• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Backyard Eastern Iowa (1 Viewer)

Disclaimer: I am a beginning birder so I apologize if this is a common species and the camera quality is not the best (getting a new camera this year but need to save up hehe).

This afternoon I found this guy sitting in the tree next to a few others who looked like him. He eventually went to my ground feeder (where the squirrels have picked out a lot of the seed so the beak is difficult to distinguish). He looked like a sparrow-sized bird but appeared to be a rocky-plumage. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Attachments

• DSCN2212.jpg
    DSCN2212.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN2213.jpg
    DSCN2213.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 55
My first impression was dark-eyed junco, and I think I'll stick with that, though I wish I could see the beak.

The splotchy white patches aren't quite normal. It looks a bit like down poking through the feathers; sometimes birds look a bit like this after getting into a fight or flying into a window.

Thanks for your help! So that would be a female dark-eyed junco, correct? I tried to compare my him to my book and I landed on a song sparrow. One of these days I'll have them down! :)

Last edited:
The only difference between male and female slaty juncos is that adult males are subtly darker. That's tricky to judge from a photo in the best of circumstances. The blurry photo and wierd white blotches make it too hard for me to tell.

PS. The reason I'm somewhat confident in my ID is that the tail has a white edge, quite unlike the tails of most sparrows.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back