• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (4 Viewers)

Brock, you're on to something!
Superior performance has a powerful 'halo effect'. It drives markets, in cars, in electronics, in optics, everywhere.
There is a big segment of the buyers who want the best specifications, full stop. Yet the market leaders, notably Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss, but also Nikon, all seem disinterested in specification marketing.
It may be that standard binocular specifications are so vague as to be meaningless, in which case it is up to the manufacturers to provide better. Perhaps some of the experts on this forum could offer their input as well.
The goal would be to develop the 'Brockometer', a goodness specification that allows for rating binoculars at a specific magnification. Maybe there needs to be a companion slop factor, to measure how likely that model is to be at spec.
Pending arrival of the 'Brockometer', I'd be happy if Zeiss simply provided the buyers with the measurement documentation on the SF and/or on its components. No progress is likely until the customer can see what is considered important to measure. The SF seems like a very good place to start, because it will be offered in small quantities to customers rich enough and presumably savvy enough to appreciate what they are buying.

Who provided the information about the SF being offered only in small quantities to qualified customers with at least $1 million net worth? (okay, I added that last bit, but that's how Internet rumors work, you keep adding to them, that's my contribution) :smoke:

I asked because Jan thinks that information is horse manure.

Jan the Skeptic

"Brockometer," although flattering in a dubious manner, might present a copyright infringement:

Brockometer

Brock

Last edited:
cameraland ny is accepting preorders for sept for $2600
does not seem to exclusive-if one has $2600

edj

Or a $2,600 credit line on your credit card and you don't mind paying whatever interest the company charges (mine was 27%, now it's only 13.5% because I cut my card in half).

But why are we complaining about the price? It's only money. They can always print more. :smoke:

Brock

Do we have solid information from Zeiss that they'll only be manufacturing ten per day?

Laura:

The blog post from above explains that Zeiss explained the production
numbers to the group of 30 at the SF kickoff.
The post was from Laura Kammermeier, also from the US.
It seems she was taking notes and was paying attention when the
details were mentioned.
You mentioned it was over your head, so I am wondering if you
missed some important parts of the event. :t:

Jerry

Laura:

The blog post from above explains that Zeiss explained the production
numbers to the group of 30 at the SF kickoff.
The post was from Laura Kammermeier, also from the US.
It seems she was taking notes and was paying attention when the
details were mentioned.
You mentioned it was over your head, so I am wondering if you
missed some important parts of the event. :t:

Jerry

Thanks for clarifying that, Jerry, I hope Jan is reading this, he thought it was an Internet rumor.

Now that it's been confirmed, the question becomes WHY are they limiting the production?

To make sure they get things right this time so there are no slip-ups like there were with the 54 HTs?

Are they being handcrafted (Bill would like to hear that)?

Or are they limiting production to protect the exclusivity of the product like Ferrari is with their brand?

ferrari-to-cut-production-of-road-cars-to-protect-exclusivity-of-brand/

Brock

Last edited:
Brock and Jerry,

Is it an internet rumor or a blog rumor?

Can you pin that down?

Why don't you lay it out side by side and analyze it?

I'm going to bed. Have it ready for me in the morning!

Bob

Jerry, I was at the same main sessions, and didn't hear anything about producing 10 per day. But we broke out into groups for the factory tour, and she wasn't in my group. So I can't verify what was said, and there is no way we can be certain that they weren't discussing the CURRENT production--that is, production in early June, as they were still ironing out the wrinkles. Feel free to ridicule my unwillingness to pretend I have any expertise in the physics and engineering of optics if you like, but it does seem that unless you actually ask someone at Zeiss, you're don't really know the truth of the matter.

Last edited:
Laura,

Anybody on this forum could pretend physics and engineering expertise rings around you! (Consider yourself ridiculed.)

Thanks so much for sharing what you do know about this interesting new Zeiss.

Ron

Thanks for clarifying that, Jerry, I hope Jan is reading this, he thought it was an Internet rumor.

Now that it's been confirmed, the question becomes WHY are they limiting the production?

To make sure they get things right this time so there are no slip-ups like there were with the 54 HTs?

Or are they limiting production to protect the exclusivity of the product like Ferrari is with their brand?

Brock

Brockamonger

Nothing has been 'confirmed' about SF production until Zeiss has confirmed it.

Over on the thread about the alpha companies Mike Jensen has expressed some surprise and curiosity about the suggestion that SF production will be limited. Here is his reaction:

I seem to be hearing on BF that Zeiss is planning the SF production in some "very limited" quantities. Not sure where this started, can someone point me to the source?​

I don't know the answer to this question but feel Chickadee may well be right when she points to the date when the visit took place ie very early in the production phase when one might expect output to be low and ramping up as the processes are optimised.

Lee

Brock

Brock,

Brock;)

I read it, but common sense wins from sceptisme.
Why would a firm invest a lot of money in a product and resticts itself to produce 10 items a day?
What, IMHO, happened was that the handmade production level (at the time they visited the plant in Wetzlar) was maximum 10 a day and that is what was told over there. Production by series is the next step and a totally different ballgame and presumably never discussed.

Whatever is may have been: a productionline of 10 max a day is not profitable considering the investments and I don't think Zeiss is in this business to loose money.

Jan

Brockamonger

Nothing has been 'confirmed' about SF production until Zeiss has confirmed it.

Over on the thread about the alpha companies Mike Jensen has expressed some surprise and curiosity about the suggestion that SF production will be limited. Here is his reaction:

I seem to be hearing on BF that Zeiss is planning the SF production in some "very limited" quantities. Not sure where this started, can someone point me to the source?​

I don't know the answer to this question but feel Chickadee may well be right when she points to the date when the visit took place ie very early in the production phase when one might expect output to be low and ramping up as the processes are optimised.

Lee

10 units per workday to start with, seems plenty to me*,
and hopefully Zeiss will be pretty paranoid on quality issues,

* 2600 units per year, that's an awful lot of high end binoculars, or!??

Last edited:
Why would a firm invest a lot of money in a product and resticts itself to produce 10 items a day?

Come on Jan, SF is a limited edition bin, just as Swaro has patented the double bridge. Brock has repeated this now really often enough for himself and all of us to be assured it is confirmed facts.

Come on Jan, SF is a limited edition bin, just as Swaro has patented the double bridge. Brock has repeated this now really often enough for himself and all of us to be assured it is confirmed facts.

Florian,

Me so sorry!!
You're absolutely right.
I'm just a small dealer in a iniemieniemutte small country, but.......

Considering my prognose that from this autumn sales on SF versus SV (best sold bin ever) are 70 to 30 and knowing what my ieniemieniemutte country does in SV's, we will probably consume most of the SF worldwide with these production prognoses.

Those 10 a day is pre-production phase and are meanth for fairs, sales samples for the bigger dealers to tease the buyer already etc.

But how to sell this to Brockomania:-C who has all the facts straight.....

Jan

Brock,

Brock;)

I read it, but common sense wins from sceptisme.
What, IMHO, happened was that the handmade production level (at the time they visited the plant in Wetzlar) was maximum 10 a day and that is what was told over there. Production by series is the next step and a totally different ballgame and presumably never discussed.

Whatever is may have been: a productionline of 10 max a day is not profitable considering the investments and I don't think Zeiss is in this business to loose money.

Jan

Jan, Jan, Jan (now greetings are being repeated, not just signatures)...

As my mama used to say, if sense was really that common, more people would have it. ;)

She also used to say: Life is like a box of chocolates, so watch out for the nuts! :eek!:

The debate was about whether or not Zeiss really said they were limiting production, or whether we were to believe something written on the Internet, which is what you posted. You seemed to doubt Zeiss was limiting production, but now you're changing your tune (a much needed musical band smilie goes here).

The debate wasn't about WHY Zeiss was limiting production, that's what I asked in my most recent post after we received confirmation that they did, indeed, say it.

Your answer to that question seems reasonable even though it is conjecture since you have not talked to Zeiss, and we can't contact Mike since he is no longer here and Gary hasn't posted in quite a while, and I think he's staying away on purpose, as he indicated in his last post.

It should be SOP for any new bin to start with limited production to work the bugs out. I'm not sure, however, if this is SOP for Zeiss, because it if were, we shouldn't have seen the problems we did with the 54 HTs.

Perhaps Zeiss is doing this with the SF because it is a new design. That would make sense, common or otherwise. If it the SF was meant to compete with the SV EL, they will need to eventually gear up production to match, although as I mentioned early on, Zeiss is a latecomer to this niche, with the EDG and SV EL preceding it, which makes me wonder how many they will sell besides to Singapore Joe.

Anyway, can't wait for the Zeiss SF giveaway contest. :smoke:

Brock

There is an internet rumor that Zeiss has decided to use the old Astro-Physics method of selling their telescopes in selling these new SFs. Order one and you can get a new book to write in and then read while you are waiting for the tele-er-binocular to be made!:king:

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back