• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Survey of your digiscoping setup (1 Viewer)

mark_s

I thought it'd be interesting to have a thread in which BF members provide a very brief and simple list of their favoured digiscoping setup. It'd be great for newcomers like me to be able to look up a concise overview of tried-and-tested scope / eyepiece / adapter / camera combinations. How about it?

Scope:
Eyepiece:
Adapter:
Camera:
Tripod head:
Tripod:
Remarks:

Scope: Swarovski ATS 80 HD
Eyepiece: Swarovski 20-60X S
Adapters: Swarovski DCA ZOOM + Canon LA-DC10
Camera: Canon PowerShot S60
Tripod Head: Manfrotto 501
Tripod: Manfrotto 756B

It all works very well and gives good results. The camera, however, is now a little dated and could do with a megapixel injection. The Canon PowerShot S80 would have been a good upgrade except that Canon, in their wisdom, removed the RAW capture option and changed the memory card type, thus ensuring that most of the purchasers of previous models in the PowerShot Sx0 series wouldn't upgrade. I have yet to find an 8Mp+ camera with the same, or better, specifications and features that I find indispensable in my current camera.

Scope:nikon 80A
Eyepiece: 20-60X zoom
Adapter: baader microstage universal
Camera: fuji e900
Tripod: generic ebay rubbish
Remarks:Generally been quite pleased with the set up. with my previous camera /i couldn't incorporate a remote release with the fit of the baader but now can. I suspect the tripod is now the weak link but considering the general quality of the optics etc I'm pleased with some of my results.

Scope: Revelation 80mm f6.2 astro scope.
Eyepiece: NA - prime focus.
Adapter: T2 and 1.25" nosepiece.
Camera: Nikon D70
Tripod head: Bilora oldie but goldie 5144.
Tripod: same
Remarks: A wee bit heavy right now, so I'm selling the scope and hoping for a Nikon. Nowt wrong otherwise :)

Robin scoped yesterday with above setup.

Attachments

• Robin_8349_filt_s.jpg
    Robin_8349_filt_s.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 603
Last edited:
Scope: Acuter 65mm
Eyepiece: 16-48x zoom and 20x fixed
Adapter: Olivon Universal Camera Adapter
Camera: Fuji F30
Tripod: Opticron 42704
Remarks: It all fits together very well but I've yet to take a really sharp photo. The scope seems pretty good so I must be doing something wrong. Getting frustrated now!

Scope: ES80GA Waterproof ( Pre 2004 when all ES80GAs were ED! )
Eyepiece: 20-60 HDF Zoom
Adapter: LCE Adapter. But usually handheld.
Camera: Canon A95
Tripod: Opticron Carbon Fibre
Remarks: It works well ( when I wear my reading glasses ). When I don't and manual focus it comes out blurred.
Pic I took this A.M. About 70 yards, handheld at 20x, about 2.5xzoom on the camera. Cropped and sharpened a bit.

Yes, you get better pics when using an adapter, but you get more pics handheld, and I'm not looking to sell my pics!.

Attachments

• tn_Img_6834c.jpg
    tn_Img_6834c.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 603
Scope: Pentax PF65 ED A

Eyepiece: Pentax XF12 (x32 mag)

Adapter: 1 cheap step-ring off e-bay plus scopetronix attachment kit plus SRB cable release

Camera: Nikon Coolpix 4200

Tripod head: Manfrotto 701RC2

Tripod: Feisol Carbon Fibre CT3401

Comments: A pretty old and somewhat limited 4MP camera but the adapter is custom made and with the threaded Pentax eyepieces it is very easy and convenient to use with almost no vignetting at zero zoom. I bought a Nikon Coolpix P4 last year and attached it to the eyepice with a foxfoto attachment but was disappointed with the results of the P4 and went back to the older camera. Scopetronix have ceased trading and no longer make the excellent attchment kits for specific cameras.

I was going to upgrade to a Pentax XW14 eyepiece/Fujifilm F31 but got a DSLR instead. Digiscoping has taken a bit of a backseat recently.

The threaded Pentax eyepices are really handy for digiscoping. You just need to buy a step-ring for a few $ to attach them to pretty much anything that is threaded. The foxfoto thingy (I forget what they actually call it) I mention above costs only about $25 and has a 37mm thread and you can use any compact digital camera.

If I were buying from scratch in this price range I'd get the newer Pentax 65mm model with an XW14 eyepiece and a Fuji F30/31 or maybe the new Nikon 5000 and the foxfoto attachment plus a step ring to connect it to the eyepiece. Throw in a carbon tripod/decent head and a cable release and you'd be talking well under $1500 all in. I'd also look seriously at the somewhat more expensive Nikon 60mm ED scopes (which also have great attachment kits but are limited to use with Nikon cameras).

I've attached a pic from earlier this year taken with the set-up mentioned at the top.

Attachments

• owashi4.jpg
    owashi4.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
Scope :Swarovski ATS80HD
Eyepiece : 20-60x zoom and 30x fixed
Adapter : DCA
Camera : Nikon CP4500
Tripod head: Manfrotto 128RC
Tripod : Manfrotto 443 Carbon One
Remarks : A pretty reliable set up when used with cable release adapter and battery pack. Camera soon to be replaced by Nikon P5000. I've mainly switched to using a DSLR+400mm lens but even using a teleconverter you can't beat digiscoping for getting you closer to the more distant birds.

