• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In your opinion, the best looking binoculars are.... (1 Viewer)

I would judge a 'good look' as one that makes you want to pick them up and point them at something.
In that regard, i'm going for two i already have - the Zeiss FL 8x32 - short, stubby, robust, less lines on the armouring than the Leica, but enough to feel a little vintage...and the:
Nikon EII 8x30 - like the vintage open-top two-seater that you might get out to take The Duchess for a spin on a summer's day.....perhaps with an Epsom basket containing lobster and Champagne. The binocular equivalent of an Austin Healey Sprite.
Hello Paddy.

If I recall the 8x30 EII had sloping prism housings, very handsome.

Stay safe,
Arthur :hi:

Last edited:
This is like asking who you think the best looking woman is - everyone has a different idea of what beauty is! I also agree with John Cantelo that binoculars ought to be looked through rather than looked at (although it's certainly possible for them to be good in both departments!) and I would much rather own a butt ugly binocular with great optics than one that looks beautiful but can't cut it optically, which is why I don't own a Leitz Trinovid...

Having said all that, as far as old porros go, I personally like the look of the American B&L style (which many Japanese manufacturers followed) a little better than the Zeiss style which most European manufacturers adopted. The arch of the top edge of the prism plate, though it looks more old fashioned, seems more graceful to me than the more angular European style, and fits my hands just as well. I also like the fact that the B&L body is made in one piece. But comparing a Zephyr with say a Binuxit is like attempting to compare Bacall with Marlene Dietrich... most ungentlemanly!

Roof prisms wise, though a great many roof designs have followed the lines of the Trinovid BA/BNs, those binoculars themselves, icons though they are, are not as easy on the eye (at least to my eye) as the ELs, FLs, SFs. I can't disagree with the nickname "brick" for the x42 sizes especially. But they are a better birding tool - waterproof, durable, and optically superior - than the more elegant Leitz Trinovids that preceded them...

If looks are the sole criteria, I feel leatherette covered binoculars are prettier than rubber armoured ones, although the latter are certainly more utilitarian (a sentiment which anyone who has ever marked up the edge of a "beauty ring" will agree with, I'm sure). The Dialyts I own are both GA models, but I'd be the first to say (what on earth am I doing talking down binoculars that I own? It's not very BF Binoculars at all...) the leatherette versions of the 8x30 and 10x40 have more eye appeal to me.

I'll also admit that, nice though the leatherette Dialyts are, Leitz's Trinovids surpass them - though in the end only very slightly - in absolute cleanness and refinement of line. They also handle and point most beautifully, proving that looks and handling can be combined in one (and could be as early as the 1960s). This gentleman, in discussing the 8x32 model Trinovid, puts it far better than I could when he says that "Although the non-phase coated Trinovids did not optically match the superb Porro I binoculars they replaced, they were remarkably light-weight and compact and were a pleasure to hold with a streamlined gracefulness to their appearance which made them one of the most ergonomically and visually pleasing binoculars ever made and heralded the demise of Porro prism binoculars to the overwhelming popularity of roof prism models (even though Porro’s are an optically more efficient and less costly design than roofs)."

The photo I've attached is the same one featured in this post by its owner Artigas. I would not purchase one myself, but as something to look at, it's off the charts on my personal lust meter.

Attachments

• Leitz 10x40.jpg
    Leitz 10x40.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 81
Along with the marvellously retro styling of the leatherette Trinovids, I also particularly like the similar look of the 3rd version of the Zeiss Dialyt 8x30B
The image is from a 2017 eBay listing by over_dog

John

Attachments

• Dialyt 8x30B.jpg
    Dialyt 8x30B.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 64
Overall as a brand I think Leica's are the best looking binoculars. I happen the think the Silverline and the Retrovid are the best looking binoculars I have. Swarovski Habichts are right in there as well...

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_129d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_129d.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 123
  • fullsizeoutput_13b9.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_13b9.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0540.JPG
    DSC_0540.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 126
Overall as a brand I think Leica's are the best looking binoculars. I happen the think the Silverline and the Retrovid are the best looking binoculars I have. Swarovski Habichts are right in there as well...

