• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (6 Viewers)

Of note today 3 Green 1 Common Sandpiper Kingfisher Yellow Legged Gull plus all the usuals. Water level below gate so what loss will be down to water table and evaporation. Water level 69.40. Rich

Wth Kev today 1 BT Godwit 1 Green and Common Sanpiper 1 Kingfisher 2 Egrets there was 7 on Wed evening Egp Goose 2 Pochard and Shovler G C Greab with 2 chicks on her back . Now with the influence of Rich S, Sean, Dave B Matt and Kevin found 3 Marbled White butterflies at Tices yes may be common but nices to id properly. Also 3 Evening Primrose growing on mound. Rich.

Wth Kev today 1 BT Godwit 1 Green and Common Sanpiper 1 Kingfisher 2 Egrets there was 7 on Wed evening Egp Goose 2 Pochard and Shovler G C Greab with 2 chicks on her back . Now with the influence of Rich S, Sean, Dave B Matt and Kevin found 3 Marbled White butterflies at Tices yes may be common but nices to id properly. Also 3 Evening Primrose growing on mound. Rich.

The Black-tailed Godwit was still present at 21:30. The Egret number got up to four birds by the end of the day.

Kevin.

Visit this first thing this morning for nearly three hours produced 47 different species, including one Green Sandpiper, two Common Sandpipers at least three LR Plovers a Kingfisher and just the one little Egret. No sign of the Black Tailed Godwit though. All the rest were what is regular fair at Tices but good to see the variety.

Jon

Redshank today Green and Common Sandpiper, Reed, Willow Warbler, White Throat, Chiff Chaff, Blackcap, Bullfinch, Grey Wagtail, 7 Little Egrets pm.

Managed to get down this morning, 3 Green Sands, approx. 19 Lapwing, 3 Common Tern, 3 Reed Warbler, a Sedge Warbler, presumably a migrant, which showed briefly in the reed bed, 2 Little Grebes nest building on the Silt Pool, a pair of Great Crested Grebes with a chick, pair of Egyptian Geese with 3 Goslings, Chiffchaff, & 2 Stock Doves.

John.

A good couple of days with proof (3 goslings) of the first breeding Egyptian Geese at the site. Other breeders included BH Gull and Common Tern (both with juveniles) at least 2 pairs of GC Grebe with 1 chick each and plenty of Mallard ducklings. My best number of Little Egrets was seen on Saturday with 6 birds mid afternoon.

Gulls were represented by Herring Gull, LBB Gull, an adult YL Gull (Saturday and Sunday), an adult Common Gull (first returning bird of the year?) and the ever present and breeding BH Gulls.

On Sunday 2 Green Sandpipers (1 juv) fed in front of the mound and there was at least 30 Lapwings including juvenile birds. Good numbers of Stock Dove - this species seems to have done well this year.

Willow, Chiffchaff and Reed Warblers were all calling.

When I arrived on Sunday there was a lone Scot swimming in the workings; I asked him to leave and he sheepishly did so after a further chat with Rich H. He told us it was the second time he had swam in there. Hopefully this was his last time. 2 horses are still in the meadow with a further 2 in the traveler's garden; I expect we'll see all 4 in soon.

Insect news - Brown Hawker, Common Blue and Black tailed Damselfly present along with a Broad-bodied Chaser on the path and Banded Demoiselle in the Blackwater.

Butterflies were represented by Small Skipper, Marbled White, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Large White, Peacock, Ringlet and Speckled Wood.

Last edited:
Quick visit late afternoon; Common and Green Sandpipers present as was the adult Common Gull. A male Sparrowhawk was chased over the workings by apparently every passerine on site.

Little Grebe now has a nest on one of the settling ponds.

Common Hawker, Black-tailed Skimmer and a Variable Damselfly were additions to the year's Dragonfly list and having initially been dispondent about the lack of Butterflies this year it is pleasing to see large numbers of butterflies around the meadow and scrub area.

Last edited:
Dear all just a few notes from yesterdays Tices Restoration Meeting at Ash Lock with Simon Elson SCC Steve Bailey BVCP and Andy Duncan Hansons.
Steve to put us in touch with local Police to see if they can respond quicker to problems and not having to wait 2 or more hours.
Andy stated Hansons have still to complete weed wipe of self seeded Willow. Asked if they would do Wheatear Field also.
We have have been given the ok to cut Willow in reed bed providing H&S in place and Ali plant manger informed. Any one up for Sat 24th Aug?
ECB will be cutting under eletric cables soon . Any evidence of breeding birds please let me know.
Tree planting along A31 and down to Kiln this year to get Forestry Commission grant.
Hansons to complete demolition of plant yard and earth works by the end of this year.
Rich.

