• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC range to be discontinued by Swarovski! (1 Viewer)

Sollas

I've just heard from a very reputable source that Swarovski are to discontinue the SLC range of binoculars.
Apparently, they will no longer be manufactured after existing stock has been sold. If so, I can only imagine this will come as a shock and disappointment to many.
Clearly, this is in response to the new NL along with the subsequent devaluation of the EL range.

Can anyone else confirm this or heard similar rumours?

I would find it surprising, unless they replace the whole SLC line by another.
SLCs are mainly used by hunters, and I don't think the EL or NL ranges would cut it for hunters.
Swarovski can't leave such a hole in their product lines.

Looking at the decrease of price of the SLCs in the past months, I would believe in a replacement line launch comming soon.

I’m hoping there will indeed be an improved replacement range but no news on that front from my source.

Mind you Swarovski are good at keeping their cards close to their chests until they launch any new product.

Let’s see.....

Can't speak to hunters or stargazers, but I bird and travel a ton, frequently log well over 100 birding days/year, and I can count on one hand the number of SLC's I've seen in the field in my life.

Not saying that it isn't a great binocular, but I have no doubt that there is, relatively speaking, a shedload more interest in older or "less mainstream" high end binoculars here on BF than among the birding public. I've seen ONE Habicht in use in the field, ever. I've probably seen a total of 5 E2/SEs, perhaps a total of 5 Canon IS bins, maybe 3-4 EDGs.

I'm just one example - perhaps it's a lot of coincidence, perhaps it's where I travel and bird. There are probably places in Europe where you'll see a few more of the 15x56 with monopods / finn-sticks, but I've long wondered how many SLCs get sold. Purely from a birding perspective, dropping the SLC, with the possible exception of the 15x56, seems perfectly obvious.

I wonder how the SLC really sells, perhaps Jan will chime in or perhaps someone has some numbers. To birders I have the impression (perhaps wrong?) that it must be something like 99% ELs and 1% SLC?

I missed it also, but the on the current pricelist of Swarovski there is a star * at the 42SLC range meaning: out of production and available as long as there is stock.

FWIW, we sold the SLC very well to those who weren't interested in the field flattener.
Later on, after the price discount, they sold even better.

Jan

I imagine the existing stock will clear pretty quickly once news gets out. End of an era in some respects.

Let’s hope Swarovski surprise us......

But keeping the 56mm version I guess and hope, like Zeiss with the HT54.

Maybe it's a difficult price level to get enough profit out of, the "middle" tier.

To illustrate Jan's comments in post #5 . . .

Swarovski posted new price lists in July with the introduction of the NL. Some export price lists (Hunting, Nature and Travel ones, between 2.4 and 3.4 MB in size)
can be found at: https://www.swarovskioptik.com/is-b..._US/-/USD/SPAG_CustomerService-ViewPricelists

See the example from the Nature one showing the SLC’s with the asterisk of death next to the x42 models, and the key to the symbols

John

Attachments

• SLC Line.jpg
    SLC Line.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 222
  • Key to symbols.jpg
    Key to symbols.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Can't speak to hunters or stargazers, but I bird and travel a ton, frequently log well over 100 birding days/year, and I can count on one hand the number of SLC's I've seen in the field in my life.

Not saying that it isn't a great binocular, but I have no doubt that there is, relatively speaking, a shedload more interest in older or "less mainstream" high end binoculars here on BF than among the birding public. I've seen ONE Habicht in use in the field, ever. I've probably seen a total of 5 E2/SEs, perhaps a total of 5 Canon IS bins, maybe 3-4 EDGs.

Yup, I see a lot of birders here in California since I'm active in the local birding community and lead tours for the bird festival.

I have NEVER seen someone with a 42mm+ SLC in the field. I have seen a couple of older 30mm SLCs over the years, but that is highly unusual such that I notice. Almost nobody uses porros. Everyone using Swarovski has EL models (plenty of new SVs as well as 1st gen ELs still running). Swaro is the dominant high end brand, then Zeiss (a few SF users, some Conquests, and lots of old Victory FLs), and some Leicas (and then it's nearly always 32mm UV or Trinnie BA/BN). Only ever seen a few Meoptas or Kowas (although the Kowa 883 is by far the dominant alpha scope),

As to Nikon... only one guy I know uses an EDG, I've only seen a few MHGs in the field, but Nikon Monarchs are BY FAR the most common binocular overall as they dominate the under $500 zone with birders. On a bird tour the Monarch 5 and Monarch 7 are used by most of the "beginner/intermediate" types, and I know some really good birders who use Monarchs. Then Vortex is generally #2, with Vipers being the most common. So it seems that Nikon has a broad reputation for the cheap zone, and Vortex Vipers tend to be the "step up" for someone who wants to spend ~$500 for something better.... no doubt these tropes are reinforced by the many online reviews over the years with Vipers consistently topping the "mid level" tier.

Yes folks - it looks like it's time to panic-buy. Cley Spy are now listing the 8x42s as "discontinued". Actually, I might buy a pair elsewhere, because I find them more comfortable to look through than the ELs, which have less useable eye relief and suffer from a lot of rolling ball ( at least to me ). Once they're gone, they're gone !

A lightweight 42mm from an Alpha producer starts to sound like the Nikon MHG ... a new Zeiss, Leica, or Swaro competitor in that arena of small/light would be very interesting and very appealing.

Let put it this way:

At Swarovski there are no foolsB :)

Jan
That was my basic thinking. Here is an already engineered, quality binocular and what seems like an available niche in the CL lineup. Some engineering tweaks,new armor, and a new marketing push...viola', a new binocular.

It’s the SLC 10x42 I’m worried about. One of the best 10x out there.
Maybe they’ll produce an exciting alternative ��

A lightweight 42mm from an Alpha producer starts to sound like the Nikon MHG ... a new Zeiss, Leica, or Swaro competitor in that arena of small/light would be very interesting and very appealing.

I have a hunch that the CL 40 will be on its way, maybe just in 10x40.

The reason of a 40mm objective is to keep the size and weight down.

You guys seem to be a step ahead, and the advice seems solid and a very
good idea.

Remember the idea of the Swarovski CL is "Compact and Light".

Jerry

Kinda of a shame....great binocular. I got my first one, a 10X42 in 1999. Then a 7X42 in 2008 followed by a 2011 and 2014 8X42s. I don't see how one can better the SLC at the current prices..

I have a hunch that the CL 40 will be on its way, maybe just in 10x40.

Remember the idea of the Swarovski CL is "Compact and Light".

Jerry

Hard to imagine 10x only but really none of us know, and we're here because it's fun to speculate.

Ending up with a Swaro 40/42mm CL and a new Nikon lightweight / compact alpha - an EDG level MHG essentially - would be pretty awesome. I'm not going to hold my breath but I'd be really happy with either and over the moon with both.

Hard to imagine 10x only but really none of us know, and we're here because it's fun to speculate.

Ending up with a Swaro 40/42mm CL and a new Nikon lightweight / compact alpha - an EDG level MHG essentially - would be pretty awesome. I'm not going to hold my breath but I'd be really happy with either and over the moon with both.
Shame to see the SLC go for those who like it.

The lightweight 'CL' type idea sounds very interesting though :t:

The optical engineering guts of it are already done - just repackage in one of those space age looking new CL bodies, make it out of CFRP (~600grams) and ...... winner winner chicken dinner ! :eat:

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back