• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confusing Fall Warblers (1 Viewer)

NAL1212

There was a fall out of Warblers around Lake Arlington today in North eastern Illinois.

Here are pictures of some of the birds , IDs would be appreciated.

NAL1212

Attachments

• P10204811.jpg
    P10204811.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 155
  • P10204931.jpg
    P10204931.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 175
  • P10204961.jpg
    P10204961.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 179
  • P10205491.jpg
    P10205491.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 144
  • P10205301.jpg
    P10205301.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 189
1) Red-eyed Vireo
2) Cape May, I think, judging from the streaked yellow underparts, thick white median coverts and plain facial pattern
3) & 4) I'm thinking Tennessee for these, but far from sure. I'll leave them to your compatriots
5) Yellow-rumped Warbler

Last edited:
Agreed on all counts. 3 & 4 are both Tennessee, although I suspect #3 is an adult fall male and #4 an immature.

I searched the forum for this topic.

I had a Warbler this week in a St Louis park that had a clear, complete eye ring, so I am thinking Nashville. There was almost no yellow, just the olive on top and a buff color below. The eye rings seemed to connect in a spectacle appearance. But then it got confusing. My bird had the wing bars just like the bird in the fifth picture. No longer fits Nashville.

Ideas?

It is too late in the season for Chestnut Sided here, but that would be another guess.

Last edited:
Hi- with the spectacles, gray head and wing-bars- how about a blue-headed vireo? The "connected spectacles" really points that way-

:flyaway: Robin

Yes, thanks, that looks very close, will study that a bit. There was no yellow on the sides.

I looked at some books, and one that I don't have, the Smithsonian guide, had a picture that was a very close match. So my warbler was a vireo. ;)

I had seen several odd warblers in this area through Oct so I was just thinking warbler.

Last edited:
Added:
also found someone else at same site Oct 16 posting
There were some good birds there anyway:
nice male BLACK-THROATED GREEN warb.
ORANGE-CROWNED warb.
Several Golden Crowned Kinglets, Brown creepers
WOOD THRUSH, Hermit thrushes, thought someone saw a Swainson's (?)
Fox sparrows
WINTER WREN
BLUE-HEADED VIREO

YEAH! I think the blue-headed vireos quite attractive, and rather friendly, too. So- did you see all the other birds listed, too? Most of our migrants have gone south by now |:(|

Robin

voguedog said:
YEAH! I think the blue-headed vireos quite attractive, and rather friendly, too. So- did you see all the other birds listed, too? Most of our migrants have gone south by now |:(|

Robin
Well, we get some sparrow migrants, but only have seen fox sparrow in spring. No, the list was someome that spends hours a week in that city park. I have never seen several warblers that do go through here.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back