Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birds not returning to birdbox..is it dirty?

Old Sunday 17th May 2020, 13:40   #1
BabySparrow101

Question Birds not returning to birdbox..is it dirty?

We've had 2 wooden birdboxes near our fence for the past few years. We've had sparrows nesting in them. I noticed this year that no one is interested in them. I dont know why, perhaps we are supposed to clean them out? We have never cleaned them out..could there be something bad or hazardous inside and the birds know they shouldn't nest there?

Thanks !
Old Sunday 17th May 2020, 14:16   #2
PYRTLE

Ideally nestboxes should be cleaned at the very end of the breeding season or during the winter months in readiness for Spring foraging. Have they been painted or treated this year? Alternatively try resisting them somewhere quieter or safer.
Old Sunday 17th May 2020, 19:05   #3
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post
Ideally nestboxes should be cleaned at the very end of the breeding season or during the winter months in readiness for Spring foraging. Have they been painted or treated this year? Alternatively try resisting them somewhere quieter or safer.
Predictive text has undone you Pat, 'resisting' = re-siting is what you intend?

And yes, clean boxes when each season is done, they get filthy, could be full of fleas or similar and maybe why it's not been used. I have also, occasionally found dead chicks which quickly become maggot ridden.
Old Sunday 17th May 2020, 20:05   #4
PYRTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
Predictive text has undone you Pat, 'resisting' = re-siting is what you intend?
Yep, thanks Andy. I've a woodcrete nestbox that hasnt been used for the first time in over 10 years ( same location from the start ) but was inspected by both Blue and Great Tits earlier this year.
Old Sunday 17th May 2020, 21:22   #5
Euan Buchan
The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
BF Supporter 2020

Yes always best to clean boxes after use though having said that I've had Great Tits use my Camera Nestbox though past 2 years they've not nested but sometimes use it to sleep in.

www.theedinburghbirdwatcher.com

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 16:56   #6
Pmringer

We have a couple on the side of our barn. The sparrows have started to make nests on several occasions but never finish or stay in there. I am curious if the entry hole is too large or perhaps the abundance of other species interested in the house is driving occupants away. Sorry if I hijack the thread with this comment.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: