• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nighthawk ID (1 Viewer)

Can anyone help with the ID of this nighthawk.
Shot at Cancun, Mexico in August 2001. Lesser or Common I know but despite standing 20 feet from it for 15 mins with 2 guide books I still couldn't get it. The bird flew off away from me and behind a Mayan ruin it was roosting on but I was unable to see the white primary patch.
Pda0022.jpg

Last edited:
can't see the pic!
if you can see wing patch then it's perhaps do-able: not staggered and near wing-tip in Lesser, opposite in Common. If u can't see patch then depending on quality of pic could be v. difficult to I.D. Was there in Aug 2003 and saw Lessers only (as in rest of Yucutan). Maybe best to let it go.......

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back