• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

If you had some money to spend... (1 Viewer)

Mariolive

Hello everyone.
Let’s say you have about 3.500$ to spend on a binocular, the main objective being birding (no camera, photos, etc) in pelagic environments, but also deep woods from time to time; well, how would you spend those money?
Which bino would you buy? Which format?
This would be the only one binocular you’ll carry with you, no other formats as a backup.
You are 35 years old (with no major handshake issues), not wearing glasses.
Thanks a lot for your answers!
M

Hi,

easy, format has to be 8x42 due to dark forests and then try any of the alphas... are 3.5k USD enough for Swaro's latest NL?

Joachim

Well $3500 is more than nearly any “normal” binocular costs, so you’re basically saying “cost no object”.

I also agree with 8x42 as the proper choice, although 7x42 could be an option. Higher magnification (10x or more) isn’t as useful for pelagics (movement of the boat makes it hard to hold steady, and wide field better for scanning) or deep woods. You want a large exit pupil and a wide FOV for those types of birding.

So given the budget, that leaves you with the top dog alphas - Swaro NL 8x42, Zeiss SF 8x42, Leica Noctivid or Ultravid HD+ 8x42, or if you really want to maximize exit pupil and DOF, Leica Ultravid HD 7x42.

I would recommend you try to get your hands on these first before buying, as they are all superb, and it may come down to which one “feels” the best to you vs what someone else thinks is the best. Although the Swaro NL is an appealing option given the glowing early reviews if you want “one binocular to rule them all”.

There are many to choose from, and you don't have to spend all $3,500 on a binocular, do you. Better things for a 35 year old to spend the money on.

Andy W.

Try the alphas and see what you like best. New victory 8x32 would be tempting because it would great all around and a good travel size. If size and weight isn’t important I’d check out new Swaros and the new Meoptas when they come out. If your going to spend that much try as many as you can.

I wouldn't put all of that money into a bin....enjoy life beyond birding...a good meal with your friends, or a trip...(to go birding), ....another hobby etc....

Even if you do spend it all on bins...are you that good of a birder to warrant it, or get paid to bird as your job, or ...can you still bird on half that or a third of that?

Hello everyone.
Let’s say you have about 3.500$ to spend on a binocular, the main objective being birding (no camera, photos, etc) in pelagic environments, but also deep woods from time to time; well, how would you spend those money?
This would be the only one binocular you’ll carry with you, no other formats as a backup.
M

Do you really want or need to spend that much? ;)
If so, does it really have to be (only) on one?

If I were to spend that much on binoculars, and more so to be used in different environments, I would probably buy 2 alpha’s, or 3 or even more if considering second hand (if with good warranty like Swarovski). E.g. Swarovski EL 10x50 and some alpha 8x32 of your preference.
Different size and weight as well as different magnification and light for different situations, still having a great one if the other needs servicing, and having the possibility even to lend one when watching with friends or family...
Maybe difficult to find both new for that budget, but buying one new and one second hand should be possible.
(In addition to a compact 8x20/25mm, that is what I envision for the moment as probably an ideal setup for me, also around the same age, no major handshake issue and no eyeglasses. :) I’m only very rarely birding at the sea though. Thus other might give better, other advice considering that. Actually, a combination of binoculars and spotting scope is worth considering, for that budget.)

This is all of course under the assumption that this is not to complement some binoculars you already have. If you already have some other binoculars, it might be worth telling which ones and what you like or don’t like about them in order to orient the search.
This is also assuming you are birding from the shore. (Referring to ‘pelagic zone’ makes me wonder if you also mean from a ship? If so, people with experience in such condition might give you other advice, considering e.g. stabilty etc. E.g. lower magnification or stabilisation.)

I am not trying to talk you out of buying a Swarovski NL or similarly expensive binoculars! I would love to try them! (Very curious about the hype around über-alphas ;) ) But even if I could afford them, I wouldn’t spend all my optics budget on only one optical device, and not all at once, at least not without being 1000% sure of what I(!) need/want/enjoy/feel comfortable with etc. But that is a personal choice of course.

Last edited:
Hello everyone.
M

I'm NOT going to try to talk you out of it! Time is short!

One binocular? I'd probably go Swarovski EL 8.5X42 Swarovision. You'll still have some change too.

Hello everyone.
M
Swarovski NL 8x42.

