• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLR vs. Superzoom? (1 Viewer)

Marys1000

I have an old...superzoom I guess you call it - basically a digital non slr.

I haven't really gotten involved in photography and am not planning to in any extensive way. However I do want to replace my Lumix with something and it seems that a good superzoom price and a cheap slr price have possible reached some parity?

I feel like I should back up and at least ask - what does a SLR (of the lesser expensive variety) offer over a superzoom?

I haven't really gotten involved in photography and am not planning to in any extensive way. However I do want to replace my Lumix with something and it seems that a good superzoom price and a cheap slr price have possible reached some parity?

I feel like I should back up and at least ask - what does a SLR (of the lesser expensive variety) offer over a superzoom?

The ability to change lenses, larger CMOS/CCD better quality a 14mp SLR CMOS will give a better result than a superzooms smaller chip, flexibility, entry to a complete "system", the use of macro lenses, close up flash, on/off camera flash, I could go on, simples

DO NOT rule out quality shops such as LCE for pre owned.

My budget is +/- 500

I do really like zoom ability as mostly what pictures I take are of nature, birds, wildlife, pets, livestock:)
I don't take that many pictures but like decent equipment nevertheless so trying to find a good compromise
The one thing I don't like about my old Lumix is the viewfinder is very dark

I don't mind buying used SLR from a reputable place

My budget is +/- 500

I do really like zoom ability as mostly what pictures I take are of nature, birds, wildlife, pets, livestock:)
I don't take that many pictures but like decent equipment nevertheless so trying to find a good compromise
The one thing I don't like about my old Lumix is the viewfinder is very dark

I don't mind buying used SLR from a reputable place

FIVE HUNDRED POUNDS B :):t::eat:

Believe me if you have £500 to spend then look at an entry level Canon/Nikon

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/80640/show.html

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/news/525775/jessops-announces-canon-eos-500d-twin-lens-deal.html

I thought you were talking £150-200, for that money go SLR route.

Last edited:
Hi Mary
I'm not familiar with buying DSLR equipment but $500 should also get you a nice superzoom, even the newly announced Panasonic FZ47/48 (http://www.dpreview.com/news/1107/11072110panasonicdmcfz47.asp), when it comes to the market. Or, if you can't wait that long, the Panasonic FZ45 seems pretty decent. Something to consider is what sort of weight/bulk you're prepared to carry around all day. The DSLR equipment would obviously be alot heavier and bulkier than a superzoom.

There are pros and cons for both types of equipment and it's really a case of considering what will work best for your needs.

Good luck
Hobbes

OK £304 then. (you didn't say that) assumed as it's a UK site youwere talking £.

Try having a look at the members location, it usually gives a clue.:t: This might be a UK based site but it is has a worldwide membership and that is what makes it so good, expertise across the globe.

Anyway going back to the original question, the one thing I would say in favour of the superzooms is that if weight is an issue the superzoom is much easier to carry.
For nature photography a DSLR plus long zoom lens will be fairly heavy by comparison but will give the advantages others have pointed out.

Do LCE sell to the US? For me they tend to overprice their secondhand stock, there are plenty of dealers out there who offer much better deals. No doubt one of other members for the US will be able to suggest some secondhand dealers over there.

Do LCE sell to the US? For me they tend to overprice their secondhand stock, there are plenty of dealers out there who offer much better deals. No doubt one of other members for the US will be able to suggest some secondhand dealers over there.

Depends on what you want, you can buy a car from a main dealer as I have always done with some protection as you can a camera from a reputable shop as LCE is, then you can save money by going to a back street dealer and trust to luck.

Depends on what you want, you can buy a car from a main dealer as I have always done with some protection as you can a camera from a reputable shop as LCE is, then you can save money by going to a back street dealer and trust to luck.

I'm guessing from your reaction on here and on another thread that you have reasons for recommending LCE... I didn't suggest going to a 'back street dealer', but there are plenty of camera dealers around who are well established, reliable and cheaper than LCE, the following are well worth a look:

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/
http://www.mifsuds.co.uk/
http://www.ffordes.co.uk/

I can see no point in recommending a UK dealer to someone in the US - they might be a reputable dealer but imagine the time and hassle in returning something if you did have a problem. I don't know many of the US dealers but my brother has used and been very happy with http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ so they might be worth looking at.

