• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arghhh! Need better quality than P90 better portability than 600m (1 Viewer)

Quite true Juan - there's always consideration of the particular camera and lens being used as to how fast it can wake from sleep, or from off. When setting a sleep mode, that's certainly something to decide where best to compromise.
My particular mirrorless camera wakes pretty quickly from sleep - under 1 second - and my typical birding lens is a 100-400mm that's a manual zoom, so I don't have to worry about the lens contracting and having to go back out. With the RX10 series, that's something that needs to be considered since that will add a second or so to the total time to be ready to shoot. Most mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras will likely be in the range of 1/2 second to 1 1/2 seconds to be ready to shoot from sleep mode. And I too occasionally use shortcut methods to 'wake' my camera - even with DSLRs I do this - when I first spot a bird that I think might be interesting, before the camera has even been pulled up to my eye, I half-press the shutter to start waking it - by the time I pull it up to my eye, the camera is awake and ready because of the 1/2 second to 1 second that it takes to bring up the camera and get it on target. Generally this works well for mirrorless cameras. Bridge cameras usually are a bit slower, mostly due to the retracting lens.

With my A6300, I rarely use more than one battery in a day's shoot...though I carry two extra spares just in case. In the winter, when Florida is really hopping with migration and wintering birds, my busiest days might involve 5-6 hours of shooting, and 2,000+ frames...if things are really spectacular. One battery typically takes me to 1,200 to 1,500 frames...so on those rare busy days I'll get into the second battery. I don't think I've ever needed the 3rd - but it makes me feel better to know it's there. My camera's official CIPA rating is 450...so I easily exceed that. I typically shoot in the 8fps burst mode and only use continuous frame rates when shooting BIF...for non-flying birds, I tend to keep my camera in 3fps continuous mode, and only shoot a few shots. Birds in Flight, I may shoot anywhere from 5-30 shots in a sequence - I'm not one for holding down the shutter and just firing away - I tend to do shorter bursts of 5-10 at a time, release, reacquire, and then another short burst. 8fps is more than enough for my needs with birds - I have played with faster bursts, but find they don't do any better for hit rate, rarely give me any more chance of capturing just the right position, and require me to sort through far too many photos later!

Goodness.... what cameras need 5-6 batteries a day? Is this common?

As Zackiedawg has explained, mirrorless cameras "are more tied to the time that they're on, and powering the EVF or LCD screen." I use only the EVF, as the screen consumes power. Nevertheless my Nikon V2 needs a new battery every 3.5 hours, my V3 consumes a bit more, and the J5 is worst: 2.5 hours. For a short walk one battery is often enough. In January 2017 I was laying on the river shore, shooting a water rail feeding 7m away in perfect light, when the power ran out and I had no spare. "Never again", I said to myself.

I suspect most modern cameras have a decent mileage. With a fully charged, non-defective battery, CIPA rated 400 shots or so, I'd not be worried about horror stories ("new battery after 4 or 5 shots"). For a full birding day, 11 hrs in October, any camera must be fine with 5-6 batteries, even my J5. On a nice April day, using a V2 for swallow BIF, I can take up to 10,000 shots. [Pics with a blue sky is not a worry, btw. Quickly deleted. ;) ]

Hi,

As Zackiedawg has explained, mirrorless cameras "are more tied to the time that they're on, and powering the EVF or LCD screen."

I'd include bridge cameras in this explanation, too.

[Pics with a blue sky is not a worry, btw. Quickly deleted. ;) ]

True, but I'm more concerned about pictures with the bird well in the frame and almost, but not really sharp. I'm sure it would be possible to write a program to highlight sharp areas in a picture (basically, the same algorithm that my FZ1000 uses to indicate sharp areas when using manual focus), but I've never seen that actually implemented in post-processing software.

For me, it would be a great time saver to be able to sort (and cull) bird pictures by sharpness from the thumbnail only.

Regards,

Henning

[...] I'm more concerned about pictures with the bird well in the frame and almost, but not really sharp. I'm sure it would be possible to write a program to highlight sharp areas in a picture (basically, the same algorithm that my FZ1000 uses to indicate sharp areas when using manual focus), but I've never seen that actually implemented in post-processing software.

For me, it would be a great time saver to be able to sort (and cull) bird pictures by sharpness from the thumbnail only.

Supported! Should be urgently implemented into IrfanView. - Lately I met someone with a Nex-7, and he showed me how the focus peaking in MF works. Impressive, it's a pity that Nikon1 cameras don't have the feature.

Thanks HI & Henning.... that's a relief, though I struggle with the logistics of trying to recharge 5-6 batteries overnight when on holiday and out photographing every day from dawn to dusk LOL!!

Are bridge cameras mirrrorless'?

Hi Delia,

Are bridge cameras mirrrorless'?

The criterion for battery usage is the reliance on an electronic viewfinder, as that's a compenent that consumes a lot of juice.

DSLRs that rely on a purely optical viewfinder (and a manual zoom) can be much more economic with their battery charge when they are kept on and ready.

Regards,

Henning

Thanks HI & Henning.... that's a relief, though I struggle with the logistics of trying to recharge 5-6 batteries overnight when on holiday and out photographing every day from dawn to dusk LOL!!

You just need to set the alarm clock and sleep in 3-hour intervals. - Honestly, it's an issue, I've already considered to get a dual charger for my V3, to charge two batteries simultaneously. I adore what modern cameras can do, but the technology is also demanding. To quote from a recent Thomas Stirr article:
When on an extended photography tour I do occasionally fill all 20 of my [32GB] micro-SD cards, which is why I always bring a laptop and a small 2 TB portable hard drive with me just in case!
LOL indeed.

Hi again,

The criterion for battery usage is the reliance on an electronic viewfinder, as that's a compenent that consumes a lot of juice.

Thinking about it, maybe I need to qualify this:

- Electronic viewfinders which are viewed through an eyepiece tend to have small low-resolution screen and can be switched off as long as the user is not viewing if they have the eye-detection system that is pretty standard. These probably can be quite economic as long as your eye is not glued to the viewfinder for hours on end.
- If there's a large screen on the rear of the camera, that's the one that will quickly drain your battery if left on. As there are cameras for which this is the only viewfinder they have, these are not well-suited for leaving them constantly "on" in readiness.

Regards,

Henning

A dual battery charger is always a nice thing to pick up if you get into mirrorless cameras. 4-5 batteries sounds a bit much for 1 day of shooting - I'd think 2-3 covers it for most cameras. The only time you may need more is when traveling and you won't be near any charger or outlet for more than a day.
Many mirrorless cameras can also charge a battery in the camera when plugged in with the power cord, either by wall outlet or USB, and some can even be powered by USB. When I travel, I have a dual battery charger which I can use to charge two batteries, plus I plug the camera in to charge the 3rd...all three charge at the same time, usually overnight while I sleep, and all are ready in the morning. For cameras that can power from a USB or charge via USB, even when traveling away from hotels or civilization you can bring a portable battery bank or two, and use those to either charge a battery in the camera, or to even power the camera if needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back