• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera for Bird Photography (1 Viewer)

I'll second everything Chosun has said. Ist gen Sigma/Tamron 150-600 were a toss up. Sigma sport(second gen) is just too heavy. Tamron G2 is an easy choice. D7200 if you can't afford a D500. D7200 will suit you fine while perfecting your technique.

Hi, Im getting D7200 in a very good condition, 60% price of New D500 and also SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 VC USD very good condition not the G2. Everything for approx. 1200 USD. Hows the deal? Price nt a concern but shall i buy D500+Tamron G2. Im a quick learner and will pick everything up quick :) Is the latter combo much better than the former? I need to shoot Eagles, Peregrine Falcons, raptors and other birds mostly

Last edited:
Hi, Im getting D7200 in a very good condition, 60% price of New D500 and also SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 VC USD very good condition not the G2. Everything for approx. 1200 USD. Hows the deal? Price nt a concern but shall i buy D500+Tamron G2. Im a quick learner and will pick everything up quick :) Is the latter combo much better than the former? I need to shoot Eagles, Peregrine Falcons, raptors and other birds mostly
Sounds in the ballpark for that equipment used depending on condition - check the sold prices on the auction site to get an idea.

The D500+G2 150-600 is a step up primarily because the D500 body will be better than the D7200 in that it has 10fps, better AF, and 200 shot buffer, and more rugged 'Pro' level body. The Tamron G2 is slightly better than the G1. I think you could throw a blanket over them optically, the G2 has closer minimum focus distance of 2.2m, is better constructed and has the tap-in dock which means you can fine tune it to the exact camera body you put it on.

The 2nd rig new will be in the region of double the cost of the first rig used. Only you can decide if it is worth it to you.

Chosun :gh:

The rig I have when I want to go lightweight is a Canon Rebel SL2 with a EF-S 50-250mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM lens, which comes to about a 8x magnification. It's about the same size as a Sony RX10IV but much lighter. The kit version is $850, so also half the price of the RX10, but it has a much better APS-C instead of 1" sensor.

A slightly smaller and more modern alternative would be the Nikon Z50 with the Z 50-250 f/4.5-6.3 VR lens, but it's also significantly more expensive.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back