• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica APO Televid 77 (1 Viewer)

stanfairgrieve

I find it strange there is no mention of the Leica scope here.
I have the APO Televid 77 and think its great. I use it for digiscoping 'all subjects'
I'm not a true twicher as such but I have been taking a few shots of birds and I think I'm getting hooked. There are some beautiful bird photos in your gallery.
Im still finding my way around this forum and tried to upload a couple of bird photos to 'Digiscoped Photos' but the upload button didnt work. I'll try again later
Stan

Hi Stan,

I also digiscope with the Leica - some of my photos are in the gallery. Most digiscopers seem to use the Swarovski, but I think the Leica's a great scope and for general birding I prefer it. But each to his own.

Robin

Hello Stan,

I also use the leica for digiscoping and think its brilliant,
Especially with the mark 2 zoom eyepiece.
I only bought my gear recently after deciding between the swaro or the leica and im very very happy with the leica.
(You can see my attempts at handheld digiscoping in the gallery)

Pete.

Thanks for the comments all, I will have a look at your photos in the gallery.
One of my biggest problems is finding the bird through the camera. I started a thread somwhere looking for ideas for a finder scope DIY or otherwise. Has anyone come across anything interesting. I use the angled Leica scope. My eyepiece is the 32WW I haven't tried any other.
Stan
Stan

The Leica is an excellent scope..... perhaps the fact that it's so well known as a quality scope means that there had been little discussion on it.
Sorry Stan, I moved this thread to the digiscoping section on scopes, as the discussion is primarily digiscoping related.
Regards,
Andy

hello stan,
Ive got an lce adaptor coming to me at some point...
But like some others I think im in for a longgggg wait..
:(
thanks

Had my first attempt at digiscoping using Leica APO 77 & Nikon CP4500 - it's harder than it looks !

Tony

Hey Peteee23,

Mine arrived after a four week wait. It looks pretty but my home made one gives better results with more centralised view and less vignetting. At least they must have them back in stock now, so yours may not be too long.

T0ny - I found that you have to acquire the technique, it's worth persevering though. I was a little disheartened at first and it was only through following Andy's detailed advice about camera settings in the forums that I manged reasonable results. Once you've got a decent photo you gain more confidence and start altering the settings to suit your own tastes. Stick with it :t:

If I were in the market for a new scope I would only consider Leica or Swarovski, but I've only recently forked out for Leica 10x42 BN bins so one step at a time. However, the quality of Leica APO Televid 77 was highlighted at the weekend when a birder I know here in Iceland was testing out his brand new scope and picked out a King Eider from a raft of Common Eider at an alleged distance of 5 miles. Sounds implausible but he saw it from an elevated position across the glacial sands close to the shore and he was five miles from the shore. Perhaps Leica should use this in their advertising.

Edward, I agree with your comments on the APO Televid 77. I pushed the boat out last year and bought one. I knew I had a good scope, with a clear image, but this was brought home to me last month when a friend and I were birding a lake on Bodmin Moor. He picked out a 'funny duck' with his Swarovski AT80HD but all he could see was the shape - the bird was about half a mile away and strong sunlight was hampering viewing. I got onto the bird and through my Leica could see that it was a female Ring-necked Duck. The head shape helped of course, but I could also see the face markings, which the Swarovski couldn't pick up.

Hi Edward, Darrel,
Its an amazing scope.
With my Leica APO Televid 77 and 32WW eyepiece I can clearly read the lettering on a factory wall 13 miles across the Firth of Forth to Fife in Scotland and the lettering isn't that big. You will know what it is like viewing across water. I have a photo somewhere but I'm still having problems uploading.
Regards Stan
Regards Stan

What Kind Of Camera

robinm said:
Hi Stan,

I also digiscope with the Leica - some of my photos are in the gallery. Most digiscopers seem to use the Swarovski, but I think the Leica's a great scope and for general birding I prefer it. But each to his own.

Robin

HI ROBIN,
THIS IS JOHN FROM GLENDALE . I SAW THAT YOU ALSO USE A LEICA SCOPE AND WAS WANDERING WHAT KIND OF A CAMERA AND ADAPTER THAT YOU USE ON YOUR SCOPE.
THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME.
jgrimmett

the leica apo televid 77 combined with the 32x wide angle eyepiece is a phenomenal piece of equipment.

i've tried one out two or three times and it would definately be my first choice,i'd be torn between the zoom or the wide angle though.
if i had the zoom i think i'd be forever tweeking it trying to find the optimal viewing power.

the 32x eyepiece seems to be the perfect compromise,and gives enough power for most situations.i'd love one....new bins first ;)

matt

j grimmett said:
HI ROBIN,
THIS IS JOHN FROM GLENDALE . I SAW THAT YOU ALSO USE A LEICA SCOPE AND WAS WANDERING WHAT KIND OF A CAMERA AND ADAPTER THAT YOU USE ON YOUR SCOPE.
jgrimmett
Hi,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

I have posted something in your other thread. Feel free to ask any other questions there.

j grimmett said:
HI ROBIN,
jgrimmett

Excuse me coming in on your request but I thought some articles on my website www,digiscoping-uk.co.uk might help with what camera and adapter
regards Stan

The Leica Apo Televid 77 combined with the 20x is even more phenomenal!! A massive wide FOV & brilliant clear totally sharp image.

Nick k said:
The Leica Apo Televid 77 combined with the 20x is even more phenomenal!! A massive wide FOV & brilliant clear totally sharp image.

Sometimes I think the Leica 77 is somewhat of a beast. It is a load to carry. The optics are real good so I guess that is why I use it. I own a nikon fieldscope for the times I have to pack a scope and airline travel is involved. I mostly use the Leica.

I am curious about the 20x eyepiece. There is an Amish shoestore in Central PA that also sells Leica Optics, so I think I will see if they carry the 20x eyepiece.

I bird with 7x binoculars. The more I do this, the more I prefer the ease of use of lower powers.

Mike

Last edited:
michaelboustead said:
Sometimes I think the Leica 77 is somewhat of a beast. It is a load to carry. The optics are real good so I guess that is why I use it. I own a nikon fieldscope for the times I have to pack a scope and airline travel is involved. I mostly use the Leica.

I am curious about the 20x eyepiece. There is an Amish shoestore in Central PA that also sells Leica Optics, so I think I will see if they carry the 20x eyepiece.

I bird with 7x binoculars. They more I do this, the more I prefer the ease of use of lower powers.

Mike
There are quite a number of BF members that love their low power eyepieces. Some Leica APO 62 owners swear by their 16x lens's (i.e. the 20x on the 77).
My Zeiss 65 Zoom starts at 15x and is a delight in its wide, bright view.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back