• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Coolpix P1000 camera finally announced (1 Viewer)

The first disappointment i see is the manual focus ring can be set for other uses if you're in AF, not manual zoom though, that was my biggest disappointment with the P900.

The second disappointment: It weighs "approx. 1415 g (3 lb 2 oz) (including battery and memory card)"
The P900 had already been a bit on the heavy side for my taste, 899g.

Does look to be a bit of a lump, like any other camera and large lens setup. Could soon get used to it though, as said earlier, all depends on the image quality whether I make the move or not.

Den

It is heavy. I have a heavy pair of bins at 1kg, and they prompted me to change the way I do things, buying a harness for a start.
I like the p900, which can be slung over my shoulder all day. P1000 might be asking for (more!) back problems in the long run if I wore it like that, but 3000mm wow, sounds impressive.

The second disappointment: It weighs "approx. 1415 g (3 lb 2 oz) (including battery and memory card)"
The P900 had already been a bit on the heavy side for my taste, 899g.

A very good point. That is comparable to my D7200 (765g) plus 300mm PF (755g) plus 1.4x TC (190g)...well, 295g less, but from the bulky appearance of the camera not in quite such an ergonomic package as the APS-C alternative.

3000mm FF equivalent is clearly a huge apparent reach, but will IQ match a cropped image from a FF or APS-C camera?

Not intending to ignite a 'superzoom vs DSLR' debate here, but this becomes more relevant when the weight / size advantages of the bridge camera disappear.

Even if it weighs 1415g, it could be a phantastic tool for distant waders. My present "150m tool" is definitely not sharp, the lens alone weighs 1.4kg. Plus the tripod, the teleconverters, and I have to focus manually. It all adds up.

So it is surely the "most interesting Photokina thing" for me, more than a FF.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back