• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gillian M's Year/Photo List (1 Viewer)

Lots of lifers but few photos...

Seen August 6, 2007:

157. Redhead
158. Ruddy Duck
159. Semipalmated Plover

Seen August 11, 2007:

160. Nashville Warbler

Seen August 12, 2007:

161. Long-tailed Jaeger

Ironically, the only photo I have is the only one that's not a lifer! The other 4 birds were seen at a distance on a large quarry pond (August 6 birds) or on the Ottawa River (Jaeger) using someone's scope.

A note about the Jaeger - this is the rarest bird I've seen to date. It appeared in Ottawa over the weekend, the first sighting in 20 years! The story can be found here: http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen...=52320f35-2895-4f6c-9d2a-9b3b97f34117&k=28960

Attachments

• Nashville Warbler.jpg
    Nashville Warbler.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 100
Seen August 25, 2007:

162. Gray Jay
163. Blackburnian Warbler

We spent the weekend at Algonquin Park. I saw lots of warblers, but the only Algonquin "specialty" seen was the Gray Jay. I don't think it helped that it rained all day Saturday either!

Attachments

• Gray jay.jpg
    Gray jay.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Blackburnian Warbler.jpg
    Blackburnian Warbler.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 97
Seen August 28, 2007:

164. Bay-breasted Warbler
165. Great Egret

Seems like all my recent additions are lifers now! :t:

Attachments

• Great Egret.jpg
    Great Egret.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Bay-breasted warbler.jpg
    Bay-breasted warbler.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 87
Seen August 30, 2007:

166. Wilson's Warbler

No photo of this one, unfortunately. Although I caught a glimpse of it twice, and got a decent view the second time, my camera batteries were all dead when I went out this morning!

Seen September 1, 2007:

167. Ruddy Turnstone
168. Red Knot
169. Cape May Warbler
170. Philadelphia Vireo

Thankfully one of Ottawa's premiere birders was on hand to identify the shorebirds seen this morning at Ottawa Beach!

Three more lifers today brings my life list up to 177. I'd like to get up to 200 by the end of the year, but it will take a lot of luck!

Attachments

• Turnstone.jpg
    Turnstone.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Red Knot.jpg
    Red Knot.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Cape May Warbler.jpg
    Cape May Warbler.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Philadelphia Vireo.jpg
    Philadelphia Vireo.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 89
Seen September 3, 2007:

171. Baird's Sandpiper
172. Blackpoll Warbler

Attachments

• Baird's Sandpiper.jpg
    Baird's Sandpiper.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 77
  • Blackpoll Warbler.jpg
    Blackpoll Warbler.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 92
Seen September 15, 2007:

173. American Golden-Plover
174. Pectoral Sandpiper
175. Stilt Sandpiper

Seen September 16, 2007:

176. Swainson's Thrush

I would like some better photos of all of these birds. The lighting was very bad when I saw the Golden-Plover and Pectoral Sandpiper; the Stilt Sandpiper was very far away in the middle of a former sewage lagoon; and the Swainson's Thrush was very high up in a tree!

Attachments

• Golden-Plover.jpg
    Golden-Plover.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Pectoral Sandpiper.jpg
    Pectoral Sandpiper.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Stilt Sandpiper.jpg
    Stilt Sandpiper.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 88
  • Swainson's.jpg
    Swainson's.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 88
Seen September 21, 2007:

177. Blue-headed Vireo

(Too bad the branch is in the way - you can't see his "spectacles" at all!!!)

Edited September 22, 2007: I saw another one today and got a nice shot of it out in the open, so I'm attaching a better picture! I think this bird has to be my favourite vireo so far!

Attachments

• Blueheaded Vireo.jpg
    Blueheaded Vireo.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Blue-headed Vireo.jpg
    Blue-headed Vireo.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Seen September 22, 2007:

178. Tennessee Warbler

Seen with a mixed flock of birds including Palm and Yellow-rumped Warblers, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Winter Wren and Chickadees!

Attachments

• Tennesse Warbler.jpg
    Tennesse Warbler.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 92
Seen October 5, 2007:

180. Orange-crowned Warbler

Seen October 7, 2007:

181. Trumpeter Swan

(Okay, so the Trumpeter Swan may not be technically countable here in Ontario. It's still a new species for me, and there were both adults and juveniles present - evidence of breeding in the wild which is satisfactory for my personal purposes.)

Attachments

• orange-crowned warbler.jpg
    orange-crowned warbler.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Trumpeters.jpg
    Trumpeters.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 92
Seen October 8, 2007:

182. American Pipit
183. Greater Scaup
184. Black Scoter
185. Snow Goose (blue morph)
186. Lesser Black-backed Gull

No photos of the Snow Goose or the Gull, as both were seen at a considerable distance through a spotting scope. Also, it was getting dark so I didn't think it worth walking over and trying to get photos.

Attachments

• Pipit.jpg
    Pipit.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Greater Scaup.jpg
    Greater Scaup.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Black Scoter.jpg
    Black Scoter.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 87
Seen October 14 ,2007:

187. Sandhill Crane

Technically I have seen sandhill cranes before when I lived out west (in a rural area east of Edmonton, AB). I vaguely recall my mother pointing out flocks of hundreds or thousands of these birds flying south in the fall (very noisily, I might add) but since I wasn't interested in birding back then I'm not counting those sightings. Besides, I only saw them flying quite high overhead, not standing in a field relatively close to the road!

Attachments

• Farmland 459 (2).jpg
    Farmland 459 (2).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 88
Seen October 21, 2007:

188. White-winged Scoters
189. Cackling Goose

I was so fortunate that (a) the cackling goose was on the lawn with a flock of Canadas (instead of being out in the water) and (b) two of the Canadas started chasing him, which is what caused my birding buddy to look at them and say "Hey, that bird looks smaller than the others!" I'm posting two photos, one of the cackling goose with the Canada geese to show the size differences and one of the cackling goose by itself.

Attachments

• WW Scoters.jpg
    WW Scoters.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Cackling Goose 1.jpg
    Cackling Goose 1.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Cackling Goose 2.jpg
    Cackling Goose 2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 87
Seen October 25, 2007:

190. Fox Sparrow
191. Bohemian Waxwing

Two more lifers today...I'm getting ever closer to the 200 mark! I wish I'd gotten better photos of the Fox Sparrow, but it didn't seem to want to perch out in the open.

Attachments

• Fox Sparrow.jpg
    Fox Sparrow.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 90
  • B. Waxwing.jpg
    B. Waxwing.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 87
Seen November 11, 2007:

192. Common Redpoll

My first winter finch in what is shaping up to be an amazing irruption year. We found a small flock on a weedy roadside in the country yesterday, and although I got some photos, they were from a fair distance. So last night I put my mind to it and tried to figure out where the closest, largest, weediest field was that I could get to by bus from downtown on my lunch hour. One location sprang to mind, obvious now in retrospect, and sure enough I found a flock there today at lunch and got some better photos!

Attachments

• Common Redpoll.jpg
    Common Redpoll.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 149
A trip to the Kingston/Amherst Island area today produced three lifers and one additional bird for my year list today!

Seen November 18, 2007:

193. Eurasian Wigeon
194. Red-bellied Woodpecker
195. Long-eared Owl
196. Short-eared Owl

(I note there is also an American Wigeon in the photo of the Eurasian Wigeon).

Attachments

• Eurasian Wigeon.jpg
    Eurasian Wigeon.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 150
  • RB Woodpecker.jpg
    RB Woodpecker.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 140
  • LE Owl.jpg
    LE Owl.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 138
  • SE Owl.jpg
    SE Owl.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 156
Seen December 1, 2007:

197. Pine Grosbeak

This is a bird I've been waiting a while to see! The last few times I went to look for it in places it had been reported it wasn't there. Finally today I found a flock of them...right in my own neighbourhood!

Attachments

• Pine Grosbeak.jpg
    Pine Grosbeak.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Grosbeak 2.jpg
    Grosbeak 2.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 150
Seen December 22, 2007:

198. Harlequin Duck

For the last week a Harlequin Duck has been seen at a spot on the rapids of the Ottawa River, so today I made the trek over to the Quebec side and located her. A male would have been nicer, but I won't complain.

I also saw a long-tailed duck at the same spot, which was a nice surprise; it's the first one I've seen in Ottawa.

So, only nine more days left in the year. Chances of adding to my year list now are slim, but there are a few possibilities.

Attachments

• Female Harlequin.jpg
    Female Harlequin.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 135
Seen December 26, 2007:

199. Barred Owl

I finally saw one today, and it took a lot of luck to find it! Someone had seen it perched on a tree right at the side of the road yesterday, but today it was in the woods beyond the road (private property, unfortunately). A couple of crows cawing at something in a tree alerted me to the fact that it was likely still around. I don't know how I managed to point my binoculars at exactly the right spot, but I did!

Attachments

• Barred Owl.jpg
    Barred Owl.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 134

Users who are viewing this thread

Back