• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New SIGMA 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM canon Fit (1 Viewer)

Nikon Kid

Love them Sula Bassana
SIGMA 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM
Has anyone got this lens yet, and if so how does it stand against the Canon 10-22

Its sad really answering my own thread, well I am a sado anyway ;)

But if anyone is interested about this new SIGMA 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM
lens I have bought one due next week from kerso, if your are post here and when I get it will take some images and post them here...........

I'd be interested to see some sample shots with this lens, I've just been loaned (with a view to buying) the original 10-20 f4-5.6 so it would be interesting to see how it compares. I must confess that I don't see the need for a faster aperture on a wide angle lens, most of the time you'll be wanting lots fo DOF so will end up stopping down a fair bit.

I think I agree with you, maybe a bit better for indoor work with f3.5, but I believe that it is all new glass and build, old one size 83.5x81 77mm filter, new one is 87.3x88.2 82mm filter. I don't own a filter yet, but maybe when I get into Landscape I will be changing my mind ?

I think I agree with you, maybe a bit better for indoor work with f3.5, but I believe that it is all new glass and build, old one size 83.5x81 77mm filter, new one is 87.3x88.2 82mm filter. I don't own a filter yet, but maybe when I get into Landscape I will be changing my mind ?

It would need to be bigger at the front to be an f3.5 lens so the overall larger size makes sense. I'm sure the new lens will be better, but for the rare occassion that I plan to use mine I decided that the older model would do the job fine. It is an interesting lens to use, 10mm really does alter your perspective. I don't like landscapes shots taken with it as the ultra wide angle tends to flatten the shot, dramatic landscapes loose their impact IMO. I don't shoot landsacpes often (must try harder) but when I do I tend to reach for my 70-200.

EDIT - attached is a snap I took yesterday, my youngest taken at ~20cm with the lens set at 10mm, it really does warp your perspective!

Attachments

• matilda_3157.jpg
    matilda_3157.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 110
I don't like landscapes shots taken with it as the ultra wide angle tends to flatten the shot, dramatic landscapes loose their impact IMO. I don't shoot landscapes often (must try harder) but when I do I tend to reach for my 70-200.
I agree with you there Pete -I often find my 17-40 too wide and that is when the 70-200 comes in handy. I think the ultra wide's are more useful for close-ups of buildings and things where you are restricted as to how far away you can stand. I must admit I am not a big fan of some of the ultra wide shots that have a strange perspective but I know a lot of people do like these lenses.

Last edited:
i like the original 10-20. but its all about perspective.

sometimes a wide angle works sometimes it doesn't, just width is deadly dull. remember near, middle, far.

for outdoors i don't see the point of f2.8 for an extreme wide angle, of course indoors is totally different.

I must confess that I don't see the need for a faster aperture on a wide angle lens, most of the time you'll be wanting lots fo DOF so will end up stopping down a fair bit.

Not really, DoF on a proper WA lens is stupidly huge, even wide open. On a 1.6 crop, 10mm at f4 has a hyperfocal distance of 1.33m - so I can get my feet and the horizon within the DoF!

Here's a few images with the f3.5, be gentle I am still learning.

Attachments

• backgarden9x6.jpg
    backgarden9x6.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 110
  • highwaycrossnight29x6.jpg
    highwaycrossnight29x6.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 85
  • highwaycross19x6.jpg
    highwaycross19x6.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 89
Here's a few Wind Turbines

Attachments

• windturbine229x6.jpg
    windturbine229x6.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 74
  • windturbine49x6.jpg
    windturbine49x6.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 70
  • windturbine39x6.jpg
    windturbine39x6.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
A few more from to-days outing at Peterborough Cathedral gives you idea on the lens.

Thats your lot........I like the lens and can recommend it to anyone who's thinking of buying.

Attachments

• PCathoutside19x6.jpg
    PCathoutside19x6.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 77
  • PCathoutside29x6.jpg
    PCathoutside29x6.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 97
  • PCathinside49x6.jpg
    PCathinside49x6.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 98
I lied, just one more post, I moved the perspective of the middle image, came out well.

Attachments

• PCathoutside2tranform9x6.jpg
    PCathoutside2tranform9x6.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 69
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back