• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common teal? Chennai, South India, Nov (1 Viewer)

GKSwamy

Are both the pictures the same bird; common teal?

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_7583-M-640.JPG
    DSC_7583-M-640.JPG
    332 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_8051-M-640.JPG
    DSC_8051-M-640.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 36
The first looks like a Teal but the second is a Pintail.

Second is a Pintail indeed, but first is not a Common Teal. Face pattern, bill and speculum are all wrong.

Blue speculum is good for Mallard, but the overall impression is unusual, an hybrid of some sort or just a feral Mallard ?

Second is a Pintail indeed, but first is not a Common Teal. Face pattern, bill and speculum are all wrong.

Blue speculum is good for Mallard, but the overall impression is unusual, an hybrid of some sort or just a feral Mallard ?

Don't think the first bird has any Mallard in it, Proportions look all wrong + looks like a much smaller duck. I wonder if speculum colour is a trick of the light. Certainly looks a little odd but more Teal like to my eyes than any Mallard.

Agree on Pintail drake.

agree on common teal for the first: the triangular white medium bar (just above speculum) is typical for teals.

Thanks everyone for the inputs. I thought it might help to post some more pics. These are not of the same bird that we are discussing but were taken on the same day same place and look the same as well.

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• DSC_7518-M-1024.JPG
    DSC_7518-M-1024.JPG
    850.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_7539-M-1024.JPG
    DSC_7539-M-1024.JPG
    950.4 KB · Views: 14
Don't think the first bird has any Mallard in it, Proportions look all wrong + looks like a much smaller duck. I wonder if speculum colour is a trick of the light. Certainly looks a little odd but more Teal like to my eyes than any Mallard.

Agree on Pintail drake.

Thanks. It could be a trick of the light. In the new pic attached, the bird number 3 has blue color in right wing but green color in the left wing. Can there really be of two different colors or is it the light?

Thanks

I guess OP bird is similar to your #5 on the pic above. I guess I've to admit it is a Common Teal although definitely with the strangest face pattern I've ever seen. Optical colours can be confusing.

Thanks. It could be a trick of the light. In the new pic attached, the bird number 3 has blue color in right wing but green color in the left wing. Can there really be of two different colors or is it the light?

Thanks

yes, in a certain angle the green speculum (but also the green stripe on the male's head) can look violet. and the males just are moulting into breeding plumage - maybe later than we are used to see them here in europe.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back