• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canada geese trying to kill a hawk???? (1 Viewer)

scuba0095

I saw something really wierd today out by the pond a red tail looked like it had caught a male mallard duck, and if that was not crazy enough get this

there was a few canada geese on the pond they do not have eggs and they do not have chicks they were just flocking around the water

Soon as the hawk was on the duck i saw them all swimming towards the hawk and this big male gander actually attacked the hawk like he was trying to kill it and the other geese were swimming up to join in the attack! The hawk got away but i mean the way that goose was attacking it, it was as though it wanted to kill the hawk and the fact that other geese were on their way to join in it.

LIke a pack of dogs attacking an animal ive never seen something like that in the bird world. THey were not mobbing the hawk they were OUT right attacking it hissing bitting and giving blows with their huge wings.

THey didnt even try to leave the ground they walked up to the hawk and outright just bang started beating on it. The duck survived. I can't believe the geese acted like this!!!

HAs anyone heard such a thing? Here is the thing i have seen geese defend their chicks but these geese had NO chicks or eggs they are in my yard behind my complex i see them every day they sometiems come right up to my balcony and eat grass.

The way they acted was so vicious and scary i mean the blows they give with their wings looked like if they hit the hawk in the right spot they could kill it. THe hawk even puffed up at first ready to fight but then just got out of there.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back