Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

"Extinct breeders of the NW"

Old Friday 3rd February 2012, 22:13   #1
Himalaya

"Extinct breeders of the NW"

I have always wondered why Nightjar are more or less extinct in the North West. If they do breed then obviously it is a secret but the number of sightings in Lancashire is maybe a couple a year at the most or even gaps of 2-3 years?

They may occur a bit more frequently in Merseyside ,Cheshire and Greater Manchester. I have no idea about Cumbria. Are there breeding populations there or even regular non-breeding visitors? There appears to be fairly decent numbers in Yorkshire including North Yorkshire as well as Southern Scotland. What is wrong with the North West? Nightjar appear to be quite broad habitat wise - heaths, moorland, open forest, marsh (?), dunes..

On the North West they did occur at the Formby and Ainsdale Dunes, Simonswood Moss, Longridge Fell too name but a few. Could Nightjar recolonise? There are populations in Staffs, North Yorksire, Derbyshire and Southern Scotland. I know population is falling but faster in some areas than others. Are there any projects to encourage Nightjar to re-establish?

Turtle Dove is another bird that has disappeared from the North West but they had a pair at Fairburn Ings last summer. I have no idea if they bred but they stayed for some time. I know they are ruthlessly hunted but any reason why the north western population disappeared whilst a few occur in Yorkshire? I do realise that even in their south-east strong hold these birds are suffering. They have one or two turning up in Lancashire and Cheshire and probably Merseyside and Greater Manchester on a yearly basis but where is the nearest breeding population?

Nightingales are another bird which have dramatically declined. However, even before the decline they were rare in the North-west. They have had very few records. Any reason for this? Have they ever bred in the North West? Where is the nearest population now? Northants?
Old Friday 3rd February 2012, 23:41   #2
lashinala

Had 1 here for a few weeks in early December.
Old Saturday 4th February 2012, 09:11   #3
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
There appears to be fairly decent numbers in Yorkshire including North Yorkshire as well as Southern Scotland. What is wrong with the North West? Nightjar appear to be quite broad habitat wise - heaths, moorland, open forest, marsh (?), dunes..

On the North West they did occur at the Formby and Ainsdale Dunes, Simonswood Moss, Longridge Fell too name but a few. Could Nightjar recolonise? There are populations in Staffs, North Yorksire, Derbyshire and Southern Scotland. I know population is falling but faster in some areas than others. Are there any projects to encourage Nightjar to re-establish?
There's a few sites in North East Wales too.

James
Old Sunday 5th February 2012, 20:40   #4
Himalaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashinala View Post
Had 1 here for a few weeks in early December.
had what sorry?
Old Sunday 5th February 2012, 20:41   #5
Himalaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWN Andrewes View Post
There's a few sites in North East Wales too.

James
Which areas and what type of habitat they prefer?
Old Sunday 5th February 2012, 23:20   #6
Jaff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
Which areas and what type of habitat they prefer?
This is something that should not be discussed openly. Remember the old wartime posters "Careless talk costs lives". In this case those of rare birdies and their unborn progeny if you catch my drift.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 8th February 2012, 23:42   #7
Himalaya

True..I should have asked what type of habitat the Nightjar are found in North Wales, the Midlands and Yorkshire
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: