Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Lesbos 2012

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 21st October 2011, 15:13   #26
PYRTLE

Have yesterday seen a deal for next spring, Anaxos, substantially discounted. OK its a basic self catering apartment with no frills, but at around the 265 mark (who knows what it will be in March?) got to be worth it as a base for a week's birding. Also, why the huge reduction now rather than a week before the holiday....twas on the Thomas Cook site, so should be properly safeguarded.

Last edited by PYRTLE : Friday 21st October 2011 at 15:16.
Old Sunday 23rd October 2011, 13:03   #27
Mick Sway
BF Supporter 2018

Thomas Cook 265?

Hi
Couldn't find this deal this am.
Any chance of sending a link?
Thanks
Mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post
Have yesterday seen a deal for next spring, Anaxos, substantially discounted. OK its a basic self catering apartment with no frills, but at around the 265 mark (who knows what it will be in March?) got to be worth it as a base for a week's birding. Also, why the huge reduction now rather than a week before the holiday....twas on the Thomas Cook site, so should be properly safeguarded.
Flickr Album - 10 years/130 images of species recorded on Lesvos.[/font]

BF Supporter 2012 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 23rd October 2011, 16:43   #28
PYRTLE

Haris Studio / Apartments May 2012

Hello Mick,

They must have been watching me as the price for the week from 5th May has gone up since I posted! I jotted it down as 530 for two us. However, the 12th is down as 286 pp whilst the 5th is now up to 326. Just this minute checked. Perhaps someone got in real quick. Its not the best of locations if you are going with a non birder, hence its 2 circle award, but perfect for keen birders, set in a quiet scrubby residential area with lots of overgrown shrubs, bushes and untouched habitat, not too far from the river, from what I recall. At worst, it would be a good base at that price for some. Cheers, P

Last edited by PYRTLE : Monday 24th October 2011 at 06:24. Reason: Typo
Old Thursday 10th November 2011, 17:09   #29
Steve Dudley
aka The Toadsnatcher

Local island prices for 2012

Increasingly folk are asking me about the financial problems in Greece and how they might impact on us in Lesvos next spring.

I've been discussing this with quite a few folk on Lesvos over the last months. All my friends in the hotels, tavernas and other tourist related areas are rightly worried, but, they are very keen to keep the message positive to visitors - Lesvos is open next spring and prices that the locals control will not be that different to 2011.

Tsalis Car Hire have already told me that they are keeping their rates unchanged from this year for 2012, and don't forget you get 15% off when you mention Lesvos Birding! (prices on the Lesvos Birding website).

Hotels have already set their prices and most are the same as 2011 (as can be seen with the Thomas Cook package prices). Tavernas are unlikely to hike their prices up for the sake of it and risk pushing customers away.

Petrol remains the main thing out of the locals control and all the signs are that the Greek government are likely to continue to increase tax on easy targets such as fuel (sounds familiar doesn't it). But for just a week I suspect most of us wont notice much difference given the high price we are used to in the UK. I probably have one of the largest fuel bills of any spring visitor with four weeks of day trips around the island, and I'm not budgeting on seeing that much of a difference even over four weeks.

Last edited by Steve Dudley : Thursday 10th November 2011 at 17:14.

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 14th November 2011, 10:17   #30
cheshirebirder

Just had an e-mail from Thomas Cook. We're booked on the first Manchester flight out on May 5th. They have put both outbound and inbound flights forward by 3 hours. Means we now have to get to Manchester airport for 3 - 4am !! Really annoys me how they change things like this since getting to the airport for that time makes it pretty impossible to arrange without paying large taxi fees.( we normally have an arrangement with friend to take each other to the airport,but can't ask them to take us at that time)

Last edited by cheshirebirder : Monday 14th November 2011 at 11:05.
Old Monday 14th November 2011, 15:56   #31
Steve Dudley
aka The Toadsnatcher

Book and DVD reviews

I've recently added a section to the Lesvos Birding website for book and DVD reviews. There's already quite a few on there (inc. Bird Images Birdwatching in Europe DVD which covers Lesvos) and I'll aim to add a few more items over the winter so that folk have any of my recommendations ahead of the 2012 season.

Old Tuesday 22nd November 2011, 11:40   #32
Mick Sway
BF Supporter 2018

5th May From Manchester

FYI - Except for Eressos, can't see any availability now for 5th May packages from Manchester.
Looks like we will be dipping this year.
Mick
Flickr Album - 10 years/130 images of species recorded on Lesvos.[/font]

Last edited by Mick Sway : Tuesday 22nd November 2011 at 20:09.

BF Supporter 2012 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 23rd November 2011, 05:57   #33
wolfbirder

Location: Wolverhampton - the true original Capital of the Black Country
What is Lesvos like in Oct in late October - as my 50th birthday is then (well 3/11). Is weather ok as my family (non-birders) will want to enjoy it too.
Fav Birds - Hen/Pallid/Monty Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Hobby, Golden Eagle, Merlin, SE Owl, Pom Skua, Hawfinch, Wryneck, Redstart, Shrikes, Roller, Bee-eater's, Nightjar, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Spotted Redshank, any Warblers (especially yank ones)!
Old Wednesday 23rd November 2011, 12:23   #34
Steve Dudley
aka The Toadsnatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbirder View Post
What is Lesvos like in Oct in late October - as my 50th birthday is then (well 3/11). Is weather ok as my family (non-birders) will want to enjoy it too.
October can be OK, but migration quietened down considerably (see here for this October's summary).

Weather wise, it will be cool to cold with a 50% chance of rain.

Only the year-round tavernas are open as the summer season tavernas will have closed.

Old Wednesday 23rd November 2011, 12:27   #35
Steve Dudley
aka The Toadsnatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Sway View Post
FYI - Except for Eressos, can't see any availability now for 5th May packages from Manchester.
Looks like we will be dipping this year.
Mick
Mick no! Surely you can go via Athens from Manchester cant you? Easyjet still do MAN to ATH I think. And book your accommodation direct? The package companies only have so many rooms per hotel/village, the rest up for grabs for those on flight only. But I know the popular options are booking up quite quickly for May already so you would need to be quick.

Old Monday 19th December 2011, 17:23   #36
Tony Knight

Is there much difference in what's around between w/c 12/5 and w/c 19/5 ? Prices for w/c 19/5 seem much cheaper but what will i miss if i go that week vs 12/5 ? I guess there is more chance of rosy starling too if i go on 19/5 ??

Tony
Old Tuesday 20th December 2011, 18:08   #37
Steve Dudley
aka The Toadsnatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Knight View Post
Is there much difference in what's around between w/c 12/5 and w/c 19/5 ? Prices for w/c 19/5 seem much cheaper but what will i miss if i go that week vs 12/5 ? I guess there is more chance of rosy starling too if i go on 19/5 ??

Tony
Yep, you'll stand a very good chance of Rosy Starling, but the main passage will be coming to an end. The main two weeks are the the last week of April and the first week of May. It can start to get seriously warm from w/c 19 May too. Personally if I was going for just one week then I'd choose the earlier one.

Old Wednesday 21st December 2011, 07:33   #38
Tony Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dudley View Post
Yep, you'll stand a very good chance of Rosy Starling, but the main passage will be coming to an end. The main two weeks are the the last week of April and the first week of May. It can start to get seriously warm from w/c 19 May too. Personally if I was going for just one week then I'd choose the earlier one.
Steve - Thanks for your reply. Sadly its the heat that my wife craves so i wont use that line !! I've already had to compromise by staying at Molyvos not skala K so face a 40 min drive each way each morning !

I presume when you say "the main passage will be coming to an end" this means the numbers of shrikes, orioles, beeaters, buntings, migrating waders would have reduced but it would still relatively easy to find the local breeders eg the k nuthatches, cin and cretch buntings ?

thanks
Tony

Last edited by Tony Knight : Wednesday 21st December 2011 at 12:22.
Old Thursday 22nd December 2011, 17:17   #39
Steve Dudley
aka The Toadsnatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Knight View Post
I presume when you say "the main passage will be coming to an end" this means the numbers of shrikes, orioles, beeaters, buntings, migrating waders would have reduced but it would still relatively easy to find the local breeders eg the k nuthatches, cin and cretch buntings?
Yes. Although every year is different, when I've stayed in to mid-May I've noticed a real drop off of passage from the end of the first week in May and when temps do ramp up, then birding through the middle of the day becomes hard work (and sometimes pointless when it gets to 30C).

Old Thursday 22nd December 2011, 18:30   #40
Sandra (Taylor)
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Yes. Although every year is different, when I've stayed in to mid-May I've noticed a real drop off of passage from the end of the first week in May and when temps do ramp up, then birding through the middle of the day becomes hard work (and sometimes pointless when it gets to 30C).

Just started to reply but then read Steve's post and it's exactly what I was writing. We notice it becoming much more difficult from the middle of the month onward. But we'll have had a week of frenetic activity from 5th May.

Sandra

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 29th December 2011, 08:30   #41
Tony Knight

Thanks Steve and Sandra for the advice - all booked up now for the w/c 12/5 at the Aphrodite Hotel in Molyvos ! They'll be a few early morning starts to drive down to Skala Kallonis or Napi valley (looks like there's a cut through from the Petra-Kalloni road) for about 6.15 am !

Already armed with a copy of your book Steve - it will be interesting to see how the island has changed since my one and only visit in 2006.

Tony
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Last edited by Tony Knight : Thursday 29th December 2011 at 08:33.
Old Monday 2nd January 2012, 07:47   #42
avifauna
BF Supporter 2018

[quote=Tony Knight;2321643]
They'll be a few early morning starts to drive down to Skala Kallonis or Napi valley (looks like there's a cut through from the Petra-Kalloni road)

Hi Tony, I visited Lesvos in August '11 - and found the shortcut you mention not very tempting with an ordinary car. Rough surface and lots of holes and dumps and bumps made me skip this. - But others might have other experience with this road than me.

