Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swimming Bat in Belgian Ardennes

Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 06:59   #1
creedence

Swimming Bat in Belgian Ardennes

Yesterday in daylight I was observing a small bat flying over the water in a quarry. Suddenly it dropped into the water and immediately began to swim towards a wall at the side. The swimming appeared confident and I thought the fact it was in the water was not an error it had made. It crawled up the wall for about two feet, until it reach a grassy overhang but proceeded and meandered amongst the leaf litter, fallen branches and twigs. Here it stopped moving underneath a small diameter branch, which is where we left it. Perhaps it had run out of energy, but it had gone when we returned a few hours later. Do bats deliberately swim and is that a behaviour that could identify it? It was small, like a pipistrelle. We have some not very good pictures which I may be able to send as BOC pictures later. Thanks in advance.
Old Thursday 9th April 2020, 07:39   #2
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by creedence View Post
Yesterday in daylight I was observing a small bat flying over the water in a quarry. Suddenly it dropped into the water and immediately began to swim towards a wall at the side. The swimming appeared confident and I thought the fact it was in the water was not an error it had made. It crawled up the wall for about two feet, until it reach a grassy overhang but proceeded and meandered amongst the leaf litter, fallen branches and twigs. Here it stopped moving underneath a small diameter branch, which is where we left it. Perhaps it had run out of energy, but it had gone when we returned a few hours later. Do bats deliberately swim and is that a behaviour that could identify it? It was small, like a pipistrelle. We have some not very good pictures which I may be able to send as BOC pictures later. Thanks in advance.
We noted similar behaviour in Venezuela with a bat that dropped in to a large puddle. We assumed it was sick and dying and I went to look closer, as I did so, it took flight and perched in a low bush and seemed ok. I wonder if it's some kind of bathing, cleansing?

It was the bat in this photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carollia sp,perspicillata,  Seba's or  brevicauda, Silky.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	723445  

Last edited by andyadcock : Thursday 9th April 2020 at 08:09.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: