• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colour-ringed White-shouldered Starlings (1 Viewer)

johnallcock

As part of a long-term monitoring project of White-shouldered Starlings breeding in Hong Kong, we have been colour-ringing individuals of this species.
A few have been ringed in each year since 2006. This year, however, we have considerably increased effort (helped by the provision of more nestboxes). A total of 283 individuals have been colour-ringed so far this summer.

These birds are now starting to disperse away from the breeding sites, and over the next few weeks should disperse across Hong Kong and further afield into Southern China. We think that birds probably winter in South-east Asia, but the actual wintering location of Hong Kong birds has not yet be proven.

I would like to ask anyone with the opportunity to check flocks of White-shouldered Starlings to keep an eye open for colour-ringed birds. Birds are ringed with a combination of a metal ring and one or two coloured rings on the right leg, and three coloured rings on the left leg.

If you are lucky enough to see any of these birds, I would be grateful if you could contact me (e-mail available through PM) or post the pictures on this website or the Hong Kong Bird Watching Society website (see thread at http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/viewthread.php?tid=1334&extra=page=1). Please provide any available information, including location (as accurately as possible, with GPS location if possible), age, sex, flock size and behaviour.

Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back