• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ethiopia Feb 2020 independent budget (1 Viewer)

Well, with more research:

KittyKat: rather than spend 3 days at Bale itself, there are sites nearby that are well worth doing (Harenna, Gaysay, Sanetti, eg) with good mammals.

What's your default must-haves?

Like Andy, I'm not likely to return to Ethiopia, so would like to see as much as possible.
There are 340+ ticks for me, and I've been to Africa a few times!

H

My must haves just to spend some time with the wolves, starck's hare and hopefully see a giant mole rat and get some good views of geladas. That's really it as far as must haves. Everything else is just gravy. When I was planning the trip in 2015 I was looking at around 3 weeks but I can't do more than 2 this side of april. After April I could do longer

So for Bale area as Richard said there's other good habitat there and what I had hoped to do was have a night in the dinsho area and 3 nights based in Goba , from there we would cover senetti plateau and Harenna forest etc

The other sites I hoped to fit in were Awash specifically to have one evening to watch all the Hyenas emerge from local caves, but there's good birding there too..

The rift valley lakes and surrounds so Debre zeit, Ziway and Langano on the way up and awassa on the way back down plus stopping at Debre libanos for the geladas.

That already takes us over the 2 weeks and I had also planned to include a few other sites. But obviously for a shorter tour there would need to be some cutting down.

It was being planned out with both birds and mammals as a focus. The details of a 16 night version of the tour are here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/.../edit?usp=drivesdk&ouid=117289395145931489350

Things look a little unsettled in Ethiopia at the moment, there is a possibility that a bid for autonomy for the (?) Sidamo region/state could spark turmoil on the 18th. There are displaced ethnic groups in Awassa already.
Watch this space.

Things look a little unsettled in Ethiopia at the moment, there is a possibility that a bid for autonomy for the (?) Sidamo region/state could spark turmoil on the 18th. There are displaced ethnic groups in Awassa already.
Watch this space.

Things are always a little unsettled in Ethiopia :)

OK, I've been working on an itinerary, & I'm going to set out an approximation for discussion.

I'm not going to name every site and endem specifically - and I'm still open to suggestions.

Looking at the logistics and endems important to most people, the following gives us a chance at every endem except two. These are: White-headed Babbler and Somali Wheatear. The former is too far NW, & the second too far NE.
However: the second is easy near Dire Dawa - and if some want to add on a short flight after the two weeks from Addis, I think this would be a solution. I haven't looked at the logistics for a Babbler side trip.

So, here is my idea:

1) Addis to Portuguese Bridge (this assumes everyone is ready for an early start day 1, which might mean some turning up the day/evening before for a rendezvous)

2) Jemma Valley & Escarpment

3) Jemma again onto Ankober region

4) Gemesa Gedel area to Doho area.

5) Aledeghi Plains to Awash

6) Awash

7) to Awassa via Lake Besaka

8) Wondo Genet to Bale

9) Bale

10) Bale/Harenna

11) to Negele region onto Yabello

12) Yabello

13) Rift lakes

14) back to Addis

Let me know how this sounds, I'll fill in some specific sights and hotels later. This depends on logistics and possibilities for overnight stays, travel times etc.

Last edited:
Hi

It seems I made an error with my leave and actually have a few more days available than I thought. What are people's views on making this a slightly longer trip to allow for an extra day or two in Bale?

All the best

Jo

Hi

It seems I made an error with my leave and actually have a few more days available than I thought. What are people's views on making this a slightly longer trip to allow for an extra day or two in Bale?

All the best

Jo

None of my business now really as I pretty much ruled myself out but there are already 3 nights scheduled at Bale.

Have you considered the possibility of being left there by the group and picked up a few days later, not sure if that could work or not but 4-5 nights there is possibly going to rule more people out than in unless this becomes more of a dedicated mammal trip?

Hi Richard,

I hope things go well with you?

We were in touch with each other, some time ago, about this trip. I have just sent you a further e-mail, following your last one to me.

Ethiopia still remains of keen interest to me.

You were previously very happy to consider me for your trip.

If you are still happy to do so, then I remain very interested.

Please could you let me know ?

Kind regards, Carol

Hi, all.

(Hope you got my pm reply, Carol?)

