• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can we ID birds by their alarm call? (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

Just for interest, I would love to know if many of us can ID a bird by its alarm call.

I am not meaning that we cause problems to alarm birds, but more of a birds 'call' for self preservation from natural preditors.

I find Blackbirds easy for obvious reasons

Wrens and Robins are similar with the Pssks and tssks - so it takes a trained ear to work out which is which bird making any verbal calls

Love to know peoples thoughts ;)

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
I find the Swallow's alarm call very distinctive and away from the nest they are not normally concerned with cats or humans etc. so you can bet there is a Hobby or Sparrowhawk about!

Tony

Rainbow Lorikeets have a specific alarm call for Snakes and Goannas and another for Owls. No mistaking them however whatever the screech!

Yes indeed, many birds' alarm calls are distinctive (Mistle Thrush, Robin, Nightingale ...), but it's also true that they appear to have evolved to be recognisable as alarms by other species, so they have a lot of similarity, particularly between closely-related species.

A lot of people will call "Blackcap" on hearing a "tac", but other Sylvia warblers do that too: there are differences but subtle.

The post above about Swallows is very true, and both they and House Martins have apparently different calls for different dangers: "Hobby !", "Sparrowhawk !" etc but I haven't managed to learn them yet :-C

One of the most characteristic (& easily IDed) sounds in my backyard this time of the year--when there are fledglings about--are the alarm calls of the American Robins (which BTW to my ear are remarkably similar to the alarm calls of the European Blackbird).

Also very distinctive are the alarm calls of the California Quail which infest my yard year round & are always fussing about something--hawks, cats, me . . ..

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back