• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owling tips please (1 Viewer)

Johnno65

Hi people,
Am seeking an photography tips for photographing owls at dusk/early evening when low light is an issue. What techniques and equipment do I need to get some success ? Thank you

Last edited:
You will need a camera that will deal with such things by very high ISO number or have to use flash, in which case you will have to do a lot of experimentation to eliminate red-eye or worse effects.

Mods: could you correct owning to owling as I think people may be avoiding this thread thinking the bloke is a falconer.

John

As has been said, you need a camera which works well in low light so it has to be good at high ISO. You will probably have to spend a fortune on a lens. For instance a Canon 400mm f5.6 lens which is perfectly good for daylight costs in the region of £1100. The f2.8 will be much better during dusk and early evening and will cost between £7000 and £9000.

Wow. I will have to sale the missus car when she is asleep (hehe) , ok guys thanks for the advice will have to put that on the back burner for now.

Wow. I will have to sale the missus car when she is asleep (hehe) , ok guys thanks for the advice will have to put that on the back burner for now.

You can always get a smaller lens if you can get closer or stick to Short-eared owls if you can find them. Photographing Tawny Owls isn't too difficult during the day if you have an idea where to find them. Barn owls will come out during the day, especially if feeding young.

I wouldn't be put off Johnno. Perched birds can be photographed with almost any basic kit if you learn their habits enough to get close as every british species shows in decent light at one time or another. Birds in flight obviously require better kit but nothing exceptionally expensive. I started out with a Nikon d90 and sigma 150-500 lens and got plenty of nice shots of little, barn and short eared owls.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back