As people are asking for further details re costs I'm going to start getting quotes today. But see upthread for earlier estimates.

It would be very useful to know numbers, as this is the single most cost-affecting aspect.

If we have over 4 people there is an option for a second vehicle, or perhaps a minibus rather than, say, a Landcruiser.

So, say 2 4x4s each with 3 might be ideal, giving us greater flexibility for anyone who might wish to extend the trip (assuming those that might all agree on what's going to happen on those extra days!)

Further: accommodation: would people prefer the more "luxurious" end of the hotel spectrum, where possible - or prefer to cut costs and put up with cheaper options (some sites don't give us much option, however)?

So, if those who've expressed an interest could give me conditional commitment - and preferences or, "yes, ifs" this would help.

Thanks all.

R

I've had a reply for driver & 4x4 (he says some roads not suitable for a van) works out at $160 per day inc drivers accommodation & fuel - so multiply by 14 and divide by 4 per vehicle...= $560 each.

Accommodation, to me being in the right location is most important. There may be some sites where a particular lodge has been favoured for the reason of certain desirable wildlife being seen on the premises (would need to check trip reports etc). Other than that I have no real preference. I would even consider mobile camping but I think rooms would probably be preferable.

Is the driver just a driver or is your intention to get an experienced bird/wildlife guide to drive us?

Cheers

Jo

Re Accommodation. Agree with Jo re the location of the accommodation.

I have mobile camped before, in Botswana and The Gambia and am used to a basic level of camping, but in each case there was a ( bucket ) shower and toilet ( long drop or flushing ) and the tents were put up and down by others. I wouldn't want to be having to dig a hole and put tents up and down myself , ideally.

I agree with Jo that rooms would probably be preferable.

I have no problems with bush stops.

Vehicle

Shame that a minivan isn't an option.

I suspect 4 in a landcruiser, plus driver / guide, luggage and camping gear ?? would be quite a squeeze, so feel that, like you, Richard, 3 might be better, although I am not entirely clear how large a Landcruiser is there ?

Do the vehicles come with air conditioning?

Dates . I am very flexible about length of trip. Longer trips or add ons are possibles for me.

I am keen on both birds and mammals. In Africa I have previously visited South Africa, twice; Swaziland; The Gambia ; Botswana and small bits of Namibia and Zambia.

Last edited:
OK, great, I'll wait for a few more quotes.

A Landcruiser is a large 4x4 , but 4 plus driver might be too much.
If we can get six , then 3 per 4x4 would be ideal and flexible - obviously increases the cost by the difference in the maths.

Great. I'm with the rest of you (so far) on accommodation - sitting most important. And yes, a few hotels are a must - but I think accommodation will be v reasonable.

In view of Brexit it might be worth booking/paying for flights and accommodation before end Oct!

We need to agree dates fairly soon.

I'll get back with further details soon.

Dates are totally open right now so no issues there. I would tend to agree that if we are using the same vehicles throughout that 3 passengers plus a driver is optimal. In Brazil we were 4 and the person in the middle back seat was often very uncomfortable especially on long journeys and that was when we had a range of different transfers and drives / activities. Hope that helps.

Accommodation, to me being in the right location is most important. There may be some sites where a particular lodge has been favoured for the reason of certain desirable wildlife being seen on the premises (would need to check trip reports etc). Other than that I have no real preference. I would even consider mobile camping but I think rooms would probably be preferable.

Is the driver just a driver or is your intention to get an experienced bird/wildlife guide to drive us?

Cheers

Jo

Thank you Richard.

Re dates, I am completely flexible, at present on when and how long.

Re Jo's question above : " Is the driver just a driver or is your intention to get an experienced bird/wildlife guide to drive us? " - will you be getting comparative quotes for either ?

Re the Vehicle , is it open -sided or enclosed, with air con ? Is it the same vehicle for all travel or , say, different in Awash?

I can pay as soon as is necessary .

Kind regards, Carol

Last edited:
The driver is just a driver, you would pay quite a bit more for a guide. I think they'll be enough expertise amongst us to make the extra expense unnecessary. And I'm not a big fan of guides - always feels like cheating!

I'll make sure the vehicle has aircon.

But, we need to get the sites nailed on and GPS co-ordinates sussed.

If anyone is very opposed to this, let me know.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back