• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New models in BX-5 Santiam class (1 Viewer)

adhoc

Now the Leupold BX-5 Santiam class has other models than the 15x56:
in 12x50, 10x50, 10x42, 8x42.
Each is nearly twice the price of the corresponding BX-4 Pro-Guide.
The four BX-5 models above are shown by the online retailers, with photos,
but no specifications.
The Leupold website shows only the 15x56, 10x42 and 8x42,
and gives their specifications.
The website seems to give no other tech. info. yet about the new models, but says the range "breaks new ground for Leupold in the premium binocular market by going toe-to-toe with sets twice the price."
The four new models apparently do not have A-K prisms as the 15x does.
Could someone direct me to any info. on the BX-5 12x50? Thanks.

Thanks Canip. This retailer, SWFA's, site, mentions "edge to edge sharpness", which Leupold's site does not. However that is not said of the 8x42 with its 7.2 deg. FOV. FOV in BX-5 vs BX-4 is 0.2 deg. more in both 8x42 and 12x50. Both these BX-5s are longer than the BX-4s. The BX-5 8x42 is the about same, light, weight as the BX-4 but the BX-5 12x50 weighs about 100 grams more than the BX-4 12x50.

I doubt that it will have real „edge to edge sharpness“, and I think (this is a guess, not confirmed knowledge) that it‘s not a flat field bino either. Correct me if I am wrong.

This format/configuration is a nice one, the FOV about the same as a SE 12X50, everything else is good for a roof, light weight with a decent ER.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back