• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2014 - Can I see 1000 species? (1 Viewer)

2014 - Can I see 1000 species?

I do hope so, Jon. What targets have you got for Spain?

Hola John, sorry I didn't answer your earlier post re Cairns. Our round the world trip is with 4 of us - I'm the only birder, so I'll sneak off when I can! So we've booked a place which sounds great (only 4 nights) and I'll make the most of it!

Spain - everything I can see! Thinking 250 in the UK and at least an extra 100 in Spain (not necessarily at the end of this month), I'll have to go back (what a drag) in May-ish to see all the summer arrivals, which I won't see in the UK. This will leave 650 to try to find elsewhere - so I'll probably have to go somewhere else later in the year - I have an offer already - which I won't reveal yet, but it would net a lot of lifers! - not available in UK/Spain.
There's also another life ambition which is just about on the cards later this year, could include lots of birds if well planned.;)

I netted 328 in Costa Rica in three weeks mid winter (most days without a guide). A trip to either of Colombia, Ecuador, or Peru would probably net more in the same time. A three week period in any of the tropical areas of Asia should net something similar, and a bit of travel in Africa should net you even more. The question really becomes, if you go all out, can you see 2000 in a year?

Niels

I netted 328 in Costa Rica in three weeks mid winter (most days without a guide). A trip to either of Colombia, Ecuador, or Peru would probably net more in the same time.
Niels

indeed Niels, 3 weeks here could yield up to 700 species!!.... so just let me know when you want to come to Colombia Jon!! ;-)

I netted 328 in Costa Rica in three weeks mid winter (most days without a guide). A trip to either of Colombia, Ecuador, or Peru would probably net more in the same time. A three week period in any of the tropical areas of Asia should net something similar, and a bit of travel in Africa should net you even more. The question really becomes, if you go all out, can you see 2000 in a year?

Niels

YErsss, 2000 don't tempt me Niels!! I went on a guided tour of Costa Rica - we saw 480 in less than 2 weeks - I'd love to go back and clean up on those I missed;)

Yesterday a bit of a washout, so today in better weather walked from Ashford (Barnstaple not Kent!) back to Braunton along the Tarka Trail where I saw more Bullfinches than either Green, Gold, or Chaffinches. Song Thrushes singing was a bonus, must be spring!
99) Bar-tailed Godwit
100) hooray only 900 to go, Greenshank
101) Dipper
And later in the day at Baggy Point:
102) Linnet
103) Common Scoter

January 10th
I did some survey work inside the Royal Marine Base at Chivenor late morning - they've been keeping records of birds seen for donkey's years apparently, and all bases in the UK do the same - power to them I say! We mostly survey the ex-airfield which in the spring was a haven for Skylarks, but sadly none yesterday. Managed a look south across the estuary and picked up the 6 roosting Spoonbills at Isley Marsh RSPB. In the middle of the estuary was a huge (5000?) flock of Golden Plover, kept flying off, but no sign of a bird of prey. SO:
104) Spoonbill
And today I spent the morning in the Devon Birds reserve at Velator ringing - it's another way to see birds!!! Didn't catch anything new for the list, but great views of Water Rail, and:
105) Cetti's Warbler - so cross that off the heard only list, as I can with:
106) Wren - about time too!
This evening I went out again to Braunton Great Field, where right on cue at dusk a pair of Little Owls came out onto a barn, called and then mated!
107) Little Owl
I waited until almost dark but no sign of Barn Owl - except one screeching, so with the Tawny calling in the reserve this morning that's 3 species heard today.

Walked across Croyde beach in half a gale and threatening squalls. The Gull roost composed mostly Herring and Common Gulls with a few Black-headed thrown in. Also:
109) Mediterranean Gull

While ringing in the local reserve, I was once again alerted to 'something up in the trees', by a host of Chaffinches and Blackbirds mobbing with some purpose. Careful scrutiny revealed not one, but a pair of:
110) Tawny Owl
Not too much more locally (maybe 10 or 20) so looking forward to next week's long weekend in Spain. Aiming at 200+ by the end of the month.

1,000 is hardly 'modest' Jon... I foolishly told my mates I'd do that this year too... and I get staff flights! I'll take you on if you like? :) I've not quite hit 100 yet.

Good luck in Spain Jon, where abouts are you going?

Hi Larry, we have a house in Jimena de la Frontera, deep in Andalucía. Lots of great bars and restaurants, and a great centre to get to lots of the good birdy locations. Tarifa, La Janda, Montejaque, etc all within a couple of hours drive. I hope to return in the spring to see all the singing migrants! Also we'll drive from Malaga via Fuente de Piedra and some other useful sights on the way south next Thursday.;)

Last edited:
1,000 is hardly 'modest' Jon... I foolishly told my mates I'd do that this year too... and I get staff flights! I'll take you on if you like? :) I've not quite hit 100 yet.

Well, knowing how some people can go for it I set something difficult but not impossible. And preferably without a guided tour - which could easily net 300/400 so, meet a few people around the world, to help, and see what I can here and in Spain. As for a competition, well I'll keep going as planned but you'll put the pressure on, which I probably need! Is it first to 1000?

Yesterday (16th Jan) as I went to my reserve a large Thrush flew in so:
111) Mistle Thrush: this is a first record for the reserve too! Good omen?
This afternoon went to Barnstaple and found a few more:
112) Goosander - 2 pairs
113) Goldeneye - a lone female
114) Lesser Black-backed Gull
115) Kingfisher - good sighting as it was perched on a post I put up in another reserve I warden!

Last edited:
Only bird of note this weekend was one I took out of a mist net in my garden this morning. Exactly what I was hoping for, an age 5 female:
116) Blackcap

Despite a good search at Ham Wall and Shapwick, only one new bird added:
117) Great White Egret
Couldn't find anything to add at Chew or Blagdon.
Tomorrow; SPAIN

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back