• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterfly superzoom? (1 Viewer)

Fernley

Hi folks

Sorry if this has been covered before - wasn't obvious to me from the first few pages of threads I looked at.

I have a Nikon CP 8400 which I'm still trying to learn to use for macro photos. Unfortunately, I've found that the max zoom at c. 80mm equivalent is +/- useless for butterflies. I've resorted to taking photos through my binos with often less than fantastic results. So I'm considering 2 options:

• Buy Nikon's 3 x extender (adding 2-300 g to the camera weight)
  • Buy a new superzoom. I've my eyes on the FZ50 so far but keep hoping that a new one will be introduced which will sweep all before it (e.g. Canon H5?)
This is for a trip to Paraguay in November. My birding/entomological friends there swear by their superzooms (Kodak in both cases) because of the reduced weight compared to an SLR set up.

The aim is mainly to produce identifiable photos, but it's possible that some will make it to a website or publication devoted to the subject.

Thanks for your opinions

Fernley

The FZ50 is a cracking camera but has one or two limitations you should bear in mind.
It uses an electronic viewfinder , like most non DSLRs , which can sometimes jitter when in macro mode making focusing difficult.
Panasonic cameras have a reputation for being noisy at higher ISOs. The FZ50 is no exception.
All that having been said it IS an excellent camera and good value for money.

The FZ50 is a cracking camera but has one or two limitations you should bear in mind.
It uses an electronic viewfinder , like most non DSLRs , which can sometimes jitter when in macro mode making focusing difficult.
Panasonic cameras have a reputation for being noisy at higher ISOs. The FZ50 is no exception.
All that having been said it IS an excellent camera and good value for money.

...So I bought a second hand FZ-50 from ebay [!!] in the end. I was very pleased with the results, especially when coupled with a Raynox clip-on macro lens.

Focussing could be a bit difficult with this combination, but given the skittish tendencies of the subjects I think I did as well as possible & comparable to using an SLR. I was using it in the [sub-]tropics - loads of light - which helped with the noise issue. So I'd recommend this combo to anyone else. Got especially good results in the "studio" taking macro photos of [for example] dragonfly specimens. A low cost way to macro photos of sufficient quality for scientific publications.

Alas mine is now doing good work in South America and I miss it. If anyone'd like to sell me another one cheap I'd be very interested...

Cheers

Fernley

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back