• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Eagle takes lamb (1 Viewer)

I did see a series of photos taken at Vane Farm RSPB reserve of a WTE killing a Buzzard last winter. Can't remember which site I saw them on.....If I can find them, I'll post a link.

Just remembered, those were the ones that i saw!

The other ones i saw were taken somehwere in scandinavia. Two eagles against a buzzard, which suffered serious scarring before someone ran in to save it. I cant remember the site though. Shame, it had some really good photos.

thanks stonefaction
If you take a look at these photos i hope you can understand my concerns. I dont want our buzzards suffering the same fate as this one. Merciless, must have been such a painful way to die

thanks stonefaction
If you take a look at these photos i hope you can understand my concerns. I dont want our buzzards suffering the same fate as this one. Merciless, must have been such a painful way to die

It's the way those evil Buzzards tear the worms to shreds that gets me. Every time.

I am listening to Tom Ravenscroft (John Peel's son) on BBC 6 Music at the moment. Every Friday night they have a five minute feature about birds, as one of the production team is interested in birding. The first item this week was the photograph in the papers of a Golden Eagle carrying off a lamb ... That photo is certainly getting about and making an impression!

Ron

You are lucky having so much WTEs, and lots of goshawks. WTEs are more powerful than golden eagles, and unless the golden eagle really goes for it, the WTE usually wins fights between the two.

Over here, we only have about 30 pairs of WTE compared to about 400 pairs of golden eagle. Despite this I have only seen one golden eagle compared to five WTEs

Hi the trouble is with the sea eagles realeased over here, is the way they were reared in captivity, the first batch were reared in full view of the human careers, and were inprinted, and under normal circumstances the Golden Eagle is the most aggresive, but because these birds were reared like this they have no fear of man, and do not know they are sa eagles, this is why they attack and kill golden eagles, the other bird the dont like is the heron, on mull two of the main heroneries have been wipped out, they dont eat them just kill them, the first golden eagle killed by a sea eagle was over bloody bay on mull the w.t.s.e. grabbed the golden and literally drowned the bird, i believe this was also witnessed by the auther mike tomkies, during his studying on the adnumurchan penninsular, on mull you can see white tailes at the side of the rd, to see a golden eagle you would have to trail the hills.

It's the way those evil Buzzards tear the worms to shreds that gets me. Every time.

:-Oha ha

Yes i know its just nature but there is some difference between a worm and buzzard. worms have no brain, they just have nerves. At least a buzzard is a reasonably intelligent, magnificent bird of prey, and i do feel for a buzzard more than i would feel for a worm.

Hi the trouble is with the sea eagles realeased over here, is the way they were reared in captivity, the first batch were reared in full view of the human careers, and were inprinted, and under normal circumstances the Golden Eagle is the most aggresive, but because these birds were reared like this they have no fear of man, and do not know they are sa eagles, this is why they attack and kill golden eagles, the other bird the dont like is the heron, on mull two of the main heroneries have been wipped out, they dont eat them just kill them, the first golden eagle killed by a sea eagle was over bloody bay on mull the w.t.s.e. grabbed the golden and literally drowned the bird, i believe this was also witnessed by the auther mike tomkies, during his studying on the adnumurchan penninsular, on mull you can see white tailes at the side of the rd, to see a golden eagle you would have to trail the hills.

Heronries being wiped out is definitely worrying. They should have been raised like they would have been the wild (or as close as they could get). But there's nothing that can be done now.

on mull you can see white tailes at the side of the rd, to see a golden eagle you would have to trail the hills.

Rubbish! I have seen Golden Eagles many times from the roads on Mull as I do not "trail the hills" as you put it. I also find your assertion that Sea Eagles have wiped out "two of the main heroneries" on Mull and that "they dont eat them just kill them" somewhat suspect - have you considered there just may be other reasons for heronries to decline or change location or do you have some hidden anti-Sea Eagle agenda?

But aren't they of falconer's birds - ie not natural behaviour. Predators in the wild wouldn't normally risk such a risky interaction ... ??

Similarly, a large animal like a sheep would be likely to defend its young from a Golden Eagle attack (which would normally be offputting to an adult Eagle under normal circustances?) - newborn lambs are not just out there on their own ...

Also, the footage i saw of wolf hunting involved multiple Eagles set upon the wolf,horrible to watch to be fair.

WTEs are more powerful than golden eagles, and unless the golden eagle really goes for it, the WTE usually wins fights between the two.

I seem to recall this particular myth being dispelled some time ago.

WTE were thought to be dominant over GE because of size etc. as GE were apparently displaced from breeding/wintering areas by WTE. When this was studied it turned out that WTE, being a larger bird and having a longer gut, digested it's food at a slower rate and needed to eat less often than GE so was better suited to marginal habitat...which is where the displacement had been noted.

cheers
martin

Rubbish! I have seen Golden Eagles many times from the roads on Mull as I do not "trail the hills" as you put it. I also find your assertion that Sea Eagles have wiped out "two of the main heroneries" on Mull and that "they dont eat them just kill them" somewhat suspect - have you considered there just may be other reasons for heronries to decline or change location or do you have some hidden anti-Sea Eagle agenda?

the heroneries were wiped out by the white tails the first was witnessed by several locals, and it was where the second pair of w.t.s.e. established themselves, and bred in the same trees, a well known local man, along with a local restrantur witnessed the killings, yes you are right re seeing golden eagles from the rd if you are in the right place at the right time, I was using it as a comparison, as you are more likely to see a sea eagle close up than a goldie, and no you are wrong that i have it in for w.t.s.eagles, it is the way they were reared, and realeased, I myself have been involved with the breeding and realease of some birds of prey, so I do know what is involved, I also have many letters from the authorities re these incidents, which will be published in my book.

I seem to recall this particular myth being dispelled some time ago.

WTE were thought to be dominant over GE because of size etc. as GE were apparently displaced from breeding/wintering areas by WTE. When this was studied it turned out that WTE, being a larger bird and having a longer gut, digested it's food at a slower rate and needed to eat less often than GE so was better suited to marginal habitat...which is where the displacement had been noted.

cheers
martin

I do remember reading this somewhere. Although WTEs do win some fights against goldies

Hi and good morning, yes I have witnesed this, the eagles drive the deer towards a cliff edge and try to drive them over the edge, they can then go feed on the dead animal, as far as I am aware Golden eagles have never been recorded trying to kill deer outright, enjoy this glorious sunshine.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back