Dennis,

I hope that you will not be disappointed with the NL after you have used it, if you are, what will you do then?

Andy W.

If money is no object whatsoever (basically assuming that outside of the $3500 you are also wealthy enough to do whatever you want), you would pick the best binocular that fits your preferences. For me, I'd pick up an 8.5x42 Swarovision and a high powered Canon IS binocular. I've not seen the 8x32 Victory SF or any of the NL series, so those could certainly be at play as well, when released.

Justin

Love you guys, thanks for your quick and honest comments.
This will be a birthday gift (so not really spending my money). I’ve been using a Nikon Monarch 5 8x42 for a couple years now, no major complaints about it but recently I put my eyes into a Noctivid 8x42 and I was completely blown away: Incredible and crispy image, wide FOV, incredible contrast. So it’s quite some time that I keep thinking buying a top notch bino, I didn’t think the difference could be that huge! Sometimes with my Nikon I felt I missed some extra magnification to catch more details about birds (when I mention Pelagic I mean from the shore, not using a boat).
So, in the case I’ll really get this gift (let me dream a little bit ☺️) I was wondering if I could use a 10x42 Alpha being an all-round bin (my Monarch will go to my brother), or if those 2x extra reach are not that Useful to catch greater level of details (due to the extra shakiness, etc.).
Again, thanks a lot for your comments!

Last edited:
Hi,

the higher magnification comes with a smaller field of view - so less easy to find stuff at closer range. I guess at 35 you will probably be able to hold a 10x reasonably stable, but it would be a good idea to try any 10x in a store to check, if that is an option.

Quite frankly, if you have really far away birds on the shore, a scope is what you need.

Joachim

The trouble is Mario most of us have completed this journey and ended up with what suits our needs, therefore our advice is biased towards those needs.

You state you were impressed by the Noctivid and that may be a fine choice for you, but you should try as many other premium offerings as you can and pick the one that works best for you.

Love you guys, thanks for your quick and honest comments.
This will be a birthday gift (so not really spending my money). I’ve been using a Nikon Monarch 5 8x42 for a couple years now, no major complaints about it but recently I put my eyes into a Noctivid 8x42 and I was completely blown away: Incredible and crispy image, wide FOV, incredible contrast. So it’s quite some time that I keep thinking buying a top notch bino, I didn’t think the difference could be that huge! Sometimes with my Nikon I felt I missed some extra magnification to catch more details about birds (when I mention Pelagic I mean from the shore, not using a boat).
So, in the case I’ll really get this gift (let me dream a little bit ☺️) I was wondering if I could use a 10x42 Alpha being an all-round bin (my Monarch will go to my brother), or if those 2x extra reach are not that Useful to catch greater level of details (due to the extra shakiness, etc.).
Again, thanks a lot for your comments!

I'm NOT going to try to talk you out of it! Time is short! ......

Spot on Chuck ! :t:

One binocular to rule them all ?

Probably the new Swarovski 8x42 NL Pure.

You should very much check them with your own eyes to see if they work for you - sometimes intangible factors rule the day. I would also be comparing them against the Zeiss 8x42 SF, Leica NoctiVid 8x42 (since you liked them so much), and the Swarovski 8.5x42 SV as Chuck said.

The new Swarovski NL Pure may change the game for a 10x bin. At your age you will definitely appreciate the 5mm+ Exit Pupils of the 8x, but with the Swarovski 10x42 NL Pure now offering 133m@1000m Fov - it is in fact the same Fov as the 8.5x SV !! Something of a free lunch then !

If you do find the 133m Fov of the 10x42 NL sufficient, then be sure to check them in dimmer conditions, looking under canopies/into deep shadow, and compare them against the 8x for brightness. Also check side by side for glare performance. Also check rapid refocusing at different distances in all those conditions against the 8x to see if you can lock-on quickly and accurately enough. With whatever bin and format you go for also check long time frame fatigue and steadiness - does this sway the decision one way or another ..... ?

It is quite possible that the 10x42 NL could be what you're after. I would steer clear of other models 10x, as I don't think they quite cut the all-rounder mustard Fov-wise.

Good luck with your choice and happy viewing.

Chosun :gh:

Was I was surprised that a couple of choosers have gone for a binocular that neither has looked through yet?
Not really, as it is a hypothetical question. Others alter the goalposts, meal / holidays and so on.

I would pick an 8 x 42 Zeiss SF for the needs you presented.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back