Hi Mark,

Scope: Swarovski ATA80HD
Eyepiece: 30x SW Eyepiece
Adapter: Swarovski DCA
Camera: Nikon Coolpix 8400
Tripod head: Swarovski FH01 Head
Tripod: Swarovski Tripod 2
Remarks: I've been very happy with this setup. The 30x and 45x eyepieces are the only ones that can be used well with the Nikon Coolpix 8400. You can use the 20x to 60x but must zoom to full to eliminate the vingeting with this camera. I can see a new Tripod purchase at some point but the Tripod 2 has been decent.

I'll join in...

Scope: Zeiss Diascope 85 T FL
Eyepiece: Zeiss 30x B WW fixed
Adapter: Zhumell Universal Digiscoping Adapter
Camera: Nikon CoolPix 4100
Tripod Head: Manfrotto 3130 pan-and-tilt
Tripod: Manfrotto 3221
Remarks: The whole setup is heavy but stable. I love the scope but would very much like to improve on the camera. Takes very good digiscoped pictures though. I'm usually happy with the results.

Attachments

• Yellowrump.jpg
    Yellowrump.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 565
Scope: Opticron ES80 GA ED

Eyepiece:SDL 20-60 zoom

Adapter: Eagleeye with 28mm screw thread

Camera: Nikon 995 and samsung I6

Tripod head: Opticron

Tripod: Opticron

Remarks: I started off with the Opticron Kyocera SL400R setup but the screen on this camera was so small I gave up. Brought a 2nd hand nikon 995 which I like and still use as a back up but have been using the samsung I6 for almost a year now and love it. so easy to use gives good control and has a huge screen for easy focusing. Took this tawny Owl a few weeks ago at Kensington Gardens. But I still think to get any decent picture its not so much what gear you have , but more how close you can get.

Attachments

• adult3.jpg
    adult3.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 444
The best combo I use is -
Swarovski STS80HD
Swarovski 30x and 45x
Swarovski DCA
Nikon CP8400/Olympus 7070wz (both lenses ED quality -no fringing )
Benro Ballhead
Surveyors tripod (wood)

Im into cheap gear
kodack cx6230
tasco 15x45x50 scope
solid tripod
hand held
Remarks...Had the same set up for three years its worth a hundred quid[not counting the tripod] wouldnt mind an upgrade now tho

Scope :Swarovski ATS80HD
Eyepiece : 20-60x zoom
Adapter : Homemade
Camera : Sony DSC-W7
Tripod : Manfrotto 443 Carbon One

Scope: Viking V-80ED.

Eyepiece: Viking 22 X

Adapter: F-Adapter (Large) + 28mm stepping ring.

Camera: Nikon CP4500.

Tripod head: Manfrotto 501.

Tripod: Viking CF3 Carbon Fibre Tripod.

Remarks: Very pleased with this set-up very quick to set-up! Also seems to attract a lot of interest in the hide especially when I slide the centre column out of the tripod and on to a hide clamp! You always seam to get a comment like “That’s a good idea I wish I could do that!” There don’t seem to be many hide clamp users on Dorset.

A nice thread Mark :t:

Scope: Swarovski AT80HD
Eyepiece: 20-60x zoom (old locking style), 20xSW
Adapter: SRB Griturn swing-away
Camera: Panasonic FX01
Tripod head: Manfrotto 501
Tripod: Manfrotto 055 (don't remember the letters...)
Remarks: Very close to perfect for me. Quite heavy though.

If I could cherry-pick my favourite features, my dream setup would have:
- colour correction and bokeh of the cherry-Leica APO Televid
- colour balance and contrast of the Nikon 82ED
- body design of the Swaro ATS80
- Eyepieces:
* Zoom: field-of-view and center resolution of the Zeiss Vario 20-60x but eye-relief and edge resolution of the Swaro 20-60xS.
* 20/21x and 30/32x eyepieces from Swaro or Leica (with Leica's ER)
- Adapter: SRB Griturn
- Camera: Nikon P5000, Fuji F30 or Canon Ixus 850IS
- Tripod head: Gitzo 2380, but the M 501 does the job too.
- Tripod: Berlebach 3042

Attachments

• Goldeneye07.jpg
    Goldeneye07.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Scope : Swaro ATS 65HD
Eyepiece : 20/60 Zoom
Adapter : DCA
Camera : Casio Elixim EX-P700
Tripod Head : 701 RC2
Tripod : 191V
Remarks
DCA female permanently attached to scope, DCA male permanently attached to camera. DCA to camera attachment via 52/49 stepdown ring, 2 49mm filter 'blanks and 49/49 female to female ring adapter to the 49mm camera body thread.

Usual settings - camera focus on infinity, fine focus through scope. Scope zoom = 20x, camera zoom on 66-132mm equivalent

Scope: Leica APO 62
Eyepiece: 16-48 zoom and 26x
Adapter: Eagle eye
Camera: Coolpix 4500
Tripod: Velbon 530
Remarks: I've had great results using this set up, within the usual limitations of good light with little wind and, of course, birds on their best behaviour!
I'll probably get a new camera soon - possibly Nikon P5000 (I'm watching all the related threads with interest).
Most of my digiscoping at the moment tends to be done on holiday where the light is brighter. If I start doing more locally I'd consider getting a bigger scope.

Cheers
Nick

Scope: Kowa TS 612
Eyepiece: Opticron 20-60x zoom (maybe about 18-54x on my scope)
Adapter: Opticron DCC
Camera: Coolpix 4500
Tripod head: Velbon PH-157Q
Tripod: Velbon Delta
Remarks Don't get me wrong I love my little scope (with the Opticron eyepiece anyway, the Kowa one is ****) but what I wouldn't give for ED glass.

Attachments

• Goldfinch09.jpg
    Goldfinch09.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back