BF Supporter 2008 2014 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 09:07   #43
Steve Dudley
aka The Toadsnatcher

The Kremastes bridge track between the Kalloni/Petra road and Aghia Paraskevi/Napi Valley has always been drivable with care and can be a rewarding route, especially in and around the Kremastes bridge and some of the olive groves can be good for Sombre Tit, Middle Spotted Woodpecker, etc. and at the Napi end it can be excellent for passage raptors (it can be very good at holding flocks of Red-footed Falcons between the bridge and the main Napi road). The fact the track needs to be driven slowly is an advantage as you can see things on the way through!

Old Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 09:40   #44
Sandra (Taylor)
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
The Kremastes bridge track between the Kalloni/Petra road and Aghia Paraskevi/Napi Valley has always been drivable with care and can be a rewarding route, especially in and around the Kremastes bridge and some of the olive groves can be good for Sombre Tit, Middle Spotted Woodpecker, etc. and at the Napi end it can be excellent for passage raptors (it can be very good at holding flocks of Red-footed Falcons between the bridge and the main Napi road). The fact the track needs to be driven slowly is an advantage as you can see things on the way through!
I agree Steve - we were late finding this road and always retraced the journey back to the main road we'd come from. Then one day we carefully carried on from the bridge and so glad we found this area - it's a delight.

Sandra

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 3rd January 2012, 10:31   #45
swarovskiuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra (Taylor) View Post
I agree Steve - we were late finding this road and always retraced the journey back to the main road we'd come from. Then one day we carefully carried on from the bridge and so glad we found this area - it's a delight.

Sandra
Super Track for M.S.Woodpecker,keep one eye out for the Snakes

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 4th January 2012, 12:32   #46
Steve Dudley
aka The Toadsnatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra (Taylor) View Post
Hi Sandra. I've only really started to spend more time along the Kremastes track in the last few years and really didn't cover it at all in my book other than pointing to it on the Napi valley map. So if you haven't explored this area yet, then do so when you're next on the island. A picnic lunch by the bridge is a great way to watch the area too. Its amazing what jumps in/out of the river here when you're at there filling your face.

Old Wednesday 4th January 2012, 20:18   #47
Tony Knight

Hans - thanks for the warning though if i'm going to get to napi valley and plantania (where my hoopoe avatar pic was taken, just round the corner from the olive tree warbler cattle grid !) and back in reasonable time i think i will have to risk it !!

Steve / Sandra - thanks again for the info. I presume you were just driving a normal cheap rental car, rather than a 4wd ??

Off to Gambia again in 6 weeks but I'm far more excited about getting back to Lesvos again after 5 years away !!

Tony
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Last edited by Tony Knight : Wednesday 4th January 2012 at 21:18.
Old Thursday 5th January 2012, 07:41   #48
Sandra (Taylor)
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Hi Sandra. I've only really started to spend more time along the Kremastes track in the last few years and really didn't cover it at all in my book other than pointing to it on the Napi valley map. So if you haven't explored this area yet, then do so when you're next on the island. A picnic lunch by the bridge is a great way to watch the area too. Its amazing what jumps in/out of the river here when you're at there filling your face.

Thanks Steve - yes, we'll spend a day round there. We always make a point of driving to the bridge - usually see hoopoe on the way in the fields - but never went further than that. We are on the island for two weeks from 5th (? Saturday) May.

Old Thursday 5th January 2012, 07:51   #49
Sandra (Taylor)
BF Supporter 2018

Steve / Sandra - thanks again for the info. I presume you were just driving a normal cheap rental car, rather than a 4wd ??

Off to Gambia again in 6 weeks but I'm far more excited about getting back to Lesvos again after 5 years away !!

Tony

Yes Tony - we always hire a Group A car, nothing bigger. Arranging for a car from Tsalis I think this year for the two weeks.

We feel the same about Lesvos too - only missed once in c8 yrs and even then Bob had to go later in the year - on his own.

Sandra

Old Thursday 5th January 2012, 12:28   #50
Tony Knight

Hi Sandra - I saw Tsalis were a recommended link on Steve's website but it seems you have to request the car you want before seeing a price which makes comparison with other suppliers very difficult. Steve's website suggests €224 less 15% for a 7 day hire but the same car seems to be only 124 from "economy car hire". Wondered if there might be hidden extras but their website says;

Not just a cheap price!
Unlike other car hire brokers, our prices always include full Collision Damage Waiver with No Insurance Excess to pay in the event of Collision Damage or Theft.

5% Online Discount
FREE Additional Driver
Full Collision Damage Waiver
Full Theft Waiver
No Insurance Excess

Tony
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: