• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Porros or Roof Prisms -- survey (1 Viewer)

Tero

Retired
United States
I guess I don't know how to attach a voting type of thread. So you can just answer by number which type you are. You can explain your preferences.

1. I use porros only.
2. I use mainly porros, also some roof prisms
3. I use them equally.
4. I use mainly roof prisms, but sometimes porros.
5. I use only roof prisms.

I personally am currently 4, but close to 3, really.

5 for me and my wife
I tried porro's when first started birding used them for maybe 10 years or so, got a pair of roofs in a sale, liked the balance in my hand so much not used anything else since. My wife uses the my older pair of roofs
Tero said:
I guess I don't know how to attach a voting type of thread. So you can just answer by number which type you are. You can explain your preferences.

1. I use porros only.
3. I use them equally.

Tero said:
1. I use porros only.
3. I use them equally.
5. I use only roof prisms

Hi Tero,

5 - Robust/waterproof/ergonomics/eye relief (7x42 & 8x20 U'vid, 8x32 HG).

Chris

I'm a 4 but could easily be a 5.

Jaeger near Chicago

Tero said:

1. I use porros only.
3. I use them equally.

2 leaning towards 1

Remeber, not all roof binoculars are bullet proof and water proof. I had a Bushnell 10x32 folding model that was certainly not waterproof and the prism came loose after a short drop. And many military binoculars like the Steiners are porros built like a tank.

For bird watching: 2. Mainly Porros but sometimes roof
For Astronomy: 4. Mainly roofs but sometimes Porro

If there is a chance of rain, I take a roof glass for bird watching, and often the roof with its 40 mm. objective on a cloudy day.
For astronomy, I have a 12x50 roof on a monopod and 15x60 Porro on a tripod. I need motivation to use the latter.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Tero said:

1. I use porros only.
3. I use them equally.

Definately a 4.

I like to use porros when I am not going to be doing much/any walking. Once I start "hoofin it," their extra bulk all but eliminates them from consideration.

:frog:

Same here. A number 3 for me as well. I use my EIIs as much as my LXs. It depends on what kind of mood I am in and what type of situation I plan on using them for.

Tero said:

1. I use porros only.
3. I use them equally.

Hi its 2 for me based on the fact that i started with porro's and have become used to the ergonomics and stereo depth image effect
That said i do like some roofs especially in 8 x 32 spec

richt

Tero said:
1. I use porros only.
3. I use them equally.

I was a 5...but, having discovered the Nikon 10x35 EII, I'm now turning into a 1. These are lighter, have a wider FOV, feel and fit better in my hands than the roofs (Tasco Rare Bird 8x42). Also 10x feels more natural and easy to my eyes than 8x (a consequence of the EII's wide FOV?). Waterproofing is not a concern in my case.

ensis

Has to be 5, had some porros - only use roof prism jobbies now. Other half had some porros (12x50) too big for her, she has a very nice set of the new Minox lightweight roof prism jobbies and is highly delighted with them.

Started with porros, then picked up a pair of Leica 8x32s one day. A HUGE mistake as far as my wallet's concerned. Having small hands and now stuck wearing eyeglasses has just accentuated the superior ergonomics of roofs.

After several years use of 8x32/42 roofs, using porros of any type just feels like holding a big turd.

I'll keep my "turd" then, and you enjoy that little toothpick binocular of yours. I rather like holding the binocular with my hands, not just my thumbs like roofs.

For me, all in all, the flattter view of the roofs suits my eyes better. But I have an easier time finding birds in very quick settings with the wide view porros. I also enjoy bright views in gloomy winter on the porros. So it has nothing to do with holding, almost. Weight is a factor, though.

Last edited:
Bill Atwood said:
After several years use of 8x32/42 roofs, using porros of any type just feels like holding a big turd.

Bill,
Have you considered entering one of those Cow Chip throwing
contests that are famously held at Mid Western County Fairs?
Bob :'D

I'm a 4.

When I made the switch several years ago I found roofs odd to hold. So used to porro's that it was an adjustment. I quickly made the change and I can't go back now. I am still in love with my Leica 8X42's but I do have a spare set of porro's that I keep in the other vehicle.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back