• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Z5 vs D7200 (1 Viewer)

proudpapa56

Where'd you go, stay put!
United States
Would switching over from the D7200 DX format to the new Z5 full frame format be considered an upgrade for bird shots?

I am not a nikon shooter but I would predict you might be the first birder to do that switch. Everyone else would want to hear about your experiences if you go ahead.

Niels

Would switching over from the D7200 DX format to the new Z5 full frame format be considered an upgrade for bird shots?
For bird shots (where focal length of the lens plays a huge part), I can't see how how it can be any sort of a real upgrade.

There are no suitable native Z mount long focal length lenses (and who knows when they will inevitably appear in this climate - could be half a dozen years ? Canon has their new 600 & 800mm f11's ! as competitive impetus, but whether they are going to be useful for birds, especially BIF is unknown at this point), so it will be adapted F mount long lens on any Z5 for the foreseeable future.

The main drawback as far as I can see is that you lose resolution/focal length by not having the crop factor of the D7200.

Both cameras are 24MP, but your 400mm lens (say) gives a 50% larger 600mm size image on the D7200, etc. Photographic dynamic range also favours the D7200 by the time you have cropped a Z5 image to the same subject image size.

The D7200 shoots at 6fps (and 7fps in 1.3x in-camera crop mode which I find very useful) vs 4.5fps of the Z5.

AF is another area to consider. I haven't heard reviews of the Z5's performance yet, but it think it is likely to have a similar fiddly initiation to other Z cameras. I think on balance it's likely to prove to be another area where the D7200 comes out on top.

I think the Z5's strength is as an entry level FF mirrorless walkaround street camera, portraiture, etc.

The time to change might be one day, but I don't think it is any time soon.

Chosun :gh:

Thanks. Think I was just looking for a reason to buy a new camera. I'm actually very happy with the D7200, but it's "old" now.

Thanks. Think I was just looking for a reason to buy a new camera. I'm actually very happy with the D7200, but it's "old" now.

Shooting video would be a reason. D7200 is still a pretty decent camera for wildlife.

Not sure about the AF on the mirrorless nikons yet, prefer D500.

With D7200 it might be a closer call, hard to say.

It also depends on how long lenses you have and what you shoot.

Having both a DX and FX camera could have some advantages when shooting from a hide for example. Sometimes DX gives too much crop...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back