• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID Menorca. 29 September 2012. (1 Viewer)

phil baber

Clipped Wing
Europe
Very bad footage. Slowed and repeated. Not much to go on!
Came across this today and had forgotten it for years.
I remember a big fall of Robins that week. This bird appeared on an outcrop and dived for cover, soon after a Sardinian Warbler had chased a Scops Owl into a bush. The russet tail is evident. But could be a trick of strong light contrast.
Kind of Redstarty, Bluethroaty, or Robiny? What do you think?
Again apologies for horrific footage! 3:)

https://youtu.be/ZoPyT6sTjng

Seemed to get a flash of a red tail at one point but in a vid of this quality, that impression my be unreliable.

My suggestion is based also on the impression while it is perched on the rock, when the jizz seems OK for Rock Thrush, and it seems to have a rufous breast/belly. Rufous tail would also fit Rock Thrush. I don't know their status on Menorca though.

Common Redstart for me. Too small for a Rockthrush; red tail clear when it flits, and it shows an orangey breast when perched (thus not Black Redstart).

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back