• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worm's Head, Rhossili (1 Viewer)

WelshFalcon

Worm’s Head

This is a steep-sided rocky peninsula extending out from the southwest of the Gower, and accessed from the small village of Rhossili, where there is a large car park. It is connected to the mainland by a rocky causeway, which can be crossed on foot at low tide. However, be careful that you don’t become one of those regularly trapped on the wrong side when the tide rises - it is only traversable for a total of about 5 hours at low tide! Peregrines nest on the peninsula, and can be seen harrying the resident Meadow Pipits and Skylarks. Choughs have recently re-colonised for the first time in many years, but are still very few in number, maintaining a precarious foothold here. Other breeding birds include small numbers of most species which can be seen in much greater numbers further west on the islands of the coast of Pembrokeshire - Fulmar, Shag, Kittiwake, Razorbill and Guillemot. There are usually a few Eider and Common Scoter out in the bay, but their numbers swell greatly in the winter, when Velvet Scoter, Great Northern and Red-throated Divers may join them. The rocky causeway to the Head is one of the best places in Glamorgan for wintering Purple Sandpipers and resident Rock Pipits, while Black Redstarts have also wintered in the area. Finally, as a westerly facing point, the area has good sea watching potential, although there is very little shelter from the desirable strong westerly wind. Nevertheless, Gannets are regularly seen offshore, and birds such as skuas, Sabine’s Gulls, Manx Shearwaters, Storm and Leach’s Petrels must be possible.

Originally posted by Steve..I've taken the liberty of splitting his site reports into the correct counties for ease of reference for people visiting the forum

I have found the rocks at the the base of the cliffs on Rhossili beach to be the best place in the area for Purple Sandpipers, far better than the causeway to Worm`s Head. Make sure you visit visit on a low low-tide!

The stone walled fields (with pigs) on the head, were full of LBJs this weekend. Pipits, redpoll, and finches, all being watched over by a very pale, almost white, buzzard. Rossilli bay fields yeilded many stonechat and skylark. The beach had swallows riding the updraft and hovering on the "dune" edges. Buzzard being plagued by merlin, amongst the many paragliders. Blue skys and lovely song.

Gower and birding

Hi there,

I was at Rhossili and Gower for a week at the beginning of May. If you have a look in my gallery I have posted some photo's of Worms Head.

Great place for walking, birding and fresh air!!!

Thanks

Dean

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back