Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Cannibalistic Storks

Old Monday 18th May 2020, 19:40   #1
ChrisPduck

Cannibalistic Storks

Hi there!

I've been watching the Wamel (Netherlands) Stork Cam for weeks and was pleased to see that four of the five eggs had hatched. The babies were doing well and the fifth egg remained unhatched. When I logged on a couple of days ago, there were only two babies - a very big one and a tiny one. The others were gone but, paradoxically, the dead egg remained.

Research followed and I discovered that Storks often eat their babies in times of hardship but these were overloaded with frogs - the nest was heaving with them! What possessed them to eat their other babies?

Another question about the Wamel Storks. Does anyone know anything about the 'tragedy' that happened last year? Whilst researching the cannibalism I discovered several YouTube videos showing an injured mother and what looked like one remaining dead baby and some reference to starvation and a severe storm. Can anyone enlighten me as to what happened to them last year and are these the same pair?

Thanks!

Last edited by ChrisPduck : Monday 18th May 2020 at 19:42. Reason: Punctuation
Old Monday 18th May 2020, 20:52   #2
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Not exactly the same as your example, but had a pretty brutal attack by one White Stork on another nest some years ago - on my website HERE

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: