• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Michigan, haunting call (1 Viewer)

BirdNoob87

Good morning, experts!!

I’m trying to identify a bird, but all I can offer is a description of the call. It’s rather distinct, and has been used as a woods call by my family for many years. The call was heard today (September 3rd) near Boyne City in the north-western quadrant of the lower peninsula of Michigan.

The call is two notes, not repeated. Usually with around 5 seconds between the call. It starts as a shorter mid tone, about a half second long. Then immediately moves into a higher note that descends like the sound of a cartoon dropping bomb, but quickly. From start to finish the call is only about a second long.

Any hints are extremely appreciated, as I can look up specific species calls to verify. Thank you so much for any help you can offer!

Last edited:
Unfortunately that’s not it! The Hermit Thrush has a beautiful call but the trilling warble is absent in the bird I’m hearing. It’s very simple, almost more like the call of the mourning dove but it SOUNDS like it’s a smaller bird making it.

Sounds like “Who-Here?” With a descending tone for the word “here”.

Also, it’s not a kill deer. Sounds similar but a kill deer’s second note starts at the same tone as the first, where as this one’s second note is nearly a half octave higher at the start.

Hi BirdNoob,
I'm actually a bit north of your location (I live in the UP), and nothing really comes to mind given your description. However, the forum allows you to upload audio to your post, so if you are able to take a recording of the sound I would be happy to have a listen and see if it is anything familiar. Welcome to BirdForum!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back