• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Mystery grey shrike on the isle of Man" (2 Viewers)

It's about 20 miles from the ferry terminal to the bird, but if any of the BF-ers want to come and see it I would happily pick them up and take them there (just PM me).
There's no exchange rate, sterling is an acceptable currency - as is the Manx Pound in the UK (although we have problems convincing retailers of the fact!).

This thread has been most interesting , for once CJW is on the back foot and instead of stirring the waters hes been on the receiving end!!!

Michael,

I'm surprised you'd want to go to the Great Grey area (geddit) as you previously proclaimed very confidently that the bird was definitely excubitor anyway. Have you now got an updated copy of your Big Book of Birds for Boys?

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!!

In any case would you really want to run the risk of going and having to listen to CJD (sorry, CJW) trying to rule the roost and pontificating from a position of ignorance. Shame the news got out that he wasn't the finder - he didn't seem keen to enlighten anyone about this fact.....

MV

I don't want to spoil the fun but try and keep personal insults and attacks out of a public forum!:storm: they don't add anything to a disscussion and make the people involved look immature and not worth listening to in the future.

Malvolio, having read this thread I don't recall CJW ever claiming to have found the bird! he simply asked for oppinions. If you've had a lovers tiff keep it off the forum!8-P

As for the shrike (which is what we should be disscussing) I have no idea which it is, there seems to be quite a varied thought on what to use to identify the seperate species. Still its a nice looking bird, that I would like to have seen, shame its not in Britain.

Thanks Ashley, saved me a job!
The bird is still present and showing well for the ½doz or so birders who came to see it. They have all gone away happy with the i.d. and, more importantly, having been privileged enough to see such a beautiful and obliging bird.

Hi CJW

Even if you weren't the original finder, congrats on cracking the ID of this excellent (and educational) bird...

As many have already discovered, the literature is a bit thin on black-billed forms of steppe grey. I, for one, would be interested to hear the views of the two eminent birders who pronounced on the specific ID of your bird. Cutting edge or what!

Regards

Rob

Now to really put the cat amongst the pigeons (or should that be shrikes)...

Has anyone thought about the North African races - it fits very nicely as an 'interbreed' of that geographical area. Various literature (BWP, Shrikes & Bush Shrikes, Birding World 8/8) all state that several North African races can be as pale (even paler) than pallidirostris and also have black bill, black lores and a shorter primary projection.

Several of the visiting birders also liked this theory apart from one gent who was obviously desperate to tick off 'Steppe' in his list of possible future splits!!!

:cat:

All,

We await a reply regarding who the so-called eminent birders are who have identified this as pallidirostris and what their reasoning is.

In a nutshell, where's the evidence?

MV

I could think of more polite ways of putting it MV!

In essence the problem is a complete lack of literature on black-billed Steppe. There is literature however on North African races showing features that fit this bird.

CJW has done a lot of research on this (as have myself and another local birder) so don't dismiss his work so easily.

The danger is that just because there is no literature that states steppe commonly shows black bill and lores doesn't mean that its not possible...

I have seen the emails from the 'eminent' birders (I, personally, would use another word to describe one of them ;) ) but they confidently state that adult male pallidirostris have black bills (yet don't cite their references).

The next thorn in this theory is that the bird shows different amount of wear in its wing (primary wear is uneven and noticeably worn compared to the relatively fresh looking greater coverts) this is maybe indicitaive of a first summer bird??? The bird is a male though as it sings regularly (unless females of this species can sing.....?????). Given this, and the theory that it is a pallidirostris you would expect the bird to still have some pale areas on the bill given that first winter birds have very pale bills...

This is still not clean cut in my mind and anyone confidently stating a race to this bird is only kidding themselves at the moment...

Ok, Thanks for that Manxman,

As far as I'm aware the only race of '.....Grey Shrike' which is colloquially known as 'Steppe' Grey is pallidirostris, i.e. if it's not pallidirostris it's not a Steppe Grey.

Have you been in touch with anyone who has actually seen pallidirostris on the breeding grounds? if so what do they say about the bill etc...?

I'd agree that the relatively worn/ faded primaries would seem to suggest a 1st-s, and if some pallidirostris can show black bills I'd guess it would be mostly males that did so so you might be looking at a 1st-s male. What we need to know is what proportion, if any, pallidirostris do show black bills and if so at what age does this develop.

I agree with your last sentence entirely, I've been confused by wintering/ resident grey shrikes in the gulf area for years....none of these seem to conform to stereotypes in the literature.

