• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (3 Viewers)

I imagine in Finland you need a spotlight to see what's in the garden at this time of year;)

Yes, quite so. 5 hours/day light enough to see something. And I'm in work for that time.
Ok - weekends I have a chance to see what happens in the garden. Actually, I made a new "Winter-record" on December 2nd: 21 species in my garden (or above it)! I couldn't believe my own eyes. I hardly get that much birds even in the summer months.

A two hour window vigil yesterday failed to produce any Goosanders - nor anything else. Won't see daylight at home until Xmas Day now - not much chance of anything new now I think...

But you never know!

I am afraid my little patch of urban habitat has been severely put to shame by some of you.

Nevertheless, I shall be starting the new year with new hopes as usual.

Despite nothing new for the last quarter of the year I am always delighted by the behavior of the regulars and occasionally surprised such as when a pair of goldcrests decided to make an assault on my fat balls the other day. Not only are these a rarity for me, but never heard of them coming to feeders before.

Here's hoping that this winter brings a few more siskins redpolls or (in my wildest dreams) a hawfinch flyby.

I don't suppose turkey counts? Merry xmas to all:flyaway:

93. Short-tailed Hawk

Not looking good for hitting a hundred before New Years here. A fair bit of travelling which included two big CBC's in other parts of the country slowed down the backyard birding.

The neighbourhood numbers however are hovering around 132 which is a nice treat so there's that.

This has been fun and I've learned loads from everyone. I hope to jump into the 2018 garden list when we get back here in the spring.

The best of the season to everyone.
Cheers,
Bryan

I am afraid my little patch of urban habitat has been severely put to shame by some of you.

Nevertheless, I shall be starting the new year with new hopes as usual.

Despite nothing new for the last quarter of the year I am always delighted by the behavior of the regulars and occasionally surprised such as when a pair of goldcrests decided to make an assault on my fat balls the other day. Not only are these a rarity for me, but never heard of them coming to feeders before.

Here's hoping that this winter brings a few more siskins redpolls or (in my wildest dreams) a hawfinch flyby.

I don't suppose turkey counts? Merry xmas to all:flyaway:

FWIW Paul....I've never had Goldcrest on fat balls, however I can remember seeing an image of a Firecrest on a feeder from a Hampshire garden a number of years ago. Regarding flyover Hawfinch...once had one flying over the Inns of Court in central London a couple of years back...early May....you just never Know! and Seasons Greetings to all. :t:

Well, with just an hour to go before I set off to work, I think I'll declare on 73/74 (pigeon!).

Highlights this year for me:

Cuckoo
Crossbill
Hawfinch
Waxwing

with runners up

Green Woodpecker
Woodcock
Merlin
Hobby

Next year I'll have the full 12 months at my new place - so I hope I'll beat this part one.

All the best with the next one, coming up very soon!

I have never really bothered with a garden list until this year but moving to a new house and being a bit limited by a bad hip I have done a lot of back garden watches this autumn and winter. All religiously entered on to eBird.

71 species with highlights being Hawfinch twice, Firecrest (one of only two in the county this year) and a very high Short-eared Owl. Five Ravens last Saturday.

Looking forward to building the list up in 2018.

Steve

I can't remember when I last updated but I look to be finishing on 42 with latest additions:-
Jay - 1st October
Tawny Owl - 13th November
Coal Tit & Great Spotted Woodpecker - 31st December

Highlight Great White Egret.

I'll try and keep a better tally next year....

All the best

77 for me, although I am sat at the window watching the feeders as I type - still holding out for a Redpoll to sneak down with the siskins!

A lower total than the previous couple of years, but with 10 new to the garden birds, still a pretty exciting year. Highlight was the flyover Sandhill Crane - I think I can still feel my jaw dropping now.

Also took my overall garden list up to 99....

Wishing everyone a bird-tastic, healthy, and happy 2018.

86 for me in what was our first full year here, a good 10 or so down on totals we would see at our old place. Some good quality birds for our altitude though, Golden Oriole and Lesser spotted Woodpecker the highlights though my favourite is our Alpine Accentors that has adopted us in the past few weeks, not seen it today which is a worry for the 2018 list!
Happy and bird-filled New Year to you all.

My 2017 total is 78 counting Feral Pigeon, which here include some apparently wild sea cliff breeders so could claim some as Rock Dove. Total also includes Common Waxbill, which are pretty common round these parts - see them most days from home. So strictly native wild birds total is 76. I started properly this year at the end of March so a little head start next year may bring a larger list, hopefully.

Highlights were Arctic Skua, Audouin's Gulls, Honey Buzzard, Hen Harrier and pride of place to my garden Yellow-browed Warbler.

Passerine migrants were fun and I got most of the reguar ones and a midsummer Common Magpie across the way on a neighbour's roof was bizarre.

Looking forward to more good birds at home next year.

Happy New Year everybody!

I finished on 54 for 2017. Only 3 added in the second half of the year.
A garden warbler on 30th July was a first for the garden as was feral pigeon.
Some flyover greylags completed the count last week. I need to spend more time at home instead of on the Nofolk coast to have any chance of improving next year.
Happy new year to everyone and good luck for 2018

Few additions on 2017 list:

#62. Arctic Redpoll - I have been watching pack of Redpolls whole December and trying to look these beauties, but first one I can deffenetly to ID was 26th day.

and then couple of sp's from preveosly:

#63. Sterna sp - this was July 6th. I couldn't tell was it Arctic or Common
#64. Anser sp - September 28th. Probably Bean Goose (tundra or Taiga), but also it could been Greater White-fronted.

64 species was 2 lesser than previous year.
Highlights of the year were Curlew, Wood Sandpiper, Great White Egret and finally the best of all Red Crossbill. B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back