• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus C7x0 and teleconverters (1 Viewer)

Hi there,

I currently have an Oly C700 (hope to upgrade to the 750 really soon).

I want to extend my zoom with Teleconverters. I'm currently looking at the Raynox DCR-1850 1.85x. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it any good?

Also, I've noticed that some people on this forum have said they have more than one teleconverter... can these be attached together to give huge zooms? If so...how is it done?

Thanks
Paul

Hi Paul,

I haven't tried the Raynox, just the Olympus teleconverters which seem to be nicely matched to their cameras. This thread has a little more info. Olympus converters

I think the C700 uses a CLA-4 adapter tube.

Hi Paul and a warm welcome to Bird Forum:t:

I have used the Oly 700 for a few years now and I think it is a good camera. The only thing that keeps me from moving on to the 750 is the different battery source. (I've got so much invested in the NIMH batteries and chargers already). Ian is correct, you will need the CLA-4 adapter to add on any converters. I use the B300 with good results. It's a nice hunk of glass.

Thanks for the welcome notes.

I've already got the CLA-4 and a UV filter to protect the lens.

I'm still not sure how (or if it's possible) to connect two teleconverters together. It would be awesome if I could do this and still get good image quality.

Thanks for your help so far. I'm glad I signed up to this forum already :)

Paul

I have an acquaintance who has the EagleEye 5x telephoto lens and puts the B300 on the end of that (using the Coolpix 4500). I believe, but I'm not sure, that they have the same thread size. Apparently, this combination lets more light in than just the EagleEye on its own.

If your desired combination isn't the same size, you can get step up or down rings to fit one onto the other.

Sorry if this seems obvious... but I've never even seen a teleconverter apart from pictures on the net....

Is this correct... I would screw in a teleconverter to the CLA-4 and that teleconverter will have another thread on the end of it... I can then just screw in another teleconverter on the end of that (Assuming they have the same thread size)

PaulThePhotoMan said:
Sorry if this seems obvious... but I've never even seen a teleconverter apart from pictures on the net....

Is this correct... I would screw in a teleconverter to the CLA-4 and that teleconverter will have another thread on the end of it... I can then just screw in another teleconverter on the end of that (Assuming they have the same thread size)

Exactly - or you can put a filter on the end. Most add-on lenses have a thread on the end for this purpose.

As far as the B300 (now discontinued and replaced by the Tcon 1.7) there is only one set of threads on the converter. The back end screws into the CLA4. I believe Ian uses 2 converters on his and somewhere in the archives you will find how he attaches both to his camera. Remember, unless you are using a tripod the more you add the more unstable the camera becomes due to you holding the added weight. Unless of course you are spot on without any shakes :)

PaulThePhotoMan said:
...That method woule cause some serious viginetting (sp) though wouldn't it?

Possibly - depending on the camera. There is not much, from what I've seen, with my friend's set using the Nikon, but maybe with other cameras there may be more vignetting.

I used to have a 995 and recently changed to a Canon G3. Using the EagleEye 5x lens there is a little more vignetting than with the 995, depending on the zoom setting on the camera. I just crop it out in Photoshop.

The juvenile Blackbird in my gallery was taken with this combination. I just allowed more space to allow for the cropping.

Paul,

You have to be very careful as to which lenses you connect together as not all give as good results as others. I suspect the Raynox lens may not be ideal. You'll get images but they may not be sharp. Olympus make a fine set of converters such as the 1.7x B300/Tcon17 and the 1.45x Tcon14 which are obviously designed for Olympus cameras!

The EagleEye Optic Zoom has a 37mm thread at both ends though EagleEye produce thread resizing rings which are very thin so you can get one to suit your camera - or the CLA4 in your case. If you use step rings then these can be quite thick creating greater distance between the glass surfaces so causing more vignetting.

I used to use the EagleEye with an Olympus C2000Z which is not disimilar in design to the C700 series. The images were very 'soft' and vignetting quite unacceptable. I used to have to use digital zoom to 'zoom' it out which further degrades the image. Another downside of the EagleEye is that it is a 'fixed' 5x converter, made of solid metal and quite heavy in addition to the light loss of 2 or 3 f-stops. I used to get around this to some extent by screwing the B300 to the front. The B300 is quite a chunky lens with a 55mm rear lens thread, so you need a 37mm to 55mm step up ring. This large chunk of glass seems to help channel more light into the lens so gaining back some shutter speed. The Tcon-17 has now replaced the B300 but is of the same design. I was more successful in using this combo on a Nikon 4500 which has a much narrower lens with a 28mm thread for looking through the EagleEye. Even then you still get noticeable vignetting.

I'm afraid from my experience I could not recommend it as a combo for the C700.

One other consideration is that so much glass together also means a minimum focusing distance of around 30+ yards comes into play. If you do get the EagleEye then stability will be a big problem. I should think the C700 also has a plastic tripod mount and camera base like the C2100 which is not strong enough to support the weight. EagleEye do a tripod bracket which fits around the lens so as to give more central balance point. EagleEye ship Worldwide so if you do a Google search then you'll find their website easily enough. Photosolve in the States also market EagleEye products which even for me with EagleEye being based in the UK is a cheaper source !

As I said earlier I have the C2100UZ which shares the C700 10x optical zoom plus an image stabiliser which is a boon for hand held stability with such long lenses.

Prior to taking up digiscoping earlier this year almost all of my shots were taken with the C2100UZ with a Tcon14 and B300 attached. Check out my Gallery for all the photos prior to Feb of this year for examples of the results you can get.

The Tcon14 has a rear lens thread of 46mm, but has no front lens thread. I picked one up very cheaply off eBay and simply epoxied a 58mm to 55mm step down ring to the front of the Tcon14. The B300 simply screws into that. I never take the combo off the camera.

At the end of the day you have to make your own decisions as to what to buy, but I can only suggest you research different combos before parting with your money. I have done a fair bit of experimenting along with one or two others. I have no doubts about the B300/Tcon17 being the top converter to use as there is no light loss and no noticeable loss in quality. Adding the Tcon14 leads to slight but acceptable image degradation.

I hope this helps you out.

I've decided to go with the TCON-17 lens thanks to your recommendations.

Down the track I'll also probably look at doing what you have done with the TCON-14 as well. Is there much viginetting with the two lenses combined the way you described?

Actually hardly anything at all at full zoom.

I know it's easy for me to say and quite probably difficult for you to do, but it is definitely far better to 'try before buying' or at least have a look at someone elses set up first.

Hi Paul,

Have you got your TCON-17 now?
For the past 6 weeks I have been looking around for this lens, in Singapore, Hong Kong and a number of online stores in the States. They all say it is out of stock. No one knows when stock will be available again.
Are there anyone in this forum who knows where TCON-17 is still available?

Thanks.

Tang

Tang,

I ordered a TCON-17 today (27th) through my local camera shop. They rang olympus and don't expect any until around the middle of next month.

Apparently people have been buying the TCON-14b at a huge rate and that's why there aren't as many TCON-17's around.

Good luck in your search.
Paul

Hi IanF

Thanks a lot for your info.

I have just ordered from an online store in Singapore who said that TCON-17 will come in by the end of next month.

Tang

G'day Paul,

Before I get too excited about the Tcon17, does it go on to the C700'
What adaper...if any is required>>>>
If "yes" to the above...where do I get one?

Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back