• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lemon breasted Canary South Africa, SE Kruger, June 2019 (1 Viewer)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Please confirm or otherwise this is a Lemon breasted Canary. SE Kruger, S of Lower Sabie, taken June 2019.

Many thanks

Attachments

• ARD_8895.JPG
    ARD_8895.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 41
Not sure what else it could be Andy but the extent of the white eyebrow and yellow undertail don't seem classic?

Edit: I think it's an immature Yellow-fronted.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy.
There is the moustachial stripe that divide to reach the bill and the eye stripe, but could be displaced feathers.
The wing bars are white at the top and yellowish at the bottom, but this could just be the light.
The SASOL 4 depicts the LbC as having a white super and white behind the moustachial stripe, but SASOL Guide to the birds of the Kruger National Park has photos that show it is only white on the female.

Do they hybridise?

Many thanks Andy and thanks for the link. That does it for me too. Pity though, it would have been a lifer. Another time, eh!

I can see why it's ringing alarm bells, but I'd be wary of calling this from this pic too. Happy to be corrected, but isn't it a bit further south than you'd expect to find one too? Thought it was a scarce bird in the far north of the park.

I can see why it's ringing alarm bells, but I'd be wary of calling this from this pic too. Happy to be corrected, but isn't it a bit further south than you'd expect to find one too? Thought it was a scarce bird in the far north of the park.

That was my first thought but looks to be just in range Larry.

I thought soo too from SASOL but looking at range from xeno-canto it covers the eastern part of the KNP, through most of eSwatini (Swaziland) to just past Richard's Bay.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back