• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoylake Bird Observatory (1 Viewer)

Jane, I stopped off at the bottom of Kings Gap on my way home from the high tide birdwatch on Friday (hoping to see Peregrine). Lots of the beach was clear, and only a few waders about. I did notice a new 'islet' out to sea, that I didn't notice while out riding the previous Sunday. Did you see it, and what created it ? It looked like a large pile of sand, and I guess if it was it's probably gone now given the tides and wind we've ahd the last couple of days.

Iain

It was caused by the efforts to retrieve the marker buoy that washed up on Christmas day. A largish channel was cut out of the sand! Its was the spoil heap you saw.

I heard this when I woke up - so its also on my bed list. 64th species of the year and the third for the garden.

I knew I planted that gorse for a good reason!!!!

Attachments

• stone.JPG
    stone.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 410
What a great way to start a day. 64 species already this year - that's more than I've managed in three years from my house.

I've been serenaded by early morning grasshopper, reed, wood and sedge warblers before... The scrub in the front is getting to the point were it is starting to hold migrants.... which is nice!

Lovely day all day. The Stonechat moved off towards Red Rocks. Maybe next year it will breed! There were plenty of Linnets about and a Peregrine, notable by their absence in recent weeks, was sat on the beach. Its calmer, but the sea is too choppy to pick up small grebes.

Thanks to Andrew, now owed a few pints and a snog.... here is one page of missing posts.

Still not got the date form my big flock of Brents though!

Is this anywhere near your house ?
Attached Images hoylake.jpg (73.9 KB, 42 views)

TonyC

Thursday 3rd February 2005, 21:55 #304

Thursday 3rd February 2005, 21:57 #305

Posts: 5,762 I have barely seen a living creature for the last weekl - finally today I saw White throated Sparrow. I'm in Chicago btw.

Thursday 3rd February 2005, 22:11 #306
Cinyras

Chicago is a big city Jane- you been walking around with your eyes closed?

Best wishes,

Thursday 3rd February 2005, 23:23 #307

Posts: 5,762 Not actually been more than across one street...and I'm not counting people!

5th Feb
Went for a walk today!

A couple of Downy Woodpeckers, 4 Bufflehead, a drake Long-tailed Duck, 9 Greater Scaup, A Gadwall, a few Ring-billed Gulls, American Crows and American Herring Gulls. I'll finally be home in the morning! I may even have a couple of usable photos

Nice day, a few Red-throated Divers, a couple of Peregrines but not much else. I've been away so much I've lost all track of the the rides. Doesn't appear to be one today!

65th species. A pair of Jackdaws over the back, extremely high! IN fact I'd never have known they were there unless they had been calling.

The sea is calm, calm enough to see auks on it. I'm hoping that the late pm tide brings something in!

You still have a lead of 6, what are you worried about. Mind you this tide might be good for ducks grebes auks and Divers.... plenty of scope there.

127 Great-crested Grebes, 1 small grebe (presumably Sunday's Slav), 27 Red-throated Divers, 1 Diver spp (prob BT, but too far out), 190 Scoter, 47 Scaup, at least 2 Velvet Scoter, 5 Red-breated Mergansers,a couple of Goldeneye and plenty of Auks

The sea is like a mill pond... fingers crossed it stays like that as it comes in! Rather surprisingly the turbines are still turning!

The previous record count of GC grebes was 122 on Jan 4th 2003, in similarly calm conditions.

Last edited:
Been a quiet day today, with a fierce Northerly wind and no appreciable tide. I only looked for about 40 seconds, but saw 5 Scoter and a Great-crested Grebe. Later on there was what appeared to be an Iceland Gull about 5 miles away. I think I need to see it a bit closer to claim it.

The first Woodpigeon of the year was in the garden, but its already on the year list as a sound record.

Magpies appear to be buidling a nest in the Holly again.

Last edited:
Been in the garden all morning, mostly trying to get the mower started. In between bouts of swearing at it I heard some Siskins go over the front of the house. I didn't see them but it sounded like 3 to 5.

66 for the year, 5 ahead of the same daye in 2004.

Last edited:
Still no luck getting the lawnmower started! Had an overflying Sparrowhawk though, the first of the year. There are a few Coal Tits about, and there is a Chaffinch calling in addition to the ever present Greenfinches and Goldfinches.

I was about 10 meters outside the back gate when a Amllard flew though. Curses! Still I should see one on a sea watch eventually. PIntail is the commonest Dabbling Duck here.

for the year

wow i have just read this fourm wowwowowowowowowowowowowow i picked out 9 lifers from your most recent list and what impressed me most was 4-9 sabines gull wowowow are these getting commoner or is it me

I don't think Sabine's Gulls are getting commoner Timmy - I'm just in a great place to see them if the wind is in the right direction, and the last couple of years have been good for them. Its all down to whether NW gale coincide with their peak passage through the Atlantic.

The lawn mower is working... so I have no excuse now... a night immersed in WD40 did the trick. While I was trying to fix it this morning, more Siskins went over, this time I saw them - about 12, buzzing about and changing position in the flock in flight in a way that only Siskins and Serins can!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back