• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alarm Call (1 Viewer)

stevemoorevale

Hi. Happy New Year.

I've just been for a long walk around my local patch and i saw a bird sitting at the top of a tree in someones garden. It think it was about the size of a sparrow. The second i saw it, it saw me and flew off whilst shouting it's alarm call. However, the alarm call is one i've never heard before. The best way i can describe it is like a corncrake (running a credit card along a comb) but it was loud and quick. Has anyone got any ideas what this might be?

Thanks

Hi. Happy New Year.

I've just been for a long walk around my local patch and i saw a bird sitting at the top of a tree in someones garden. It think it was about the size of a sparrow. The second i saw it, it saw me and flew off whilst shouting it's alarm call. However, the alarm call is one i've never heard before. The best way i can describe it is like a corncrake (running a credit card along a comb) but it was loud and quick. Has anyone got any ideas what this might be?

Thanks
Mistle Thrush perhaps? Their alarm call is a grating rasp.

They're a bit bigger than sparrows mind you...

Yes. The only other bird I can think of with a call like that is Wren: and they're a lot smaller than sparrows and unlikely to be sitting at the top of a tree.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back