• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo GH1720 head disassembly (1 Viewer)

G_Lintz

Does anyone know how to take this head apart to access the tilt mechanism?

Found it simple enough to take apart the pan mechanism to regrease it but the tilt is sticking and not smooth and I can't see an obvious way to disassemble it!

Cheers,
Gary.

Does anyone know how to take this head apart to access the tilt mechanism?

Found it simple enough to take apart the pan mechanism to regrease it but the tilt is sticking and not smooth and I can't see an obvious way to disassemble it!

Cheers,
Gary.

Hello

Last year I had to regrease my Gitzo GH1720 QR head because the pan movement was a bit stiff and sticky.
In attachment you can find the "exploded" map of the head with all the components

Best,

Attachments

• GH1720QR_20100518.pdf
    171.6 KB · Views: 160
What sort of grease are you two using? I have a 1720 with tilt movements that have always been too loose and floppy.

So far I have only had a few opposite problems (stiff and sticky movements) with an old Manfrotto #136 head and the newer Gitzo GH 1720QR.

In both cases I used a Teflub white grease (PTFE) with good results.

I actually tried a CRC industrial adhesive grease.

I had already looked at an exploded diagram showing all the parts but still cannot figure out how to take apart the 2 parts of the casting so I can regrease the tilt bushings (?)

I used some silicon grease for the pan bushings, which seems to work ok.

For any of you who successfully took it apart, how did you uncrew the screw on the side with the arm? I can't get it to budge!Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 12.05.23 PM.png

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back