MV

It certainly is exciting watching this discussion. Whatever it turns out to be it would be alifer for, even a simple Grey Shrike. I await the final outcome with tense anticipation.

I've also been fascinated to follow this, and a question I would like to raise is, is it actually going to be possible to get a 100% ID here. These sub species (or whatever anyone likes to classify them as) are (to me at least) almost identical and bearing in mind that variations between individual of the same species are quite common, who is to say that it is a Steppe Strike or an aberrant GG Shrike or an aberrant Steppe Shrike or a strait forward GGS.

One more question, regardless of parentage, isn’t this an unusual bird to show up in the British Isles at this time of the year?

I doubt a 100% ID is going to be likely. Suffice to say we are cofident of it being a Southern Grey Shrike but as to it's race, well that's open for discussion at the moment.
Malvolio, I'm happy to name the two 'eminent' birders in a PM if you really want to know their names - not that it will change anything. As Manxman has indicated we have Email information which could indicate one of several races - including pallidirostris. I can't vouch for their accuracy, but some of it is from people who have been involved in ringing pallidirostris in Kazhakstan.

Malvolio said:
Ok, Thanks for that Manxman,

I'd agree that the relatively worn/ faded primaries would seem to suggest a 1st-s, and if some pallidirostris can show black bills I'd guess it would be mostly males that did so so you might be looking at a 1st-s male. What we need to know is what proportion, if any, pallidirostris do show black bills and if so at what age does this develop.

MV

What do you think we've been trying to do since this bird was found???!!!....

We've so far got emails from 1 person who has seen pallidirostris on breeding grounds and said that males could show black bill and lores. I've also sopken two people who have seen birds in North Africa and they too have commented on the similarity of this bird to the ones there.

Taking this into consideration and the fact that this bird is also structurally different from pallidirostris (much shorter primary projection & 'stubby' looking bill) the theory for North African origin has arisen.

To confidently claim any particular race with this bird however is going to almost impossible.

What we don't need however is twitchers desperate for a tick talking themselves into making the bird a 'Steppe' (on the grounds that it may be future split - altough I really doubt that is going to happen in the short-term given the confused status). I heard one twitcher yesterday say the bird had a brown bill and pale lores!!!!!!!! Have you seen the latest photos on www.birdguides.com? You try and tell me it has a brown bill... If one of those prats decides to submit a description to BBRC which contradicts the descriptions we have been painstakingly taking over more than 75hours combined viewing then it could spoil the whole party...

Not sure what any Twitcher would gain from the splitting of Steppe Grey Shrike (presumably you mean from the other southern forms) as as far as I' m aware the only form to have been recorded in Britain is Pallidirostris. Just for the record a friend of mine recently returned from Kazhakstan. On his return he commented about the presumed Steppe Shrikes that he had seen with all dark bills. Many of these were paired to birds with pale bills!!

Mark

Thanks very much for that Mark, personally I'm still leaning towards pallidirostris, although Manxman's comments about the north African races have set doubt in my mind - especially as the bird appears quite short winged. You're the third person to pass on comments about some Kazhakstani birds having black bills, I just wish it had been 'written up' somewhere rather than having to rely on word of mouth (which doesn't help with our BBRC submission). Can you PM me with the name of your mate - he might be one of the people I've already been in touch with.
Here's another shot of the bird I took yesterday morning before the twitchers started to arrive (bless 'em!).

Attachments

• shrike 21_06_03.jpg
    shrike 21_06_03.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 269
Manxman said:
I heard one twitcher yesterday say the bird had a brown bill and pale lores!!!!!!!! . . . If one of those prats decides to submit a description to BBRC which contradicts the descriptions we have been painstakingly taking over more than 75hours combined viewing then it could spoil the whole party...

Hi Manxman,

I think the BBRC are collectively just as familiar with prats as with pratincoles, and won't let such stuff affect their work :))

Michael

(but I suppose the BBRC won't be dealing with it anyway, it'll be the IoMRC)

Last edited:
I thought I'd reply on behalf of Manxman, Michael. (poor bugger has had to go into work today!). It's just another twist in the Manx/British List saga! We do have an IOM rarities committee which is pretty much like a county records committee. But any birds that are classed as description birds by BBRC are submitted to them aswell.
As for the brown bill thing, well that's just complete bo*****s as can be seen in all the photos, but the bird definitely has a slightly paler patch on the lores (most obvious on the right hand side of the bird, although it is still visible on the left. See my photo above).

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back