Dear all just a few notes from yesterdays Tices Restoration Meeting at Ash Lock with Simon Elson SCC Steve Bailey BVCP and Andy Duncan Hansons.
Steve to put us in touch with local Police to see if they can respond quicker to problems and not having to wait 2 or more hours.
Andy stated Hansons have still to complete weed wipe of self seeded Willow. Asked if they would do Wheatear Field also.
We have have been given the ok to cut Willow in reed bed providing H&S in place and Ali plant manger informed. Any one up for Sat 24th Aug?
ECB will be cutting under eletric cables soon . Any evidence of breeding birds please let me know.
Tree planting along A31 and down to Kiln this year to get Forestry Commission grant.
Hansons to complete demolition of plant yard and earth works by the end of this year.
Rich.

Rich,

Aug 24 looks good to me. Watch this space. Thanks for all your help on this - being the middle-man between the Bird Group and Hansons/BWVP cannot be easy.

New breeders this year, although I am probably wrong are:

Egyptian Goose (3 goslings)
G C Grebe (2 pairs with one chick each)
Cuckoo (juv seen in reed-bed, probable breeder)

Poss breeders:

Pochard
Gadwall
Water Rail (a pair calling in the reed-bed 2 days ago)
LRP (not seen any fledge young this year)
Lapwing (as above)

Confirmed breeders (less passerines):
BH Gull,
Common Tern
Little Grebe (on nest now)
Mute Swan (4 cygnets)
Stock Dove (numbers have increased)

I would suggest that Hansons need to act quickly with neighbours before we have a herd of horses on the meadow. I suspect we'll see 4 horses near the Kiln in the next couple of weeks. Caravans and tarmacked drives next!

10-12 this morning - 2 green sand, 1 common sand, ringed plover, 43 lapwing, 7 little grebe, 6 stock dove, 6 common tern inc a juv.B :)
I second rich's praise for rich h, thanks for all your hard work with Hanson et al, can't make the 24th I'll be in majorca.

John.

Dear all just to update you Tony of the BVCP has stepped in to help us clear willow from the Wheatear field and reed bed on Tus 6 th Aug at 10 30 am with some of his volunteers from the BVCP at the galv gate op car sales garage Lowerfarnham Rd. I do understand most s are working but if you can smashing.
We can use the 24th for anything we have missed and other tasks.
Most improtant that Kevin gets all your stats ie breeding no breeding birds and any thing else to.
Apart from all the usuals today found Snipe that Andy had reported by bike pool 2 Green 2 Common sandpipers.
Rich.

Rich,

Thanks for the updates and all you're doing. 24th Aug looks good for me at present, will be happy to help out with whatever needs doing.

Matt

Notes for today Red Kite over 2 pm am 3 Green Sand 2 Common 3 L Egret 5 LRP Peregrine and 1 Ring Plover same one that John found yesterday i would think.

redshank, common sandpiper, green sandpiper, little egrets, herons, little grebes

Sorry working on 6th and doing a charlty parachute jump on 24th, let me know of other dates as really want to help

Notes for today Red Kite over 2 pm am 3 Green Sand 2 Common 3 L Egret 5 LRP Peregrine and 1 Ring Plover same one that John found yesterday i would think.

Looked for the Ringed Plover and couldn't locate probably as 3 teenagers were wandering around the workings having crossed the bike pool. I waited for them to exit but they saw me and headed off in the opposite direction. Didn't want to play Cat and Mouse so left.

Last edited:
BIRDFAIR 2013

I intend to drive to the Birdfair in Rutland on 16 Aug 13. Currently Rich H and Matt P are coming along. There is therefore one and possibly two seets available. Leaving early bells in order to arrive by 0900hrs. Meeting members of the Army Ornithological Society at Rutland so be prepared for witt, sarcasm, comments on long hair and extreme birding stories. Pull up a sandbag.

On leave until 14 Aug attempting to bag Kruper's Nuthatch. Try to keep the rarity levels down at Tice's although given past history you'll see a bit whilst I am away. Enjoy.

Last edited:
A couple of hours this evening produced 2 Dunlin, Green and Common Sandpipers probably 6 of each, five Little Grebes including the nesting pair, 10 Grey Herons the most I've seen there and just a single Little Egret tonight. Also Bullfinch and two juvenile Green Woodpeckers through the woods. The Egyptian Geese are down to two young now, I'm sure they had three yesterday evening so one must have met an untimely end.

Jon

Good to see so many Birders on the mound today i missed Spotted Redshank that Dave found at 6 30am . 3 Peregrine, 2 mobbing Buzzard, Kestral, Sparrow Hawk, Red Kite, Dunlin, 5 Green and 3 Common Sandpiper, 3 LRP 5 Crossbill over Egp Geese with only 2 gosling now and 1 Yellow Leg Gull plus all the usuals
Rich.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back