• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors - UK (1 Viewer)

i think: usually the smaller birds mob the bigger birds (buzzard is a classic "victim" of kestrels, crows etc.). the bigger one (?) seems to be a buzzard, hard to tell what the smaller one is (if it is indeed smaller) but most probably not a kite. kites are bigger, i.e. longer winged than common buzzards.

If the birds are close together then it surely can't be a kite. In flight they would appear to be of similar size.
While birds of prey do get territorial during the breeding season I can't recall any negative buzzard-kite interactions here in the Chilterns where both are numerous.
I also can't recall ever seeing a large raptor mobbing a smaller one, except when trying to rob food.

Last edited:
The Kite? could be further away than the Buzzard?........

Without meaning to be argumentative (genuinely); I've observed Buzzards, Ravens and Crows attacking Red Red Kites myself.

I also feel that whilst a Red Kite might have a marginally longer wingspan; it doesn't give anything like the same impression of bulk as a Buzzard.

PS: Do you not think that the tail is visible on the second pic?

I'm struggling to believe that's a red kite in that photo.
Size notwithstanding it almost looks like a hobby feeding on the wing.

Points all duly noted, the person that took the photograph assures me that the birds were "about the same size" though.

Thanks.

Any other appraisals greatly appreciated of course.

I think the photo is so vague that you really cannot say either way. To try and pull out tail shape from that blur is a a question of faith too far, I'm afraid!

You're just gonna have to leave it as a 'don't know', as it could be a crow, a kite, another buzzard, almost anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back