• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dowitchers in Oakland California (1 Viewer)

I would lean toward Long-billed, based on the dark centers of the scapulars, the bill shape, and the very low loral angle. I can't say definitively based on this picture.

Any other pictures? Particularly under wing shots.

Hi both,
Thanks for the info on what to look for in future - I need to learn dowitchers better. Sounds like I'll have to leave this one undetermined. I don't really have other photos. The two that were there were pretty much motionless the whole time I was observing, so the photos are all nearly identical. Another one attached, but I don't think it shows any more.
Thanks,
Tim

Attachments

• IMG_1201.jpg
    IMG_1201.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 30
I feel pretty sure that this is a Long-billed. The dark centered coverts and shallow loral angle as noted above are both consistent with LB.

There are 2 other less reliable reasons I think this is a Long-billed but here they are anyway: First, I think it has a dark chin, LB has a dark chin and SB has a pale chin per surfbirds.net. It is hard to be sure that it isnt just a shadow, but the chin is dark in the photo. Second, it just looks like one, specifically the head and the bill. I do not know if this is addressed in any literature, but the eye placement of LB often seems to give the appearance of more space between the eye and the base of the bill, further accentuating the length of the bill. In this case I get the feeling of a long bill and sleek headed bird aka LB.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back