Comparing the retro with the new, it is clear that Leica are masters at making modern designs and materials retain their old school charm. Remove the Leica logo from the new models, and I can still vaguely see some aspects of the older silhouettes. I think some companies are better at this than others. Brand recognition is evidently a very real thing!

Attachments

• some soda.jpg
    some soda.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 19

I have to agree Chuck. The Retrovids (and the Leitz binos they are based on, see my wife's below) are so elegant, and although I am not at all a fan of Porro binos, normally, I can never walk past the Habicht 7x42s at the British BirdFair without stopping to admire them.

Lee

Attachments

• Trinovid 8x40Reduced.jpg
    Trinovid 8x40Reduced.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 63
In your opinion, the best looking binoculars are ........
....... -> Not invented yet :eek!:

I'd give honorable mentions to the Swarovski 8x32 SV in tan colour, and not too far behind, the Nikon 8x42 MHG ...... lol - I even quite like the look of the Canon 15x50L IS (in a Darth Vader kind of way :) .... actually, there's probably lots :t:

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
I would judge a 'good look' as one that makes you want to pick them up and point them at something.
In that regard, i'm going for two i already have - the Zeiss FL 8x32 - short, stubby, robust, less lines on the armouring than the Leica, but enough to feel a little vintage...and the:
Nikon EII 8x30 - like the vintage open-top two-seater that you might get out to take The Duchess for a spin on a summer's day.....perhaps with an Epsom basket containing lobster and Champagne. The binocular equivalent of an Austin Healey Sprite.

Paddy,

You beat me to the punch. In terms of what I own, IMO the Zeiss FL 32 still looks great and up to date even if the larger models appear somewhat dated now according to some tastes.

My E II 8x30 is an anniversary edition. The dark gun metal gray color of the metal housing is really beautiful against the black leatherette armor. Even more appealing to me than the standard all black version.

For my taste, these are the two best looking bins I own.

Mike

I can't say i've ever seen an Anniversary EII - sounds very sleek!
I think i like bins to have some kind of identifiable character....it seems the latest alphas i've seen look 'corporate and efficient' but perhaps without much personality.
I'd agree the 42mm FLs look a little more dated, but there's something about the 8x32 that makes it First Grab....

I think i like bins to have some kind of identifiable character....it seems the latest alphas i've seen look 'corporate and efficient' but perhaps without much personality

I felt that. My bins all have their own weaknesses, quirks and personalities, and that's the way I like my prized possessions

Last edited:
Paddy,

You beat me to the punch. In terms of what I own, IMO the Zeiss FL 32 still looks great and up to date even if the larger models appear somewhat dated now according to some tastes.

My E II 8x30 is an anniversary edition. The dark gun metal gray color of the metal housing is really beautiful against the black leatherette armor. Even more appealing to me than the standard all black version.

For my taste, these are the two best looking bins I own.

Mike
I'm not going to argue - I like my E IIs (non-anniversary) just fine in 8x30 and 10x35. And my 8x32 FLs are far and away my favourite bins.

...Mike

I am quite fond of the way my Audubon's look. And they are fantastic performers.

Attachments

• IMG_8777aaaaa.jpg
    IMG_8777aaaaa.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 53
Leicas. Almost always. The retrovids are really great looking - best looking binoculars on the market right now. I also like the rubber Ultravids. Of course the fancy Ultravids are beautiful as well. I think the Ultravids are the best looking 32s, 42s, and 50s.
The Habichts are the best looking porros I've seen.
The Nikon MHGs are the best looking 30s and 42s come out in the last couple years.
The double or triple bridge designs have never been particularly attractive to me. The EL 50s are probably the best looking ones. The Noctivids don't appeal to me from an aesthetic standpoint, although they are the best looking double or triple bridge 42s.

I like any no nonsense functional instrument designs. Like the Hensoldt heritage Zeiss Dialyts and the porro Zeiss 7x50GA. https://www.astroshop.de/geraete/zeiss-fernglas-nautic-7x50-ga-t*/p,5269.
I like the Fujinon porros as well or the Astroluxe. Just classy.

I don't like so much penetrant styling especially when everything has to be strictly right angled or even look like molten plastic. The worst are white letterings inside the tubes like in some newer Steiners.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back