• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Denver Area Birding in late August, early September (1 Viewer)

bost85

I'm going to be in the Denver, CO area at the end of August - beginning of September. I would like to do some birding and am wondering where people would suggest visiting. I would like to hit up Garden of the Gods and RMNP. Does anyone have any specific places in RMNP that are particularly high yield? Or any other places in that part of the state that are high yield? I'm from Minnesota so my primary interest is to find western birds I might not have the chance to see in Minnesota (western/mountain bluebirds, various hummingbirds, black-billed magpie, birds of prey, mountain chickadee, western kingbird, etc.).

Thanks!

Bost,
I'm from SD and would like to find out the same thing for last part of Sept.
From your response I wonder if any COs look at this thread.
Joe

Apparently not often enough! Sorry if too late for you bost85 - hope you had a good trip.

Josef - any target species or destinations? Are you going to be in RMNP, Denver?, Boulder?

For RMNP, try the Beaver Visitor Center - pines from the deck are great for all kinds of goodies. Moraine Park is accessible and easy to drive. Cub and Bear lakes are both easy hikes and offer good looks.

Weather will be getting more and more iffy, but try to get up above treeline on Trail Ridge Road if possible. It is still open as of today. Ptarmigan and Rosy Finches are great targets.

Try searching on Colorado Field Ornithologists and following the links to the birding by county section. You can easily find a few locations close to wherever you will be staying. Enjoy your trip!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back