• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IDs' Please (1 Viewer)

NAL1212

All four pictures were taken today in Lake County, Il.

#2 is a small bird with a bug in its mouth. Is it a Flycatcher, Warbler, or what?

#1 & #3 are of a Thrush, but which Thrush?

#4 Looks like a Vireo ?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

NAL1212

Attachments

• P10203091.jpg
    P10203091.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 103
  • P10203231.jpg
    P10203231.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 87
  • P10203242.jpg
    P10203242.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 101
  • P10203261.jpg
    P10203261.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I'm taking a stab at pictures 2 & 3:

#2 - Ruby Crowned Kinglet...????
#3 - Swainson's Thrush (as well as possibly #1)
#4 - No clue... :-(

Scott

1. ? Is this the same bird as the one in # 3? If it is then it is a Swainson's Thrush.

2. Least Flycatcher
I believe you can make a complete eyering (if you "work at it"). The bill to me looks a little large for a kinglet. I don't think a kinglet would take a prey item this large. The wings look too dark for a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. Also there appears to be a little dark area above the top wing bar (not good for Ruby-crowned Kinglet). A Ruby-crowned Kinglet would have a dark area below the bottom wing bar, whereas the Least Flycatcher would have all dark wings with the whitish/buffy wingbars.

3. Swainson's Thrush

4. Red-eyed Vireo (probably a juvenile with brownish eyes)

I'm still going to go with Ruby-crowned Kinglet, as I think I can see some red on the crown of the bird. Could just be an artifact though.

I just recalled that some flycatchers have a red spot on their crown that's often hidden. Is the Least one of them?

The Least Flycatcher does not have any red in the crown. The only flycatcher I can think of off-hand with red in its crown is the Eastern Kingbird, but some of the other tyrannidae might have some red on their crowns also.

The red in # 2 is an artifact of the photo I believe. That same "red" coloring is on the throat and on the bend of the wing. All artifacts.

Thanks to all,

Pictures #1 & #3 must be Swainson's Thrushes, a website for our area Illinois IBET has been reporting many sightings of these birds.

Picture # 2 does look more like a Least Flycatcher, because of the two distinct wingbars, whereas the Kinglet's top wingbar is faint in most pictures.

Picture #4 I agree is a Vireo, but could it be a Warbling Vireo? I did not hear it sing.

I just think that the Red-eyed Vireo has the more contrasting crown in relation to the mantle. The Warbling Vireo is usually more uninform in its overall coloration,crown and mantle. To me the Red-eyed shows the greenish cast in the mantle and the Warbling is more grayish.

The dark eyeline is a little subdued in your photo (a little more like a Warbling's eyeline). I would think this should be a little bit darker for a Red-eyed. But I am still staying with Red-eyed Vireo for this bird.

#4 is not a Red-eyed Vireo. I think it's either a Philadelphia Vireo or a bright Warbling Vireo.

I agree #2 is an Empidonax flycatcher.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back