• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdforum Digiscoping - Bird Photography Weekend (1 Viewer)

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
We have a Birdforum digiscoping weekend on the 29th of March to 1st of April alongside Rutland Water at the Whitwell Hotel & Conference Centre.

The course will run from the evening of Friday, 30th March to the afternoon of Sunday, 1st April 2007, with accommodation and meals included in the package.

We only have a limited amount of places on this weekend remaining.

There will be a limited number of day places available, but these places go nearly as quickly as the weekend package.

Paul Hackett and myself will be there for the digiscoping side of things, but Nigel Blake will also be covering aspects of traditional bird photography.

We will be announcing more details in the next week or so.
So, watch this space for more news.

cheers,
Andy

I can announce the price for day places on this course, which will include lunch as well as refreshments throughout the day. £45 per person. Please contact [email protected] to book a day, but best not to hang around as these go quite quickly.

regards,
Birdforum

Ben O said:
What time do the courses start? I was thinking of coming up for the day

Thanks,
Ben

I think it start at 0900 Ben but i am sure Andy will be along to confirm it :hi:

Over the two days, we have a full itineray including what gear to use where to get it, and how to use it, and we hope to be able to take live digiscoped pictures of birds from the lecture hall in my sessions, Nigel and i will be setting up a bird feeding station a couple of weeks before the event to cater for DSLR and digiscopers, the digiscoping will be aimed at beginners and intermediate level, but all are welcome and its a a chance to see all the latest kit i seem to keep buying under one roof and believe me thats a lot, and to discuss at length any difficulties you may be experiencing with your kit

There will also be sessions on the software side what to use/ buy, printers, printing, web pictures and much more, and we will have a digital projector so the whole room can see how to do the basics, we encourage you to bring your laptops so we can help you on a one to one where possible or follow the software sessions

For the residents you will get Andy, Nigel and myself not just for the sessions, but we normally eat breathe,and talk DSLR/ digscoping into the wee small hours! so definitely value for money here

There will be a field trips out to Rutland Water and this is where the learning kicks in for most people. We will download your pictures on return to the classroom and where possible and time permitting, print your pictures and offer constructive advice.

So really, you are getting an A - Z of digiscoping in one weekend. People reading this who came on the previous weekends will know how much you gained from this

This is a great oppurtunity to put everything into practice with like minded people. So if you are thinking about coming along, email BF at [email protected] , places are starting to go fast as there is only so many we can get in the room.

Regards

Paul

Last edited:
Yep, 9am start for the day's events... although probably best to get there at least 10 minutes before, the weekend package people will probably have finished their breakfasts by then ;)

cheers,
Andy

Not had much of a chance to add to this during the week, its been a tad busy....

I will be covering the subjects of processing RAW files, using various programs such as Breezebrowser, RAWshooter and Bibble Pro, also many other aspects of image processing.

On the practical side I will also be demonstrating how to get the best images from a feeding station set-up, and how to get birds to come to you (rather than you getting close to them) as it enables you to get more relaxed behavioural images of them.

As there are often questions on the forums regarding camera settings I will cover this subject in depth, touching on metering options, white balance, shutter/aperture selection and depth of field, choice of focusing points in relation to DOF as well as use of hyperfocal point focusing.

I also would like to do a critique session where visitors images will be constructively assessed with regard to compositional and colour balance matters etc, hopefully this will help people to get the best out of their photographic encounters with birds and other subjects.

Hopefully the weather will be kind so we can put some of all this into practice!

All those that have applied for this course will be notified this weekend. Suffice to say we are nearly full on both days.

Thanks
Steve

Hi everyone, i would love to come to this weekend to learn more but i don't have a camera for the job at the moment. Would I be able to come and test out some cameras to help me decide what to get for digiscoping.

I do have a scope and tripod, so I am more than halfway there ;)

Best regards,
Ian

birdseye77 said:
Hi everyone, i would love to come to this weekend to learn more but i don't have a camera for the job at the moment. Would I be able to come and test out some cameras to help me decide what to get for digiscoping.

I do have a scope and tripod, so I am more than halfway there ;)

Best regards,
Ian
Hi Ian,
Yes, there will be numerous cameras in operation over the weekend, along with the advice to go with them...although I'm not sure on all the exact models that will be present.

cheers,
Andy

Andy Bright said:
Hi Ian,
Yes, there will be numerous cameras in operation over the weekend, along with the advice to go with them...although I'm not sure on all the exact models that will be present.

cheers,
Andy

Digiscoping wise there will be the Coolpix 990, 995, 4500, Sony N1, Samsung NV3, and Fuji F30 as some of the digiscoping cameras to either try out or take pictures or even just to understand the best settings!

I am sure Nigel and Andy wil be along to tell you which DSLR cameras and lenses will be on show

Idea of cost

Could you give an idea of cost for single room for the course please?
Andy Bright said:
We have a Birdforum digiscoping weekend on the 29th of March to 1st of April alongside Rutland Water at the Whitwell Hotel & Conference Centre.

The course will run from the evening of Friday, 30th March to the afternoon of Sunday, 1st April 2007, with accommodation and meals included in the package.

We only have a limited amount of places on this weekend remaining.

There will be a limited number of day places available, but these places go nearly as quickly as the weekend package.

Paul Hackett and myself will be there for the digiscoping side of things, but Nigel Blake will also be covering aspects of traditional bird photography.

We will be announcing more details in the next week or so.
So, watch this space for more news.

cheers,
Andy

I can only make the Saturday but really looking forward to cramming in as much as the little grey cells will be able to take in a day. :brains:

Di

Yesterday Paul Hackett and I went to the venue for a recce and to set up some feeders in readiness for the BF photography and digiscoping weekend, and it was only minutes before we got some fine visitors posing for pix, with two weeks to go I think we should be in for a productive time.........

We also checked out a Red Kite site near the venue too and were treated to close overhead views of up to 7 birds, in all a good day out!

Nigel

Attachments

• _E2D3613.jpg
    _E2D3613.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 139
  • _MG_1035.jpg
    _MG_1035.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 191
  • _MG_1056.jpg
    _MG_1056.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 163
  • _E2D3635.jpg
    _E2D3635.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 159
First bird to the newly erected feeders? 15 mins!

Plenty of oppurtunities within the hotel grounds, the hotel borders onto the shores of Rutland Water, so more chances for pictures there

see attached pics, should make for a good weekend

Digicam Man

Attachments

• webKicx0493.jpg
    webKicx0493.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 146
  • WebKicx0566.jpg
    WebKicx0566.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 140
  • WebKicx0616.jpg
    WebKicx0616.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 147
  • WebKicx1036.jpg
    WebKicx1036.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 169
'Digibash'

I am soon to purchase a quality scope and was hoping for a chance to learn more about the subject from someone with aquired, hands on knowledge, such as your team of 'experts'.

It is an unfortunately awkward (and cannot be cancelled) prior engagement that will mean I sadly will not be able to attend your delightful 'digibash'.

Your choice of location too would have been ideal, as the area has worn out many a good pair of my walking boots over the years.... The rapture population in the area is of 'special' interest to myself, and 'Hareden Nab' holds some particularly enchanting memorys.

I sincerely hope your Digiscoping weekend is thouroughly enjoyable and that the weather stays fine.

Bird Photography and Digiscoping weekend March 29th. Aril 1st

I would like to have a place on this course at Rutland Water.
I have a Swarovski HD 20 - 60 S telescope with camera attachment but have been unnable to find a suitable camera. I have resorted to taking bird photographs with a Nikon 100 and x400 and x600 lenses Toshiba and Sigma respectively.
Have had some good results but wonder if I would be better with a matching camera and telescope?!
Yours Jill Halpin

Course for Mrs. Jill Halpin

jill halpin said:
I would like to have a place on this course at Rutland Water.
I have a Swarovski HD 20 - 60 S telescope with camera attachment but have been unnable to find a suitable camera. I have resorted to taking bird photographs with a Nikon 100 and x400 and x600 lenses Toshiba and Sigma respectively.
Have had some good results but wonder if I would be better with a matching camera and telescope?!
Yours Jill Halpin
Please let me know if there is a place available?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back