• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Autumn Birding in Southern Ireland (1 Viewer)

rokermartin

I was thinking of going to Southern Ireland this autumn looking for american waders and other birds for a week.And was wondering if any bird forum members have been over to S Ireland that time of year and whether they have been on any organised bird tours or had a guide to show them the birds.Cannot find much info on birdwatching holidays for Ireland.Any advise or info would be greatly appreciated.

Get yourself onto Google Earth to look for suitable spots, buy Dempsey and O'Clery's new 'Where to Find Birds in Ireland' and then get a cheap Ryanair flight, get a hire car and aim your nose to wherever the low is due to/has recently hit.

I've done plenty of trips to Ireland in early autumn the last couple of years -the birds are there for the taking. The worst thing you could do is tag along with a guided group - you need to do some off piste stuff and being shown Choughs and the like are hardly going to put you in prime position. In half a dozen trips early autumn I've found Fea's Petrel, Baird's Sand, a couple of Pec Sands and Buff-Bs, two AGPs together, Kumlien's Gull, Surf Scoter and Ring-billed Gull... it is that easy, trust me.

I've tended to concentrate on Kerry but Clare, Cork, Mayo and Donegal would all be worth a pop. I've tended to leave Wexford as that's where the birding God lives.

Cheers and good birding

Rich

Get yourself onto Google Earth to look for suitable spots, buy Dempsey and O'Clery's new 'Where to Find Birds in Ireland' and then get a cheap Ryanair flight, get a hire car and aim your nose to wherever the low is due to/has recently hit.

I've done plenty of trips to Ireland in early autumn the last couple of years -the birds are there for the taking. The worst thing you could do is tag along with a guided group - you need to do some off piste stuff and being shown Choughs and the like are hardly going to put you in prime position. In half a dozen trips early autumn I've found Fea's Petrel, Baird's Sand, a couple of Pec Sands and Buff-Bs, two AGPs together, Kumlien's Gull, Surf Scoter and Ring-billed Gull... it is that easy, trust me.

I've tended to concentrate on Kerry but Clare, Cork, Mayo and Donegal would all be worth a pop. I've tended to leave Wexford as that's where the birding God lives.

Cheers and good birding

Rich
Thanks for the advice ,you have found some good birds

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back