I'm guessing from your reaction on here and on another thread that you have reasons for recommending LCE... I didn't suggest going to a 'back street dealer', but there are plenty of camera dealers around who are well established, reliable and cheaper than LCE, the following are well worth a look:

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/
http://www.mifsuds.co.uk/
http://www.ffordes.co.uk/

I can see no point in recommending a UK dealer to someone in the US - they might be a reputable dealer but imagine the time and hassle in returning something if you did have a problem. I don't know many of the US dealers but my brother has used and been very happy with http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ so they might be worth looking at.

I have no reason other than quality of service, and if suggesting that someone use a supplier simply because one has received good service is wrong then I suggest that no one asks advice on what or where to buy in the future.

Equally I could suggest Renault Inverness, Morethan insurance, CTC cycle, Donellas coffee bar Tavistock, and Inverness Police all of who I have received good service from in the past and now.

Equally I consider Jessops and especially Warehouse Express to be way overpriced and offering little quality service.

I have no reason other than quality of service, and if suggesting that someone use a supplier simply because one has received good service is wrong then I suggest that no one asks advice on what or where to buy in the future.

I have no problem with you recommending someone who has given you good service (though recommending a UK dealer to a US member seems a bit odd). Perhaps you shouldn't have assumed that I was suggesting going to a dodgy dealer. I have dealt with all three of the companies that I linked to (I wouldn't be recommending them if I had no experience of them) and all three have given excellent service.

I have no problem with you recommending someone who has given you good service (though recommending a UK dealer to a US member seems a bit odd). Perhaps you shouldn't have assumed that I was suggesting going to a dodgy dealer. I have dealt with all three of the companies that I linked to (I wouldn't be recommending them if I had no experience of them) and all three have given excellent service.

Suggesting a UK dealer to a US shopper odd, this IS the 21st century the last time I looked :t:

I buy from Japan, China, USA, Jersey!, France, in fact anywhere I can buy what I want, from a proper supplier at a good price. This is as we are told a "global" economy we are all living in.

If I did not buy from abroad I would have a problem getting half what I need, you just have to check the way you do with any retailer.

I also never said back street dealers were as you put it "dodgy", all I ment was that at the "lower" end of the market corners are cut with such things as perhaps service, backup, guarantees, I bought a Ford from a ford dealer but it was a "trade car", sold as seen, faulty door locks etc, in fact I WD40d the locks and the car was perfect for 30,000 miles till I traded it in, but it could have been a pup.

Last edited:

You could probably pick up a good second hand DSLR for $500 but remember that is the cheap part! it is the lenses that will cost you, especially long telephotos for bird photography.

Equally I could suggest Renault Inverness, Morethan insurance, CTC cycle, Donellas coffee bar Tavistock, and Inverness Police all of who I have received good service from in the past and now.

Equally I consider Jessops and especiallyWarehouse Express to be way overpriced and offering little quality service.

Everyone I know that's ever dealt with WHE have been more than happy with them in both price and service. If you've had a bad experience with them then you've been rather unfortunate I'd say.

Suggesting a UK dealer to a US shopper odd, this IS the 21st century the last time I looked :t:

I buy from Japan, China, USA, Jersey!, France, in fact anywhere I can buy what I want, from a proper supplier at a good price. This is as we are told a "global" economy we are all living in.

But you were recommending LCE based on the good service you have had and the fact that if the camera had a fault they would deal with it. This isn't much of an advantage if the buyer is in another country and will have the cost and time of shipping the item back and forth if there was a problem... Many people will buy from all over the world, I just hope they remember to factor in the cost of import duty and VAT before ordering.

I also never said back street dealers were as you put it "dodgy", all I ment was that at the "lower" end of the market corners are cut with such things as perhaps service, backup, guarantees.

But corners are not cut with the dealers that I have talking about they all offer good service and advice, and all have warranties on their used stock.

Sorry about assuming the us dollars thing vs. lbs. It is an international forum, I should have said.

Good points re weight, price of body PLUS lens. I hear you on the changing lenses thing though I would probably buy one lens with some zoom and stick to it.
While I feel the pull of a "real" camera and attending quality I think a digital point and shoot may yet still be better for me in general. The idea of trying to figure out what to buy and then looking for used is already too tiring so I must not want it bad enough. Anytime I'm getting ready for a no kidding travel trip to somewhere scenic and birdy I start wanting a real camera. But that's only once, maybe twice a year.

So my next thread will be = what is going on with digital point and shoot zooms?

Thanks

Mary

Mary,

I visited Florida in 2008 and although i managed to take some good photos, the quality was just not as good as others were achieving with DSLRs. I decided to switch to a DSLR and when I was back in Florida and was much happier with the results. If the quality of your photos is very important start with a cheaper DSLR, if you're happy with the results from a superzoom research the market for the best options.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back