• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Id. Amazonian snakes! (1 Viewer)

Glimmer

First from Ecuador, Amazonia. False equis?

Second from Pantanal, Brasil (not Amazonian)

Third from Bolivia, near Rurrenabaque

Thx!

Attachments

• PSX_20200421_180402.jpg
    PSX_20200421_180402.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 53
  • PSX_20200421_180613.jpg
    PSX_20200421_180613.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 48
  • PSX_20200421_180708.jpg
    PSX_20200421_180708.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 48
1 Does look like a Fer-de-Lance mimic but the rounded pupil gives it away as not that species.

2 One of the snail eating species or a Treesnake?

3 Seems to have tiny eyes, similar to Hydromorphus but no idea if they occur here.

There is a huge shortage of literatute in this area for snakes.

Last edited:
1 Does look like a Fer-de-Lance mimic but the rounded pupil gives it away as not that species.

2 One of the snail eating species or a Treesnake?

3 Seems to have tiny eyes, similar to Hydromorphus but no idea if they occur here.

There is a huge shortage of literatute in this area for snakes.

First should be Xenodon rabdocephalus, I think, cause of the round pupile and Fer de lance look like

Add another one from Pantanal

This looks good for Chironius quadricarinatus sp., eight upper labials, two posterior temporals, general appearance and locality encouraging.

A diverse and challenging genus. There is a wealth of (highly variable) pay-as-you-go literature out of which this may help : Phylogeny, diversity and biogeography of Neotropical sipo snakes (Serpentes: Colubrinae: Chironius).

Interesting thread, and thanks for posting, I'll have another look as time allows.

Regards, Steve

Here is what I think they are, I'm not a 100% sure though:

1. I would agree with Xenodon rabdocephalus

2. It's a Thamnodynastes, maybe chaquensis

3. Helicops leopardinus/polylepis

4. I would agree with Chironius quadricarinatus

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back